Composite Fillings Shrewsbury, MO
Composite Fillings in Shrewsbury, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help brighten your smile and enhance your confidence. At Plaza Dental, we are experts in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Shrewsbury, MO tooth-colored fillings that are identical to their natural teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or just need a nearby Shrewsbury, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, contact Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made of glass and quartz with resin that combine to produce a tooth colored material. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’re becoming the preferred choice over dental amalgam fillings for people in Shrewsbury, MO who need a cavity filled because of their natural appearance, their relative price, and the fact that amalgam fillings carry the risk of breathing in a trace amount of mercury vapor.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also improve your Shrewsbury, MO smile by treating:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Shrewsbury, MO dentist will typically start by providing an in-depth cleaning to the affected area and then applying a local anesthetic to numb the part of your mouth that they’ll be working on. If you are getting a composite filling in order to fix a cavity, your dentist will remove unwanted bits of the tooth with a drill. Then, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. After each layer, your dentist in Shrewsbury, MO will coagulate the composite filling using a visible or ultraviolet light — technically called photopolymerization — so that the next layer can be applied.
After all the layers have been applied, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to match the rest of your teeth, remove any residue, and then polish the tooth. While the numbness may not wear off for 4 or 5 hours, and you may experience some slight sensitivity to temperature changes for a little while after that, generally, once you leave the dentist’s office, both the look and functionality of the filling is immediately identical to that of your natural teeth.
Advantages to Composite Fillings
Beyond composite fillings, there are other varieties of fillings, for example also gold, silver amalgam or ceramic. While an obvious benefit of composite is the natural look, we’ve found that many Shrewsbury, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is much easier to manipulate, which means it can be used to fill smaller cavities and less of your actual, non-decayed tooth has to be chipped away to make room for it.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it by far the best option for treating cracks and spaces between teeth.
- The material does not react to temperature, so it doesn’t lead to long-term tooth sensitivity.
- It affixes to your natural tooth, it’s incredibly unlikely that it will fall out, and it helps shield the tender tooth underneath the filling.
- It’s easily repaired, so mild damage does not lead to a full replacement like it would for other fillings.
- A composite filling can usually be applied in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need a mold to be made and then sent to a lab.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One drawback to composite fillings is that they will need to be replaced sooner than other varieties of fillings. While metal fillings can last for over a decade, the average composite filling will need to be replaced in about 7 years.
When Do I Need a Composite Filling?
While a chipped tooth is easily viewable, other underlying problems can usually only be diagnosed by a professional. You’ll want to make an appointment with your Shrewsbury, MO dentist immediately for the following reasons:
- Inflammation, redness, or bleeding of the gums may mean that you have gingivitis or another gum disease, which can result in tooth decay and much more serious problems if you do not promptly seek treatment.
- Tooth pain or constant toothaches are often signs that your teeth are suffering from decay.
- Constant bad breath, scientifically called halitosis, can occasionally be a sign of severe dental conditions including tooth decay.
While your Shrewsbury, MO dentist at Plaza Dental specializes in the treatment of numerous dental problems, they’ll always advocate following good oral hygiene and tooth decay prevention such as brushing and flossing and getting professional cleanings and polishings every six months.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Shrewsbury, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Shrewsbury, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that when your smile isn’t what you want it to be it can affect how you see yourself, which is why we’ve committed our practice to helping Shrewsbury, MO residents get that perfect alignment and those pearly whites. Whatever the extent of the damage to your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to get them looking great and hopes that when you leave our office you’ll be beaming everywhere. We have a special interest in treating Shrewsbury, MO residents who are anxious about sitting in the dentist’s chair, as we believe a radiant smile and healthy teeth are something everyone is entitled to. If you need composite fillings in Shrewsbury, MO, contact Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.