Composite Fillings Maryland Heights, MO
Composite Fillings in Maryland Heights, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your smile and enhance your self-esteem. At Plaza Dental, we are wizards in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Maryland Heights, MO tooth-colored fillings that are identical to their natural teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or just need a nearby Maryland Heights, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, contact Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made from powdered glass quartz particles that are added to a resin base. Our dentist team can customize the fillings so they match your teeth. They’re becoming the number one option over dental amalgam fillings for Maryland Heights, MO residents who need a cavity filled because they look more natural, are cheaper, and amalgam fillings contain trace amounts of mercury, which can be hazardous for some patients.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also improve your Maryland Heights, MO smile by addressing:
How Your Composite Fillings Appointment Will Go
Your Maryland Heights, MO dentist will usually start by meticulously cleaning the damaged area and then employing a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you need your composite filling because of decay, your dentist will remove unwanted bits of the tooth with a drill. Then, the soft composite filling will be applied in layers. After each layer, your dentist in Maryland Heights, MO will harden the composite filling using a visible or ultraviolet light — a process referred to as photopolymerization — so that the next layer can be applied.
Once the entire composite filling is in place, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to bear a resemblance to rest of your teeth, remove any excess, and then polish the tooth. While the numbness may not wear off for 4 or 5 hours, and you may feel some slight sensitivity to hot and cold foods and beverages at first, generally, once you leave the dentist’s office, both the look and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
Apart from composite fillings, there are other varieties of fillings, for example also metal or glass ionomer. While an obvious benefit of composite is the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many Maryland Heights, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is much easier to manipulate, which means it can be used to fill smaller cavities and you do not have to scrap out as much of your actual tooth.
- Its versatility makes it by far the best option for treating cracks and spaces between teeth.
- The material does not react to temperature, so it you won’t have to deal with long-term tooth sensitivity.
- It bonds to your existing tooth, so it will not fall out, and it helps shield the sensitive tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as simple as applying new layers, so a small chip will not result in needing a full replacement like it would for other materials.
- A composite filling can usually be applied in one visit to your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need multiple appointments.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One downside to composite fillings is that they do not last as long other varieties of fillings. While metal fillings can last between 10 and 15 years, composite fillings will generally last between 5 and 10 years.
When Do I Need a Composite Filling?
While a chipped tooth can be seen by anybody, especially if it’s one of your front teeth, other dental problems can usually only be diagnosed by a professional. You’ll want to make an appointment with your Maryland Heights, MO dentist immediately for the following reasons:
- Swelling, redness, or bleeding of the gums may be a sign of gingivitis or another gum disease, which can result in tooth decay and much more serious problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or nonstop toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see broken teeth in the back of your mouth.
- Persistent bad breath, scientifically referred to as halitosis, can occasionally be an indication of serious dental problems including tooth decay.
While your Maryland Heights, MO dentist at Plaza Dental is an expert in addressing any number of dental problems, they’ll always endorse following good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and investing in professional cleanings and polishings biannually.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Maryland Heights, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Maryland Heights, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that having damaged teeth can have an impact on how you see yourself, which is why we’ve committed our practice to helping Maryland Heights, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. No matter the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to get them looking great and hopes that when you leave our office you’ll be beaming everywhere. We have a special interest in helping Maryland Heights, MO residents who are apprehensive about sitting in the dentist’s chair, as we believe a radiant smile and healthy mouth are something everyone has a right to. If you need composite fillings in Maryland Heights, MO, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.