Composite Fillings Glasgow Village, MO
Composite Fillings in Glasgow Village, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your smile and boost your self-image. At Plaza Dental, we are masters in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Glasgow Village, MO tooth-colored fillings that are identical to their natural teeth. If you have teeth that are decayed or worn out, or just need a local Glasgow Village, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, reach out to Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings are made of quartz and plastic resin and a filler of finely ground, glass-like particles. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’re becoming an increasingly popular alternative to dental amalgam fillings for people in Glasgow Village, MO who need a cavity filled because they appear more natural, are cheaper, and amalgam fillings contain trace amounts of mercury, which can be hazardous for some patients.
In addition to cavities, composite fillings can enhance your Glasgow Village, MO smile by addressing:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Glasgow Village, MO dentist will usually start by providing an in-depth cleaning to the affected area and then applying a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you are getting a composite filling in order to fix a cavity, your dentist will remove unhealthy bits of the tooth with a drill. After, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. Between layers, your dentist in Glasgow Village, MO will coagulate the composite filling with a visible or ultraviolet light — a process known as photopolymerization — so that the next layer can be applied.
After that process is finished, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to bear a resemblance to rest of your teeth, cut out any residue, and lastly polish the filling. While you might not regain full sensation in your mouth for several hours, and you may feel some brief sensitivity to temperature changes at first, generally, once you leave the dentist’s office, both the appearance and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
Apart from composite fillings, there are other varieties of fillings, including also gold, silver amalgam or ceramic. While an obvious benefit of composite is the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many Glasgow Village, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is more pliable, which means it can be used to fill smaller cavities and you do not have to scrap out as much of your actual tooth.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it ideal for fixing cracks and gaps between teeth.
- The material isn’t affected by temperature, so it doesn’t lead to long-term tooth sensitivity.
- It binds to your existing tooth, so it will not fall out, and it helps insulate the sensitive tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as simple as applying new layers, so a small chip will not lead to a brand new filling like it would for other materials.
- It can usually be completed in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need a mold to be made and then sent to a lab.
How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?
One downside to composite fillings is that they will need to be replaced sooner than other kinds of fillings. While metal fillings can last up to 15 years, the average composite filling will need to be replaced in about 7 years.
When Do I Need a Composite Filling?
While a worn tooth is easily viewable, other underlying problems can usually only be diagnosed by a professional. You’ll want to make an appointment with your Glasgow Village, MO dentist immediately for the following reasons:
- Inflammation, redness, or bleeding of the gums may be an indication of gingivitis or another gum disease, which can cause tooth decay and a host of other problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or continual toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see broken teeth in the back of your mouth.
- Persistent bad breath, technically called halitosis, can occasionally be an indication of severe dental problems in addition to tooth decay.
While your Glasgow Village, MO dentist at Plaza Dental is an expert in addressing numerous dental problems, your best option is always to observe good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dentist twice a year.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Glasgow Village, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Glasgow Village, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that when your smile isn’t what you want it to be it can have an impact on how you see yourself, which is why we’ve devoted our practice to helping Glasgow Village, MO residents get that perfect alignment and those pearly whites. No matter the extent of the damage to your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a particular interest in treating Glasgow Village, MO residents who are anxious about sitting in the dentist’s chair, as we believe a shining smile and healthy teeth are something everyone has a right to. If you need composite fillings in Glasgow Village, MO, reach out to Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.