Composite Fillings Olivette, MO
Composite Fillings in Olivette, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your pearly whites and improve your self-image. At Plaza Dental, we are wizards in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Olivette, MO tooth-colored fillings that no one will be able to tell are not your natural teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or just need a nearby Olivette, MO dentist for your examination, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings are a blend of quartz and plastic resin and a filler of finely ground, glass-like particles. Our dentist team can customize the fillings so they match your teeth. They’re becoming the preferred choice over dental amalgam fillings for people in Olivette, MO who need a cavity filled because of their natural appearance, their relative price, and the fact that amalgam fillings contain trace amounts of mercury, which can be dangerous for some patients.
In addition to cavities, composite fillings can enhance your Olivette, MO smile by addressing:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Olivette, MO dentist will usually begin your appointment by providing an in-depth cleaning to the affected area and then employing a local anesthetic to numb the region of your mouth that they’ll be working on. If you are getting a composite filling because of decay, your dentist will remove unwanted bits of the tooth with a drill. Then, the soft composite filling will be applied in layers. After each layer, your dentist in Olivette, MO will solidify the composite filling with a visible or ultraviolet light — technically called photopolymerization — and will continue applying layers one at a time until the entire tooth is fixed.
After that process is finished, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to match the rest of your teeth, remove any residue, and finally polish the tooth. While the numbness may not wear off for 4 or 5 hours, and you may feel some minimal sensitivity to hot and cold foods and beverages at first, generally, once the procedure is over, both the appearance and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Advantages to Composite Fillings
In addition to composite fillings, there are other categories of fillings, such as also metal or ceramic. In addition to cost and the natural look, we’ve found that many Olivette, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is much easier to manipulate, which means it can can fill smaller chips and crevices and you do not have to scrap out as much of your actual tooth.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it by far the best option for fixing cracks and spaces between teeth.
- The material isn’t affected by temperature, so it you won’t have to deal with long-term tooth sensitivity.
- It binds to your existing tooth, it’s incredibly unlikely that it will fall out, and it helps defend the sensitive tooth underneath the filling.
- It’s easily repaired, so mild damage does not lead to a full replacement like it would for other materials.
- It can usually be completed in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings require one appointment to mold your teeth, then a second appointment once the filling has been made in a lab.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One drawback to composite fillings is that they do not last as long other varieties of fillings. While some other fillings can last for over a decade, composite fillings will generally last between 5 and 10 years.
When Do I Need a Composite Filling?
While a broken tooth is easily viewable, other dental problems are not as obvious. Some signs you may need composite fillings in Olivette, MO are:
- Swelling, redness, or bleeding of the gums may mean that you have gingivitis or another gum disease, which can lead to tooth decay and much more serious problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or consistent toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see broken teeth in the back of your mouth.
- Consistent bad breath, officially called halitosis, can often be a sign of serious dental conditions and tooth decay.
While your Olivette, MO dentist at Plaza Dental specializes in the treatment of myriad dental problems, your best option is always to practice good oral hygiene and tooth decay prevention such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dental office twice a year.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Olivette, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Olivette, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that when your smile isn’t what you want it to be it can affect how you see yourself, which is why we’ve committed our practice to helping Olivette, MO residents get that perfect alignment and those pearly whites. No matter the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to get them looking great and hopes that when you leave our office you’ll be smiling everywhere. We have a particular interest in seeing Olivette, MO residents who are worried about going to the dentist, as we believe a great smile and healthy teeth are something everyone deserves. If you need composite fillings in Olivette, MO, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.