Gingivitis Treatment in Hazelwood, MO
Gingivitis Treatment in Hazelwood, MO. Have your gums become red or swollen? Is brushing your teeth painful? Or do you have chronic bad breath? In that case, you may have a case of gingivitis. Plaza Dental offers qualified, courteous, and high-quality gingivitis treatment to families and individuals of all ages in Hazelwood, MO. We treat each patient like they’re family. If you are showing symptoms of gingivitis, or simply haven’t had your regular dentist’s appointment in a long time, call Plaza Dental Center today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.
While gingivitis can sometimes be painful, it is usually considered mild. However, if left untreated it can lead to more severe dental issues such as periodontitis, tooth loss, and even loss of jaw bone structure. That’s why it’s best to seek out gingivitis treatment right away. The CDC states that nearly half of U.S. adults over 30 have gingivitis or other gum disease, which makes it one of the more prominent health issues in the U.S. If you suspect you have gingivitis, make an appointment with your Hazelwood, MO dental office at Plaza Dental for gingivitis treatment today.
Gingivitis Treatment: When Do I Need It?
You should seek professional gingivitis treatment in Hazelwood, MO the second you start to see symptoms. Untreated gingivitis will routinely develop into more advanced gum disease that can only be treated with costly and painful surgeries. Below is some further information on gingivitis and how to know when to seek out gingivitis treatment.
Gingivitis is caused, and gingivitis treatment is needed, when plaque forms on your teeth and on and below the gum line. This normally develops in three stages:
- Plaque builds up. Plaque occurs as the result of food particles interacting with the bacteria that are already in your mouth. Plaque contains bacteria and produces toxins that irritate your gums. Daily dental hygiene is vital because plaque accumulates quickly.
- Plaque becomes tartar. When plaque is not removed, it hardens under your gums and becomes tartar, which collects bacteria and acts as a protective shield for more bacteria. The only way to get rid of tartar is with a professional dental cleaning.
- Gingiva become swollen. The gingiva are the part of the gum at the base of your teeth. When tartar and plaque are not removed, they irritate the gingiva and cause inflammation. When not treated correctly, gingivitis can cause serious gum disease and dental problems.
Because gingivitis is caused by a buildup of plaque, bad dental hygiene such as not brushing your teeth twice a day or not having regular visits to your dentist is most often the primary culprit. If you haven’t been to the dentist because you’re nervous about sitting in the dentist’s chair, Plaza Dental Center will help you feel relaxed. Anxious patients are of special interest to us as we want every Hazelwood, MO resident and family to have the expert dental care they need and deserve.
Besides poor good oral hygiene, there are also specific risk factors related to gingivitis, such as:
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Old age
- Dry Mouth
- Not sufficiently removing plaque in the gingiva
- Poor nutrition and vitamin C deficiency
- Dental implants that don’t fit properly or misaligned teeth
- Certain prescription drugs
- Conditions that lower immunity, such as HIV or leukemia
As you can see, your gum health can be representative of your overall health. That’s another reason why it’s important to immediately seek gingivitis treatment from a professional Hazelwood, MO dental office at the onset of symptoms.
When plaque and tartar build-up on your teeth and in your gums, your gums will react by becoming irritated and enacting several defense mechanisms. Typical symptoms of gingivitis are:
- Bad breath you cannot get rid of
- Dark red gums
- Receding gums
- Tender gums
- Painful chewing
- New sensitivity to temperature in your mouth
- Bleeding when brushing your teeth
If you suspect you have gingivitis, it is important to call your local Hazelwood, MO dentist right away.
The easiest method of gingivitis treatment is prevention. A good, consistent oral health routine recommended by your Hazelwood, MO dentist will generally stop gingivitis before it starts. The best means of prevention are:
- Proper oral hygiene, including:
- Brushing at least 2 minutes, twice daily
- Flossing once a day
- Regular, twice-yearly professional dental cleanings and polishing
- General good health practices, such as eating well and exercising to keep your immune system up
- Not smoking (64 percent of smokers have gum disease)
- Control diabetes if you have it
At Plaza Dental Center, patient education is a vital part of our treatment plan for our patients. We strive to show you how to best take care of your teeth and gums in order to prevent gingivitis and other dental problems. However, sometimes gum disease emerges anyway, and that’s when you require professional Hazelwood, MO gingivitis treatment to help your gingivitis disappear before it worsens. A lot of times, a patient does not notice when gingivitis starts as the symptoms can be minor and not impact their daily quality of life. That is one of the reasons why biannual teeth cleanings by an expert Hazelwood, MO dentist are vital. We can note early symptoms of gingivitis and other gum disease and provide you with gingivitis treatment before it gets worse.
When you first get gingivitis treatment from your Hazelwood, MO dental office at Plaza Dental, your dentist will work to diagnose gingivitis quickly. This most often means checking your gums for bleeding, swelling, and/or redness, checking your gingiva for plaque or tartar, measuring the pocket depth of your gums, and looking for loose teeth and gums that pull away from the teeth easily. In most cases, gingivitis is easily stopped and reversed with professional gingivitis treatment.
In more progressive cases, more advanced gingivitis treatment may be required. Your Hazelwood, MO dentist at Plaza Dental will understand how to best treat your gums. Some more advanced treatments are:
- Scaling and Root Planning, or Deep Cleaning. Your dentist will first numb the area they are going to scale, then will utilize a special instrument or ultrasonic scaler to scrape below the gums and remove the tarter that has accumulated. As scaling can leave the surface of the tooth rough, a Hazelwood, MO dentist will then plane the root surfaces to make them smoother. As smoother surfaces are simpler to brush and clean, scaling and root planing helps fend of further tartar build-up, and has the additional benefit of reducing any irritation that may come about from the scaling.
- Restorative Dentistry. Ill-fitting dental crowns, dental implants, or crooked teeth will not only irritate your gums but will also make brushing harder, which makes fending off gingivitis more difficult.
- Ongoing Care. Once the plaque and tartar on your teeth and gums are cleared away, your Hazelwood, MO dentist at Plaza Dental will help you create an at-home gingivitis treatment plan and preventative measures to ensure the gingivitis does not reoccur. We will also schedule your next appointment to make certain your teeth and gums stay healthy.
- Write a Prescription. Antimicrobial mouth wash can help get rid of harmful bacteria in your mouth and fend off further gingivitis.
- Gum Surgery. If not treated properly, gingivitis can cause serious problems for your gums, which can usually only be cured with surgery. To avoid this last option, make an appointment with your Hazelwood, MO dental office at Plaza Dental when you first show symptoms.
Call Plaza Dental for Your Hazelwood, MO Gingivitis Treatment Today
If you have shown the first symptoms of gingivitis, or suspect you may have more advanced gum disease, it is incredibly important that you get in touch with Plaza Dental for gingivitis treatment today. Our dental team and staff are friendly, caring, and knowledgeable, and love working with Hazelwood, MO individuals and families no matter how young or old. Call Plaza Dental Center today at 314-361-1818 or fill out our online contact form.