Gum Contouring in Hazelwood, MO
Gum contouring in Hazelwood, MO. Have you ever felt shy about your smile because of excessive or uneven gums? Do you feel like your teeth are smaller than they should be or that your gums cover most of your teeth? If the answer is yes, gum contouring might be the solution for you. This cosmetic dental procedure is gaining popularity as a way to improve the appearance of one’s smile.
Plaza Dental Center is committed to helping Hazelwood, MO residents get the pearly whites they’ve always wanted. We particularly like treating patients who are anxious about having dental work done, as it’s important to us that everyone gets the dental care they need. If you’re looking to upgrade your smile with gum contouring in Hazelwood, MO, speak to a member of our staff at Plaza today at 314-361-1818 or contact us through our website.
What Causes Uneven Gums?
There are numerous factors that can result in having too much gum tissue, and they involve different aspects of the different parts that make up your mouth. The most common causes are:
- Genetics, including having a short upper lip, altered passive eruption, or simply having a gene for excess gums
- An upper lip that lifts too high when smiling
- Gingival hypertrophy (enlarged gums)
- Overgrowth of the upper jaw causing gum tissue to bulge out
- An incorrect bite
- Certain medications that cause gums to grow in excess
- Poor oral hygiene, such as not brushing and flossing every day, which can cause the gums to become inflamed and bulge out
- Certain medical conditions, for instance Crohn’s disease, can cause abnormal growth in gums
- Hormonal changes during puberty, pregnancy, and menopause can cause the gums to become more sensitive and prone to excess growth
Fortunately, having excess gum doesn’t come with any other health risks. But for those in Hazelwood, MO who are looking to be more comfortable with their smile, gum contouring treatment allows you to get a minimally invasive smile makeover.
What is Gum Contouring?
Gum contouring is a relatively simple procedure in which gums are reshaped to reduce their size. This can be done by removing excess gum tissue or reshaping the existing gum line to give you a more symmetrical smile. The procedure is often done using specialized tools to gently trim away the gum tissue, and the dentist will sculpt the gum line to create the desired shape. Gum contouring can be done alongside other cosmetic dental procedures in Hazelwood, MO like veneers or teeth whitening to make your smile shine.
The Gum Contouring Procedure in Hazelwood, MO
Gum contouring is a simple procedure. After discussing your options with your Hazelwood, MO dentist, the procedure will follow these steps:
- The dentist will begin by discussing the procedure with you. They may draw a line where the new gum line will be so you can see how your gums will be reshaped.
- Local anesthesia will be administered to numb your gums.
- The dentist will reduce or reshape your gum line with a specialized tool.
- The dentist may apply sutures to close any incisions made during the procedure.
- Follow-up appointments may be made to monitor the healing process and ensure that the results meet your expectations.
Once you’re finished, your Hazelwood, MO dentist will teach you how to care for your gums and manage any uncomfortable side effects.
Post-Operative Care For Gum Contouring in Hazelwood, MO
In the days after your visit, you need to take good care of your gums to promote proper healing and minimize any discomfort or complications. In addition to your Hazelwood, MO dentists’ instructions, below are some helpful pieces of advice:
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers — Gum contouring may cause some pain. Your dentist may suggest you take store-bought pain relievers or prescribe stronger medication in some cases.
- Avoid hard, crunchy, or sticky foods — Directly following your appointment, don’t try to chew on any hard, crunchy, or sticky foods that could irritate your gums. Instead, try soft, easy-to-chew foods like smoothies and mashed potatoes.
- Practice good oral hygiene — Brush and floss as normal, but use a lighter hand on the area where your gums were cut to avoid irritation. Your dentist may also recommend a special mouthwash to help encourage healing.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol — Smoking and drinking can slow down the healing process and possibly add further complications. You need to avoid them for at least several days after the procedure.
- Attend follow-up appointments — Your dentist will likely schedule a follow-up appointment to evaluate your healing progress and remove stitches (if they were used). Make sure to attend these appointments as scheduled to ensure a successful recovery.
Typically, minor inflammation and discomfort will subside after several days, and most people can resume their normal routine after a week.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gum Contouring in Hazelwood, MO
Should I Get Gum Contouring?
If you have a “gummy smile”, gum contouring may be an appropriate option for you.
Typically, the only the only “bad” candidates have a more serious underlying dental problem, such as gum disease, periodontitis, or significant gum recession. Those dental problems are treated in their own way ensure your mouth is healthy before moving on to cosmetic procedures.
Requesting an appointment with a knowledgeable Hazelwood, MO dentist is the best way to know if gum contouring is right for you.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Gum Contouring?
No operation is entirely without risks, but gum contouring is simple and safe. In addition to standard swelling or bleeding at first, gum contouring only has two associated risks:
- A rare allergic reaction to local anesthetic
- The gums growing back in
Apart from those, common side effects include:
- Pain or discomfort
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
- Changes in tooth shape
- Changes in gum texture
Will My Insurance Cover Gum Contouring?
As gum contouring is classified as a cosmetic dentistry procedure, most insurance will view it as not medically necessary, which means they likely won’t cover it. However, at Plaza Dental Center in Hazelwood, MO, we work with our patients to get them the care they need without breaking the bank, for example accepting CareCredit. Contact our office for more information.
How Long Does It Take to See The Final Results of Gum Contouring?
You’ll notice the final results after a few weeks as your mouth adapts. However, you should notice considerable improvement in the appearance of your smile immediately after the procedure.
How Long Do The Results of Gum Contouring Last?
The results of gum contouring can last for several years or even a lifetime, depending on your oral hygiene habits and lifestyle factors. You need to maintain good oral hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing regularly and going for your annual dental appointments. Limiting smoking and alcohol intake can also help keep your gums in shape.
Call Plaza Dental For Your Gum Contouring in Hazelwood, MO Today
While gum contouring is a safe and relatively quick procedure, it needs to be done by a dentist in Hazelwood, MO who has the experience and expertise to do it well. Dr. Joseph Cutrona saw many complicated cases during his residency, providing him with valuable experience that allows him to safely and proficiently carry out gun contouring procedures. He’s particularly interested in treating Hazelwood, MO patients who are apprehensive about getting dental work done. If you’re looking to improve your smile with gum contouring in Hazelwood, MO, call Plaza Dental Center today at 314-361-1818 or request an appointment today.