Gingivitis Treatment in Overland, MO
Gingivitis Treatment in Overland, MO. Have your gums become red or puffy? Is brushing your teeth painful? Or do you have bad breath you just can’t get rid of? If that’s the case, you may have a case of gingivitis. Plaza Dental offers expert, friendly, and high-quality gingivitis treatment to families and individuals of all ages in Overland, MO. We treat each patient as if they’re family. If you are showing symptoms of gingivitis, or simply haven’t had your regular dentist’s appointment in a while, call Plaza Dental Center today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.
While gingivitis is occasionally painful, it is typically considered mild. However, if if it is not treated it can lead to more severe dental problems such as periodontitis, tooth loss, and even loss of jaw bone structure. So it’s best to seek out gingivitis treatment right away. The CDC states that nearly half of U.S. adults over 30 have gingivitis or other gum disease, which makes it one of the more common health issues in the U.S. If you think you have gingivitis, make an appointment with your Overland, MO dental office at Plaza Dental for gingivitis treatment today.
Gingivitis Treatment: When Do I Need It?
You should seek professional gingivitis treatment in Overland, MO the minute that symptoms start. Untreated gingivitis will often develop into more serious gum disease that can only be treated with costly and painful surgeries. Below is some more information on gingivitis and how to know when to seek out gingivitis treatment.
Gingivitis is caused, and gingivitis treatment is necessary, when plaque forms on your teeth and on and below the gum line. This generally develops in three stages:
- Plaque builds up. Plaque occurs when food particles interact with the bacteria that are normally in your mouth. Plaque contains bacteria and produces toxins that bother your gums. Routine dental hygiene is essential because plaque builds up quickly.
- Plaque becomes tartar. When plaque is allowed to accumulate, it hardens under your gums and becomes tartar, which collects bacteria and acts as a protective shield for more bacteria. The only way to get rid of tartar is with a professional dental cleaning.
- Gingiva become inflamed. The gingiva are the part of the gum at the base of your teeth. When tartar and plaque are not removed, they irritate the gingiva and cause inflammation. When left untreated, gingivitis can result in serious gum disease and dental problems.
Because gingivitis is the result of a buildup of plaque, poor dental hygiene such as not brushing your teeth twice a day or not having regular visits to your dentist is usually the primary culprit. If you haven’t made an appointment with the dentist because you’re anxious about sitting in the dentist’s chair, Plaza Dental Center will help you feel relaxed. Anxious patients are of particular interest to us as we want everyone in Overland, MO to have the expert dental care they need and deserve.
Besides poor good oral hygiene, there are also certain risk factors associated with gingivitis, including:
- Tobacco use
- Old age
- Dry Mouth
- Not sufficiently removing plaque in the gum line
- Poor nutrition and vitamin C deficiency
- Dental implants that don’t fit properly or misaligned teeth
- Certain prescription drugs
- Conditions that lower immunity, such as HIV or leukemia
As you can see, your gum health can hint at your overall health. That’s another reason why it’s important to immediately seek gingivitis treatment from a professional Overland, MO dental office at the first sign of symptoms.
When plaque and tartar accumulate on your teeth and in your gums, your gums will react by becoming irritated and implementing several defense mechanisms. Common symptoms of gingivitis include:
- Chronic bad breath
- Dark red gums
- Gum recession
- Tender gums
- Painful chewing
- New sensitivity to temperature in your mouth
- Bleeding when brushing your teeth
If you believe you have gingivitis, it is important to get in touch with your local Overland, MO dentist right away.
The simplest method of gingivitis treatment is prevention. A quality, consistent oral health routine recommended by your Overland, MO dentist will almost always stop gingivitis before it starts. The best methods of prevention are:
- Proper oral hygiene, including:
- Brushing at least 2 minutes, twice daily
- Flossing once a day
- Regular, biannual professional dental cleanings and polishing
- General good health practices, such as eating well and exercising to keep your immune system healthy
- Not smoking (64 percent of smokers have gum disease)
- Control diabetes if you have it
At Plaza Dental Center, patient education is an essential part of what we do for our patients. We want to teach you how to best take care of your teeth and gums in order to prevent gingivitis and other dental problems. However, sometimes gum disease appears anyway, and that’s when you need trusted Overland, MO gingivitis treatment to help your gingivitis go away before it intensifies. Often, a patient does not notice when gingivitis starts as the symptoms can be minor and not impact their daily quality of life. That is one of the reasons why biannual teeth cleanings by an expert Overland, MO dentist are vital. We can observe early symptoms of gingivitis and other dental problems and give you gingivitis treatment before it worsens.
When you first seek gingivitis treatment from your Overland, MO dentist at Plaza Dental, your dentist will strive to diagnose gingivitis rapidly. This usually includes checking your gums for bleeding, swelling, and/or redness, checking your gingiva for plaque or tartar, measuring the pocket depth of your gums, and checking for loose teeth and gums that pull away from the teeth easily. In most cases, gingivitis is easily stopped and reversed with professional gingivitis treatment.
In more serious cases, more advanced gingivitis treatment may be required. Your Overland, MO dentist at Plaza Dental will know how to best treat your gingivitis. Some more advanced treatments include:
- Scaling and Root Planning, or Deep Cleaning. After numbing the area they are going to scale, your dentist then will utilize a special instrument or ultrasonic scaler to scrape under the gingiva and remove the tarter that has built up. As scaling can leave the surface of the tooth rough, a Overland, MO dentist will then plane the root surfaces to smooth them out. Since smoother surfaces are easier to brush and clean, scaling and root planing helps stave off further tartar build-up, and has the additional benefit of reducing any irritation that may come about from the scaling.
- Dental Restoration. Poorly fitted dental crowns, dental implants, or misaligned teeth will not only irritate your gums but will also make brushing more difficult, which makes staving off gingivitis harder.
- Ongoing Care. Once the plaque and tartar on your teeth and gums are cleared away, your Overland, MO dentist at Plaza Dental will help you implement an at-home gingivitis treatment plan and preventative methods to ensure the gingivitis does not come back. We will also schedule your next appointment to make certain your teeth and gums stay healthy.
- Write a Prescription. Antimicrobial mouth wash can help destroy harmful bacteria in your mouth and prevent further gingivitis.
- Gum Surgery. If not treated properly, gingivitis can result in serious problems for your gums, which can generally only be treated with surgery. To avoid surgery, schedule an appointment with your Overland, MO dentist at Plaza Dental when you first notice symptoms.
Call Plaza Dental for Your Overland, MO Gingivitis Treatment Today
If you have seen the initial symptoms of gingivitis, or worry you may have more advanced gum disease, it is incredibly important that you get in touch with Plaza Dental for gingivitis treatment right away. Our dental team and staff are friendly, caring, and knowledgeable, and love working with Overland, MO individuals and families of all ages. Call Plaza Dental Center today at 314-361-1818 or fill out our online contact form.