Gingivitis Treatment in Glasgow Village, MO
Gingivitis Treatment in Glasgow Village, MO. Have your gums become red or puffy? Does it hurt to brush your teeth? Or do you have bad breath you just can’t get rid of? In that case, you may have a case of gingivitis. Plaza Dental offers expert, friendly, and high-quality gingivitis treatment to families and individuals of all ages in Glasgow Village, MO. We treat each patient like they’re family. If you are showing symptoms of gingivitis, or simply haven’t had your regular dentist’s appointment in a long time, call Plaza Dental Center today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.
While gingivitis is occasionally painful, it is usually considered mild. However, if left untreated it can lead to more severe dental problems such as periodontitis, tooth loss, and even loss of jaw bone structure. So it’s important to receive gingivitis treatment at once. The CDC says that nearly half of U.S. adults over 30 have gingivitis or other gum disease, which makes it one of the more prominent health issues in the U.S. If you believe you have gingivitis, schedule an appointment with your Glasgow Village, MO dental office at Plaza Dental for gingivitis treatment today.
Gingivitis Treatment: When Do I Need It?
You should receive professional gingivitis treatment in Glasgow Village, MO the moment you start to see symptoms. Untreated gingivitis will routinely develop into more severe gum disease that can only be treated with costly and painful surgeries. Below is some further information on gingivitis and how to know when you need gingivitis treatment.
Gingivitis is caused, and gingivitis treatment is necessary, when plaque accumulates on your teeth and on and below the gum line. This usually occurs in three stages:
- Plaque builds up. Plaque occurs when food particles interact with the bacteria that are normally in your mouth. Plaque contains bacteria and produces toxins that irritate your gums. Routine dental hygiene is essential because plaque builds up quickly.
- Plaque becomes tartar. When plaque is allowed to accumulate, it hardens under your gums and becomes tartar, which collects bacteria and acts as a protective shield for more bacteria. The only way to get rid of tartar is with a professional dental cleaning.
- Gingiva become swollen. The gingiva are the part of the gum at the base of your teeth. When tartar and plaque are not removed, they irritate the gingiva and cause inflammation. When not treated properly, gingivitis can lead to serious gum disease and dental problems.
Because gingivitis is the result of a buildup of plaque, improper dental hygiene such as not brushing your teeth regularly or not having regular visits to the dentist’s office is typically the primary culprit. If you haven’t been to the dentist because you’re worried about sitting in the dentist’s chair, Plaza Dental Center will help you feel at ease. Anxious patients are of particular interest to us as we want everyone in Glasgow Village, MO to have the professional dental care they need and deserve.
Besides poor good oral hygiene, there are also specific risk factors associated with gingivitis, including:
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Old age
- Dry Mouth
- Not sufficiently removing plaque in the gingiva
- Poor nutrition and vitamin C deficiency
- Dental implants that don’t fit properly or misaligned teeth
- Certain prescription drugs
- Conditions that lower immunity, such as HIV or leukemia
As you can see, your gum health can hint at your overall health. That’s another good reason to immediately seek gingivitis treatment from an expert Glasgow Village, MO dental office at the first sign of symptoms.
When plaque and tartar accumulate on your teeth and in your gums, your gums will react by becoming irritated and implementing several defense mechanisms. Common symptoms of gingivitis include:
- Bad breath you cannot get rid of
- Dark red gums
- Gum recession
- Tender gums
- Painful chewing
- New sensitivity to temperature in your mouth
- Bleeding when brushing your teeth
If you think you have gingivitis, it is imperative to get in touch with your local Glasgow Village, MO dentist right away.
The easiest method of gingivitis treatment is prevention. A good, daily oral health regimen recommended by your Glasgow Village, MO dentist will usually stop gingivitis before it starts. The best methods of prevention are:
- Proper oral hygiene, including:
- Brushing at least 2 minutes, twice a day
- Flossing once a day
- Regular, twice-yearly professional dental cleanings and polishing
- General proper health practices, such as eating well and exercising to maintain a healthy immune system
- Not smoking (64 percent of smokers have gum disease)
- Control diabetes if you have it
At Plaza Dental Center, patient education is an indispensable part of our treatment plan for our patients. We want to teach you how to best take care of your teeth and gums in order to prevent gingivitis and other dental problems. However, sometimes gum disease emerges anyway, and that’s when you require professional Glasgow Village, MO gingivitis treatment to help your gingivitis go away before it gets worse. Often, a patient does not notice when gingivitis starts as the symptoms can be mild and not affect their daily quality of life. That is one of the reasons why twice-a-year teeth cleanings by a qualified Glasgow Village, MO dentist are so important. We are able to note early symptoms of gingivitis and other dental issues and provide you with gingivitis treatment before it worsens.
When you first seek gingivitis treatment from your Glasgow Village, MO dental office at Plaza Dental, your dentist will strive to diagnose gingivitis quickly. This typically includes looking at your gums for bleeding, swelling, and/or redness, checking your gingiva for plaque or tartar, measuring the pocket depth of your gums, and looking for loose teeth and gums that pull away from the teeth easily. In most cases, gingivitis is easily stopped and reversed with professional gingivitis treatment.
In more serious cases, more advanced gingivitis treatment may be required. Your Glasgow Village, MO dentist at Plaza Dental will know how to best treat your gums. Some more advanced treatments are:
- Scaling and Root Planning, or Deep Cleaning. After numbing the area they are going to scale, your dentist then will utilize a special instrument or ultrasonic scaler to scrape below the gingiva and remove the tarter that has accumulated. As scaling can leave the surface of the tooth rough, a Glasgow Village, MO dentist will then plane the root surfaces to smooth them out. Since smoother surfaces are easier to brush and clean, scaling and root planing helps fend of further tartar build-up, and has the extra benefit of reducing any irritation that may arise from the scaling.
- Restorative Dentistry. Poorly fitted dental crowns, dental implants, or misaligned teeth will not only irritate your gums but will also make brushing more difficult, which makes staving off gingivitis harder.
- Ongoing Care. Once the plaque and tartar on your teeth and gums are removed, your Glasgow Village, MO dentist at Plaza Dental will help you come up with an at-home gingivitis treatment plan and preventative methods to make certain the gingivitis does not reoccur. We will also make your next appointment to make certain your teeth and gums stay healthy.
- Recommend a Prescription. Antimicrobial mouth wash can help kill harmful bacteria in your mouth and fend off further gingivitis.
- Gum Surgery. If left untreated, gingivitis can result in serious issues with your gums, which can generally only be cured with surgery. To avoid this, schedule an appointment with your Glasgow Village, MO dental office at Plaza Dental when you first show symptoms.
Call Plaza Dental for Your Glasgow Village, MO Gingivitis Treatment Today
If you have noticed the first symptoms of gingivitis, or believe you might have more advanced gum disease, it is incredibly important that you get in touch with Plaza Dental for gingivitis treatment today. Our dental team and staff are courteous, caring, and knowledgeable, and enjoy working with Glasgow Village, MO individuals and families no matter how young or old. Call Plaza Dental Center today at 314-361-1818 or fill out our online contact form.