Composite Fillings St. Ann, MO
Composite Fillings in St. Ann, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help brighten your pearly whites and enhance your confidence. At Plaza Dental, we specialize in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in St. Ann, MO tooth-colored fillings that no one will be able to tell are not your natural teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or are just looking for a local St. Ann, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made of glass and quartz with resin that combine to produce a tooth colored material. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’ve come to be the number one option over dental amalgam fillings for St. Ann, MO residents who need a cavity filled because they look more natural, are cheaper, and amalgam fillings contain trace amounts of mercury, which can be dangerous for some patients.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also enhance your St. Ann, MO smile by fixing:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your St. Ann, MO dentist will usually start by providing an in-depth cleaning to the affected area and then putting on a local anesthetic to numb the part of your mouth that they’ll be working on. If you are getting a composite filling in order to treat a cavity, your dentist will remove the decayed parts of the tooth. After, the soft composite filling will be applied in layers. Between layers, your dentist in St. Ann, MO will coagulate the composite filling with a UV light — technically called photopolymerization — so that the next layer can be applied.
After that process is finished, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to bear a resemblance to rest of your teeth, cut out any surplus filling, and lastly polish the filling. While your mouth may stay numb for 4 or 5 hours, and you may experience some brief sensitivity to hot and cold foods and beverages for a little while after that, generally, once the composite fillings have been polished, both the look and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Advantages to Composite Fillings
In addition to composite fillings, there are other types of fillings, such as also metal or glass ionomer. While an obvious benefit of composite is the natural look, we’ve found that many St. Ann, MO residents prefer composite because:
- It is more pliable, which means it can be used to fill smaller cavities and you do not have to drill away as much of your actual tooth.
- Its versatility makes it by far the best option for fixing cracks and spaces between teeth.
- The material is immune to changes due to temperature, so it doesn’t lead to long-term tooth sensitivity.
- It binds to your natural tooth, which makes it much less likely to fall out, and it helps shield the sensitive tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as simple as applying new layers, so a small chip will not lead to a full replacement like it would for other fillings.
- A composite filling can usually be applied in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need a mold to be made and then sent to a lab.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One disadvantage to composite fillings is that they tend to be less durable than other types of fillings. While gold fillings can last for over a decade, the average composite filling will need to be replaced between 5 and 10 years.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a worn tooth can be seen by anybody, especially if it’s one of your front teeth, other dental problems can usually only be diagnosed by a professional. Some signs you may need composite fillings in St. Ann, MO are:
- Inflammation, redness, or bleeding of the gums may mean that you have gingivitis or another gum disease, which can lead to tooth decay and much more severe problems if you do not promptly seek treatment.
- Tooth pain or consistent toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see broken teeth in the back of your mouth.
- Persistent bad breath, technically known as halitosis, can at times be a sign of serious dental conditions in addition to tooth decay.
While your St. Ann, MO dentist at Plaza Dental specializes in the treatment of a lot of dental problems, your best option is always to follow good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dentist every six months.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in St. Ann, MO:
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office
- Pediatric Dentist
- Dental Restoration
Composite Fillings in St. Ann, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that if you’re not proud of your smile it can have an impact on your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve devoted our practice to helping St. Ann, MO residents get that perfect alignment and those pearly whites. Whatever the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to get them looking great and hopes that when you leave our office you’ll be smiling everywhere. We have a specific interest in treating St. Ann, MO residents who are worried about having someone working on their mouth, as we believe a brilliant smile and healthy teeth are something everyone is entitled to. If you need composite fillings in St. Ann, MO, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.