Composite Fillings Spanish Lake, MO
Composite Fillings in Spanish Lake, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your smile and boost your self-image. At Plaza Dental, we are experts in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Spanish Lake, MO tooth-colored fillings that are indistinguishable from their other teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or are just looking for a local Spanish Lake, MO dentist for your examination, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made of glass and quartz with resin that combine to produce a tooth colored material. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’ve come to be an increasingly popular alternative to dental amalgam fillings for people in Spanish Lake, MO who need a cavity filled because of their natural appearance, their relative affordability, and the fact that amalgam fillings contain the chance of ingesting a small amount of mercury vapor.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also improve your Spanish Lake, MO smile by treating:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Spanish Lake, MO dentist will generally start by scrupulously cleaning the damaged area and then administering a local anesthetic to numb the part of your mouth that they’ll be working on. If you need your composite filling because of decay, your dentist will remove unhealthy bits of the tooth with a drill. After, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. Between layers, your dentist in Spanish Lake, MO will harden the composite filling using a visible or ultraviolet light — a process known as photopolymerization — so that the next layer can be applied.
After that process is finished, your dentist at Plaza Dental will shape it to look the same as the rest of your teeth, trim off any residue, and finally polish the tooth. While your mouth may stay numb for 4 or 5 hours, and you may experience some brief sensitivity to temperature changes at first, generally, once you leave the dentist’s chair, both the appearance and functionality of the filling is immediately equal to that of your natural teeth.
Advantages to Composite Fillings
In addition to composite fillings, there are other varieties of fillings, including also various metals or glass ionomer. While an obvious benefit of composite is the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many Spanish Lake, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is much easier to manipulate, which means it can can fill smaller chips and crevices and less of your actual, non-decayed tooth has to be chipped away to make room for it.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it ideal for eliminating cracks and spaces between teeth.
- The material isn’t affected by temperature, so it you won’t have to deal with persistent tooth sensitivity.
- It fastens to your existing tooth, it’s incredibly unlikely that it will fall out, and it helps insulate the delicate tooth underneath the filling.
- It’s easily repaired, so mild damage does not result in needing a brand new filling like it would for other materials.
- A composite filling can usually be applied in one visit to your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings require one appointment to mold your teeth, then a second appointment once the filling has been made in a lab.
How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?
One drawback to composite fillings is that they tend to be less durable than other kinds of fillings. While some other fillings can last between 10 and 15 years, composite fillings will generally last between 5 and 10 years.
When Do I Need a Composite Filling?
While a chipped tooth is easily viewable, other dental problems can usually only be diagnosed by a professional. Some signs you may need composite fillings in Spanish Lake, MO are:
- Bleeding of the gums may mean that you have gingivitis or another gum disease, which can cause tooth decay and much more serious problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or continual toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see broken teeth in the back of your mouth.
- Nonstop bad breath, officially called halitosis, can occasionally be an indication of serious dental problems including tooth decay.
While your Spanish Lake, MO dentist at Plaza Dental specializes in the treatment of myriad dental problems, they’ll always advocate following good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and getting professional cleanings and polishings every six months.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Spanish Lake, MO:
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office
- Pediatric Dentist
- Dental Restoration
Composite Fillings in Spanish Lake, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that if you’re not proud of your smile it can affect your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve dedicated our practice to helping Spanish Lake, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. Regardless of the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a special interest in helping Spanish Lake, MO residents who are anxious about sitting in the dentist’s chair, as we believe a great smile and healthy mouth are something everyone should have. If you need composite fillings in Spanish Lake, MO, contact Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.