Gum Contouring in Glasgow Village, MO
Gum contouring in Glasgow Village, MO. Have you ever felt shy about your smile because of excessive or uneven gums? Do you feel like your teeth are smaller than they should be or that your gums cover most of your teeth? If the answer is yes, gum contouring can help. This cosmetic dental procedure is gaining popularity as a way to help people get the smile they deserve.
Plaza Dental Center is dedicated to helping Glasgow Village, MO residents achieve the smile they’ve always dreamed of. We particularly enjoy helping patients who are anxious in the dentists’ chair, as it’s important to us that everyone gets the dental care needed for a great smile and optimal oral health. If you’re looking to upgrade your smile with gum contouring in Glasgow Village, MO, call Plaza today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.
What Causes Uneven Gums?
There are many factors that can cause uneven gums and gums that make your teeth look small, and they have to do with your teeth, lips, jaws, gum, and bite. The most common causes are:
- Genetics, including having a short upper lip, altered passive eruption, or just having a gene for excess gums
- An upper lip that moves up too high when smiling
- Gingival hypertrophy (enlarged gums)
- Overgrowth of the upper jaw causing gum tissue to bulge out
- An improper bite
- Certain medications that cause gums to grow abnormally
- Poor oral hygiene, such as not brushing and flossing consistently, which can cause the gums to become inflamed and bulge out
- Certain medical conditions, such as some types of tumors, can cause gingival hyperplasia
- Hormonal changes during puberty, pregnancy, and menopause can cause the gums to become more sensitive and prone to overgrowth
Fortunately, having more gum tissue than most doesn’t come with any other health risks. But for those in Glasgow Village, MO who are looking to be prouder of their smile, gum contouring treatment can provide a simple smile makeover.
What is Gum Contouring?
Gum contouring is a relatively simple procedure in which a dentist reshapes your gums to reduce their size. This can be done by removing gum tissues that’s bulged over your teeth or touching up your current gum line to create a more aesthetically pleasing smile. Gum contouring is frequently done using specialized tools to gently remove the gum tissueuntil the dentist achieves the desired shape. Gum contouring can be done in combination with other cosmetic dental procedures in Glasgow Village, MO such as veneers or teeth whitening to achieve a complete smile makeover.
How Gum Contouring Is Done in Glasgow Village, MO
Gum contouring is a simple procedure. After a consultation with your Glasgow Village, MO dentist, the procedure will follow these steps:
- The dentist will begin by going over the procedure with you. They may mark your new gum line with a pen so you can see how your gums will be reshaped.
- Local anesthesia will be administered to prevent any pain during the procedure.
- The dentist will then use a scalpel or laser to carefully remove excess gum tissue and/or reshape the existing gum line.
- The dentist may use sutures to close any incisions made during the procedure.
- Follow-up appointments may be made to monitor the healing process and ensure that the results meet your expectations.
After your visit, your Glasgow Village, MO dentist will tell you how to encourage healing of your gums and minimize any discomfort or swelling.
Gum Contouring Recovery in Glasgow Village, MO
After your visit, you need to ensure your gums heal properly. In addition to your Glasgow Village, MO dentists’ instructions, below are some helpful tips:
- Take over-the-counter pain medication — Gum contouring can result in pain. Your dentist may suggest you take generic pain relievers or prescribe stronger pain relievers if needed.
- Avoid hard, crunchy, or sticky foods — Directly after your appointment, don’t try to chew on any hard, crunchy, or sticky foods that could irritate your gums. Stick to soft, easy-to-chew foods like soups and mashed potatoes.
- Take good care of your teeth — Brush and floss as you usually do, but be gentle around the area where your gums were cut to avoid aggravating anything. Your dentist may also recommend prescription mouthwash to help promote healing.
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol — Smoking and drinking disrupt the body’s healing process and possibly add further complications. You need to avoid them until your dentist says it’s OK.
- Don’t miss your follow-up appointments — Your dentist will likely schedule future appointments to check on how you’re healing and remove stitches (if they were used). Make sure to attend these appointments as doing so could affect your recovery.
In most cases, minor inflammation and sensitivity will resolve themselves after 1-3 days, and most people can go back to full normal activities after a week.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gum Contouring in Glasgow Village, MO
Is Gum Contouring Right For Me?
If you have a “gummy smile”, gum contouring may be a good option for you.
Generally, the only times it isn’t right for someone is if they have a significant underlying dental problem, such as gingivitis, periodontitis, or significant gum recession. Those dental problems are treated differently ensure your mouth is healthy before moving on to cosmetic procedures.
Requesting an appointment with an experienced Glasgow Village, MO dentist will help you understand if gum contouring is right for you.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Gum Contouring?
No surgery is wholly without risks, but gum contouring is simple and safe. In addition to standard swelling or bleeding at first, gum contouring only has two associated risks:
- An uncommon allergic reaction to local anesthetic
- The gums growing back in
Beyond those, common side effects include:
- Pain or discomfort
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
- Changes in tooth shape
- Changes in gum texture
Will My Insurance Pay For MY Gum Contouring?
As gum contouring is a cosmetic dentistry procedure, most insurance will view it as not medically necessary, which means it’s unlikely they’ll cover it. However, at Plaza Dental Center in Glasgow Village, MO, we work with our patients to get them the care they need at an affordable price, for example accepting CareCredit. Contact our office to learn more.
How Long Does It Take to See The Final Results of Gum Contouring?
The final results of gum contouring can take several weeks to appear as the gums heal and adjust to their new shape. However, you will notice some change immediately.
How Long Do The Results of Gum Contouring Last?
The results of gum contouring can last for several years or even a lifetime, depending on your oral hygiene habits and lifestyle factors. It is essential to practice good oral hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing consistently and going for your routine dental appointments. Limiting smoking and alcohol intake can also help preserve the results of gum contouring.
Call Plaza Dental For Your Gum Contouring in Glasgow Village, MO Today
While gum contouring is a relatively simple procedure, it needs to be done by a dentist in Glasgow Village, MO who has the experience and expertise to do it well. Dr. Joseph Cutrona saw many difficult cases early in his career, giving him valuable experience that allows him to get great results. He’s particularly interested in treating Glasgow Village, MO patients who are apprehensive about getting dental work done. If you’re looking to improve your smile with gum contouring in Glasgow Village, MO, call Plaza Dental Center today at 314-361-1818 or request an appointment today.