Composite Fillings St. Louis, MO
Composite Fillings in St. Louis, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help brighten your smile and boost your confidence. At Plaza Dental, we are masters in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in St. Louis, MO tooth-colored fillings that no one will be able to tell are not your natural teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or are just looking for a nearby St. Louis, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, reach out to Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made of glass and quartz with resin that combine to produce a tooth colored material. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’re becoming the number one option over dental amalgam fillings for St. Louis, MO residents who need a cavity filled because they appear more natural, are cheaper, and amalgam fillings contain trace amounts of mercury, which can be harmful to some patients.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also improve your St. Louis, MO smile by addressing:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your St. Louis, MO dentist will typically start by providing an in-depth cleaning to the damaged area and then putting on a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you are getting a composite filling in order to fix a cavity, your dentist will remove unhealthy bits of the tooth with a drill. After, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. After each layer, your dentist in St. Louis, MO will harden the composite filling with a UV light — a process known as photopolymerization — in order for the next layer can be applied.
After the entire composite filling is in place, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to match the rest of your teeth, cut out any surplus filling, and then polish the filling. While you might not regain full sensation in your mouth for 4 or 5 hours, and you may feel some brief sensitivity to hot and cold foods and beverages for a little while after that, generally, once the procedure is over, both the look and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
Apart from composite fillings, there are other types of fillings, for example also gold, silver amalgam or ceramic. In addition to cost and the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many St. Louis, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is much easier to manipulate, which means it can can fill smaller chips and crevices and you do not have to drill away as much of your actual tooth.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it perfect for fixing cracks and gaps between teeth.
- The material is immune to changes due to temperature, so it you won’t have to deal with persistent tooth sensitivity.
- It fastens to your existing tooth, which makes it much less likely to fall out, and it helps insulate the delicate tooth underneath the filling.
- It’s easily repaired, so mild damage does not result in needing a brand new filling like it would for other fillings.
- A composite filling can usually be applied in one visit to your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need one appointment to mold your teeth, then a second appointment once the filling has been made in a lab.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One drawback to composite fillings is that they tend to be less durable than other types of fillings. While metal fillings can last up to 15 years, the average composite filling will need to be replaced in about 7 years.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a chipped tooth can be seen by anybody, especially if it’s one of your front teeth, other underlying problems are not as obvious. You’ll want to make an appointment with your St. Louis, MO dentist immediately for the following reasons:
- Bleeding of the gums may mean that you have gingivitis or another gum disease, which can lead to tooth decay and a host of other problems if you do not promptly seek treatment.
- Tooth pain or consistent toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see broken teeth in the back of your mouth.
- Consistent bad breath, technically referred to as halitosis, can sometimes be an indication of significant dental conditions and tooth decay.
While your St. Louis, MO dentist at Plaza Dental is an expert in addressing a lot of dental problems, your best option is always to follow good oral hygiene and tooth decay prevention such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dental office every six months.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in St. Louis, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in St. Louis, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that if you’re not proud of your smile it can have an impact on how you see yourself, which is why we’ve dedicated our practice to helping St. Louis, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. Regardless of the extent of the damage to your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a specific interest in seeing St. Louis, MO residents who are anxious about sitting in the dentist’s chair, as we believe a great smile and healthy mouth are something everyone deserves. If you need composite fillings in St. Louis, MO, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.