Gingivitis Treatment in Dellwood, MO
Gingivitis Treatment in Dellwood, MO. Have your gums become red or inflamed? Is brushing your teeth painful? Or do you have chronic bad breath? In that case, you may have a case of gingivitis. Plaza Dental offers expert, friendly, and high-quality gingivitis treatment to families and individuals of all ages in Dellwood, MO. We treat each patient as if they were a member of our own family. If you are experiencing symptoms of gingivitis, or just haven’t had your regular cleaning in a long time, call Plaza Dental Center today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.
While gingivitis is occasionally painful, it is usually considered mild. However, if if it is not treated it can lead to more serious dental issues such as periodontitis, tooth loss, and even loss of jaw bone structure. For that reason it’s important to receive gingivitis treatment right away. The CDC has found that nearly half of U.S. adults over 30 have gingivitis or other gum disease, which makes it one of the more prominent health issues in the U.S. If you think you have gingivitis, schedule an appointment with your Dellwood, MO dental team at Plaza Dental for gingivitis treatment today.
Gingivitis Treatment: When Do I Need It?
You should receive professional gingivitis treatment in Dellwood, MO the moment you start to see symptoms. Untreated gingivitis will routinely develop into more advanced gum disease that can only be treated with costly and painful surgeries. Below is some further information on gingivitis and how to know when to seek out gingivitis treatment.
Gingivitis is caused, and gingivitis treatment is required, when plaque accumulates on your teeth and on and below the gum line. This normally develops in three stages:
- Plaque builds up. Plaque occurs when food particles interact with the bacteria that are already in your mouth. Plaque contains bacteria and produces toxins that irritate your gums. Routine dental hygiene is important because plaque builds up quickly.
- Plaque becomes tartar. When plaque is not removed, it hardens under your gums and becomes tartar, which collects bacteria and behaves as a protective shield for more bacteria. Tartar can only be removed by a professional dental cleaning.
- Gingiva become swollen. The gingiva are the part of the gum at the base of your teeth. When tartar and plaque are are allowed to accumulate, they irritate the gingiva and cause swelling. When not treated quickly, gingivitis can lead to serious gum disease and dental problems.
Because gingivitis is the result of a buildup of plaque, improper dental hygiene such as not brushing your teeth consistently or not having regular visits to the dentist’s office is usually the primary culprit. If you haven’t seen the dentist because you’re worried about sitting in the dentist’s chair, Plaza Dental Center will help you feel relaxed. Worried patients are of particular interest to us as we want every Dellwood, MO resident and family to have the professional dental care they need and deserve.
Besides poor good oral hygiene, there are also specific risk factors related to gingivitis, such as:
- Tobacco use
- Old age
- Dry Mouth
- Not fully removing plaque in the gingiva
- Poor nutrition and vitamin C deficiency
- Dental implants that don’t fit properly or crooked teeth
- Certain prescription drugs
- Conditions that lower immunity, such as HIV or leukemia
As you can tell, your gum health can be indicative of your overall health. That’s another good reason to immediately seek gingivitis treatment from an expert Dellwood, MO dental office when symptoms start.
When plaque and tartar accumulate on your teeth and in your gums, your gums will react by becoming irritated and enacting several defense mechanisms. Typical symptoms of gingivitis are:
- Bad breath you cannot get rid of
- Dark red gums
- Receding gums
- Tender gums
- Painful chewing
- New sensitivity to temperature in your mouth
- Bleeding after brushing your teeth
If you suspect you have gingivitis, it is essential to call your local Dellwood, MO dentist right away.
The easiest method of gingivitis treatment is prevention. A good, daily oral health regimen recommended by your Dellwood, MO dentist will generally stop gingivitis before it starts. The best means of prevention are:
- Proper oral hygiene, including:
- Brushing at least 2 minutes, twice a day
- Flossing once a day
- Regular, twice-yearly professional dental cleanings and polishing
- General correct health practices, such as eating well and exercising to keep your immune system healthy
- Not smoking (64 percent of smokers have gum disease)
- Control diabetes if you have it
At Plaza Dental Center, patient education is an indispensable part of our treatment plan for our patients. We want to educate you on how to best take care of your teeth and gums in order to prevent gingivitis and other dental problems. However, sometimes gum disease appears anyway, and that’s when you need trusted Dellwood, MO gingivitis treatment to help your gingivitis disappear before it worsens. Many times, a patient does not notice when gingivitis starts as the symptoms can be minor and not impact their daily quality of life. That is one of the reasons why twice-a-year teeth cleanings by an expert Dellwood, MO dentist are vital. We are able to notice early symptoms of gingivitis and other gum disease and provide you with gingivitis treatment before it worsens.
When you initially get gingivitis treatment from your Dellwood, MO dentist at Plaza Dental, your dentist will strive to diagnose gingivitis rapidly. This most often includes looking at your gums for bleeding, swelling, and/or redness, checking your gingiva for plaque or tartar, measuring the pocket depth of your gums, and checking for loose teeth and gums that pull away from the teeth easily. In most cases, gingivitis is easily stopped and reversed with professional gingivitis treatment.
In more severe cases, more advanced gingivitis treatment may be necessary. Your Dellwood, MO dentist at Plaza Dental will know how to best treat your gingivitis. Some more advanced treatments are:
- Scaling and Root Planning, or Deep Cleaning. After numbing the area they are going to scale, your dentist then will use a special instrument or ultrasonic scaler to scrape under the gums and get rid of the tarter that has accumulated. As scaling can leave the surface of the tooth rough, a Dellwood, MO dentist will then plane the root surfaces to smooth them out. Because smoother surfaces are simpler to brush and clean, scaling and root planing helps fend of further tartar build-up, and has the added benefit of lessening any irritation that may come about from the scaling.
- Dental Restoration. Ill-fitting dental crowns, dental implants, or misaligned teeth will not only irritate your gums but will also make brushing harder, which makes fending off gingivitis more complicated.
- Ongoing Care. Once the plaque and tartar on your teeth and gums are removed, your Dellwood, MO dental team at Plaza Dental will help you create an at-home gingivitis treatment plan and preventative measures to make sure the gingivitis does not return. We will also make your next appointment to make sure your teeth and gums stay healthy.
- Write a Prescription. Antimicrobial mouth wash can help destroy harmful bacteria in your mouth and fend off further gingivitis.
- Gum Surgery. If left untreated, gingivitis can cause serious problems for your gums, which can typically only be cured with surgery. To avoid this last option, make an appointment with your Dellwood, MO dental office at Plaza Dental when you first observe symptoms.
Call Plaza Dental for Your Dellwood, MO Gingivitis Treatment Today
If you have seen the first symptoms of gingivitis, or worry you might have more advanced gum disease, it is imperative that you call Plaza Dental for gingivitis treatment today. Our dental team and staff are courteous, caring, and knowledgeable, and love working with Dellwood, MO individuals and families of all ages. Call Plaza Dental Center today at 314-361-1818 or fill out our online contact form.