Velda Village, MO Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Velda Village, MO Wisdom Tooth Extraction. Is it time for you or your teenage son or daughter to think about Velda Village, MO wisdom tooth extraction? If they are in their teen or early adult years or if you’re experiencing oral health problems, the answer is very likely “yes!” Wisdom tooth extraction is something many teens, young adults, and adults go through to prevent and protect against the complications incoming wisdom teeth can cause.
Count on the experts for an important procedure like a Velda Village, MO wisdom tooth extraction. At Plaza Dental Center, we are dedicated to providing the best dental treatment for all procedures including wisdom tooth extractions. Contact us today to learn more or make your appointment by calling us at 314-361-1818 or here.
You usually start to see your wisdom teeth come in beginning between the ages of 17 and 25. The wisdom teeth are the third set of adult molars, located in the very back of your mouth. Most of us do not have adequate room in our mouths for these teeth to properly grow in, leading to impaction, straightening problems, and much more significant oral health consequences. It has become common practice to undergo oral surgery for wisdom tooth extraction.
With wisdom tooth extraction typically done in the teen years, it can be seen as a rite of passage of sorts. You’re likely familiar with the concept of wisdom tooth extraction and know you or your children probably need to have it done, but do you know why?
Why You Need Velda Village, MO Wisdom Tooth Extraction
We perform wisdom tooth extraction in Velda Village, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth start to form, they often crowd the mouth and lead to all sorts of potential problems. Even if your wisdom teeth have already grown in long ago and you didn’t do anything about it when you were younger, wisdom tooth removal in Velda Village, MO could be a good option for you yet. The removal of wisdom teeth is used to prevent and treat:
- Impacted wisdom teeth that aren’t able to break through your gums because your jaw is not large enough to accommodate them
- Wisdom teeth that emerge through your gums only part of the way. A layer of gum tissue can then grow over the teeth, becoming a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- One or more wisdom teeth growing in at the wrong angle – the top of the tooth could grow forward, backward, inward, or towards the cheek. This can be troublesome and lead to further dental complications
- Pain, swelling, infection, and inflammation caused by the emergence of wisdom teeth
- Gum disease, tooth decay, bone damage, and the growth of cysts
- Challenges with smile perfecting treatments such as disruption to teeth-straightening measures
- Difficulty maintaining oral hygiene, as the third set of molars are hard to reach when brushing
The Wisdom Tooth Extraction Procedure
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-ray imaging to see where the wisdom teeth are growing. The appointment for the wisdom tooth extraction procedure itself is a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour. Your oral surgeon will make an incision in your gum, take out the tooth and root, clean any remaining debris from the area, and stitch it up. They will administer some sort of anesthesia.
It’s important to closely follow your oral surgeon’s instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. They will likely tell you to do the following:
- Apply ice to miminize swelling
- Take any prescribed medications as needed for pain, or try treating pain with simple over-the-counter pain relievers
- Avoid excess spitting or drinking through a straw so that blood clots can form
- Rest the day of the surgery and avoid strenuous activity for the following week to avoid disrupting the blood clot
- Drink plenty of water, but avoid hot and carbonated beverages for the first day
- Be gentle when brushing your teeth and rinse your mouth gently and often for a week after the surgery
- Abstain from smoking for at least 72 hours after the wisdom tooth extraction
In most cases, after your wisdom tooth removal in Velda Village, MO, you can return to living life as normal in just a few days, with no follow-up needed. You should reach out and seek help if you experience anything troublesome such as ongoing bleeding, a terrible taste, numbness, fever, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
The skilled and knowledgeable staff of Plaza Dental Center is ready to meet your every dental need. Learn about some of our other treatments and services below.
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
- Emergency Dentistry
- Root Canal Therapy
- Dental Bonding
Velda Village, MO Wisdom Tooth Extraction | Plaza Dental Center
A Velda Village, MO wisdom tooth extraction helps many teen and adult patients avoid or get relief from oral problems that the addition of the extra set of molars causes. When you need Velda Village, MO wisdom tooth extraction that is quick and convenient with a speedy recovery and lasting dental benefits, trust Plaza Dental Center. Send us a message or call us at 314-361-1818 today to discuss how we can help you with your wisdom tooth extraction.