Composite Fillings Woodson Terrace, MO
Composite Fillings in Woodson Terrace, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your smile and boost your self-image. At Plaza Dental, we are experts in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Woodson Terrace, MO tooth-colored fillings that are indistinguishable from their other teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or just need a local Woodson Terrace, MO dentist for your examination, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings are a mix of quartz and plastic resin and a filler of finely ground, glass-like particles. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’ve come to be an increasingly popular alternative to dental amalgam fillings for people in Woodson Terrace, MO who need a cavity filled because they look more natural, are cheaper, and amalgam fillings carry the risk of breathing in a small amount of mercury vapor.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also enhance your Woodson Terrace, MO smile by treating:
How Your Composite Fillings Appointment Will Go
Your Woodson Terrace, MO dentist will generally start by providing an in-depth cleaning to the affected area and then administering a local anesthetic to numb the region of your mouth that they’ll be working on. If you need your composite filling because of decay, your dentist will remove unhealthy bits of the tooth with a drill. After, the soft composite filling will be applied in layers. After each layer, your dentist in Woodson Terrace, MO will reinforce the composite filling with a UV light — technically called photopolymerization — in order for the next layer can be applied.
After the entire composite filling is in place, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to look the same as the rest of your teeth, take off any surplus filling, and finally polish the filling. While you might not regain full sensation in your mouth for 4 or 5 hours, and you may experience some slight sensitivity to hot and cold foods and beverages at first, generally, once you leave the dentist’s chair, both the look and functionality of the filling is immediately equal to that of your natural teeth.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
In addition to composite fillings, there are other varieties of fillings, for example also gold, silver amalgam or ceramic. In addition to cost and the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many Woodson Terrace, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is more malleable, which means it can be used to fill smaller cavities and less of your actual, non-decayed tooth has to be chipped away to make room for it.
- Its versatility makes it by far the best option for treating cracks and gaps between teeth.
- The material isn’t affected by temperature, so it won’t cause long-term tooth sensitivity.
- It fastens to your natural tooth, it’s incredibly unlikely that it will fall out, and it helps defend the delicate tooth underneath the filling.
- It’s easily repaired, so a small chip will not lead to a brand new filling like it would for other fillings.
- A composite filling can usually be applied in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings require one appointment to mold your teeth, then a second appointment once the filling has been made in a lab.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One disadvantage to composite fillings is that they do not last as long other varieties of fillings. While metal fillings can last between 10 and 15 years, composite fillings will generally last between 5 and 10 years.
When Do I Need a Composite Filling?
While a worn tooth can be seen by anybody, especially if it’s one of your front teeth, other underlying problems are not as obvious. Some signs you may need composite fillings in Woodson Terrace, MO are:
- Bleeding of the gums may be a sign of gingivitis or another gum disease, which can result in tooth decay and a host of other problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or consistent toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see cracks in the back of your mouth.
- Consistent bad breath, technically called halitosis, can occasionally be a sign of serious dental conditions as well as tooth decay.
While your Woodson Terrace, MO dentist at Plaza Dental can help you with numerous dental problems, they’ll always recommend following good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dental office biannually.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Woodson Terrace, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Woodson Terrace, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that when your smile isn’t what you want it to be it can have an impact on how you see yourself, which is why we’ve committed our practice to helping Woodson Terrace, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. Regardless of the extent of the damage to your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to get them looking great and hopes that when you leave our office you’ll be beaming everywhere. We have a specific interest in helping Woodson Terrace, MO residents who are nervous about sitting in the dentist’s chair, as we believe a great smile and healthy mouth are something everyone has a right to. If you need composite fillings in Woodson Terrace, MO, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.