Woodson Terrace, MO Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Woodson Terrace, MO Wisdom Tooth Extraction. Do you think it might be time for you or your teenage son or daughter to consider Woodson Terrace, MO wisdom tooth extraction? If they are in their teen or early adult years or if you’re experiencing oral health problems, the answer is very likely “yes!” Wisdom tooth extraction is a common oral surgery that is used to prevent and protect against the complications incoming wisdom teeth can cause.
For a significant dental procedure like a Woodson Terrace, MO wisdom tooth extraction, you need a dependable dental facility. At Plaza Dental Center, we are dedicated to providing the best dental treatment for all procedures including wisdom tooth extractions. Reach out to us today to discuss your needs or make your appointment by calling us at 314-361-1818 or here.
You usually start to see your wisdom teeth come in beginning between the ages of 17 and 25. The wisdom teeth are the third set of adult molars, located in the very back of your mouth. Many of us do not have adequate room in our mouths for these teeth to properly grow in, which often results in impaction, straightening problems, and much more significant oral health consequences. It has become common to undergo oral surgery for wisdom tooth extraction.
Because wisdom tooth extractions are most often done in the teen years, one could consider it as some kind of rite of passage. You are probably familiar with the concept of wisdom tooth extraction and know you or your children probably need to have it done, but do you know why?
Why You Need Woodson Terrace, MO Wisdom Tooth Extraction
We perform wisdom tooth extraction in Woodson Terrace, MO largely as a preventative measure. When wisdom teeth start to form, they often crowd the mouth and lead to a list of potential issues. Even if your wisdom teeth have already grown in long ago and you didn’t do anything about it when you were younger, wisdom tooth removal in Woodson Terrace, MO may still be a good option for you now. The removal of wisdom teeth is used to prevent and treat:
- Impaction, or teeth that aren’t able to break through your gums because there is not enough room
- Wisdom teeth that emerge through your gums only part of the way. A layer of gum tissue can then grow over the teeth, becoming a pocket where food and bacteria can get trapped, inflaming the area and causing infection
- Impacted tooth complications that lead to such problems as infection, damage to other teeth or facial bones, an abscess, or a cyst
- A wisdom tooth or multiple teeth growing in at the wrong angle – the top of the tooth could face forward, backward, towards the inside of the mouth, or towards the cheek. This can be troublesome and lead to further dental complications
- Pain, swelling, infection, and inflammation due to the emergence of wisdom teeth
- Gum disease, tooth decay, bone damage, and the growth of cysts
- Challenges with smile perfecting treatments such as disruption to teeth-straightening measures
- Difficulty maintaining oral hygiene, as the third set of molars are hard to reach when brushing
The Wisdom Tooth Extraction Procedure
In preparation for your wisdom tooth removal, your dentist will take x-ray imaging to see where the wisdom teeth are growing. The actual wisdom tooth extraction procedure will be a quick visit to the office, usually in an about an hour. Your oral surgeon will make an incision in your gum, remove all parts of the tooth, clean any remaining debris from the area, and stitch it up. You will be under some sort of anesthesia.
Follow your oral surgeon’s instructions for care of the extraction site following the surgery. They will likely tell you to do the following:
- Apply ice to miminize swelling
- Take any prescribed medications as needed for pain, or try treating pain with simple over-the-counter pain relievers
- Reduce how often you spit and do not drink through a straw so that blood clots can form
- Rest the day of the surgery and avoid strenuous activity for the following week to avoid disrupting the blood clot
- Drink plenty of water, but avoid hot and carbonated beverages for the first 24 hours
- Be gentle when brushing your teeth and rinse your mouth gently and often during the week after the surgery
- Abstain from smoking for at least 72 hours after the wisdom tooth extraction
Most patients are able to return to life as normal within a few days of the procedure, with no need to follow up with the oral surgeon. However, you should contact the oral surgeon and update them if you notice anything troublesome such as ongoing bleeding, a bad taste, numbness, fever, or dry socket inflammation after a few days.
The skilled and knowledgeable staff of Plaza Dental Center is ready to meet your every dental need. Learn about some of our other treatments and services below.
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
- Emergency Dentistry
- Root Canal Therapy
- Dental Bonding
Woodson Terrace, MO Wisdom Tooth Extraction | Plaza Dental Center
A Woodson Terrace, MO wisdom tooth extraction is a common dental treatment that prevents or aleviates oral problems that the addition of the extra set of molars causes. When you need Woodson Terrace, MO wisdom tooth extraction that is quick and convenient with a speedy recovery and lasting dental benefits, trust Plaza Dental Center. Send us a message or call us at 314-361-1818 today to discuss how we can help you with your wisdom tooth extraction.