Composite Fillings Sunset Hills, MO
Composite Fillings in Sunset Hills, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help brighten your pearly whites and boost your self-image. At Plaza Dental, we are experts in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Sunset Hills, MO tooth-colored fillings that are identical to their natural teeth. If you have teeth that are decayed or broken, or are just looking for a local Sunset Hills, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, reach out to Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings are made of quartz and plastic resin and a filler of finely ground, glass-like particles. Our dentist team can customize the fillings so they match your teeth. They’re becoming the preferred choice over dental amalgam fillings for Sunset Hills, MO residents who need a cavity filled because they appear more natural, are more affordable, and amalgam fillings contain the possibility of inhaling a small amount of mercury vapor.
In addition to cavities, composite fillings can improve your Sunset Hills, MO smile by fixing:
How Dentists Apply Composite Fillings
Your Sunset Hills, MO dentist will generally start by providing an in-depth cleaning to the affected area and then administering a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you are getting a composite filling because of decay, your dentist will remove the decayed parts of the tooth. Then, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. Between layers, your dentist in Sunset Hills, MO will coagulate the composite filling with a visible or ultraviolet light — a process known as photopolymerization — in order for the next layer can be applied.
Once the entire composite filling is in place, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to match the rest of your teeth, trim off any excess, and then polish the tooth. While your mouth may stay numb for several hours, and you may feel some brief sensitivity to hot and cold foods and beverages at first, generally, once you leave the dentist’s chair, both the look and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Advantages to Composite Fillings
Beyond composite fillings, there are other types of fillings, such as also various metals or ceramic. In addition to cost and the natural look, we’ve found that many Sunset Hills, MO residents prefer composite because:
- It is much easier to manipulate, which means it can can fill smaller chips and crevices and less of your actual, non-decayed tooth has to be chipped away to make room for it.
- Its versatility makes it ideal for eliminating cracks and gaps between teeth.
- The material isn’t affected by temperature, so it won’t cause chronic tooth sensitivity.
- It fastens to your natural tooth, it’s incredibly unlikely that it will fall out, and it helps defend the delicate tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as simple as applying new layers, so a small chip will not lead to a brand new filling like it would for other fillings.
- It can usually be completed in one visit to your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need one appointment to mold your teeth, then a second appointment once the filling has been made in a lab.
How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?
One disadvantage to composite fillings is that they do not last as long other varieties of fillings. While metal fillings can last up to 15 years, the average composite filling will need to be replaced in as little as half that time.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a broken tooth is easily viewable, other dental problems can usually only be diagnosed by a professional. You’ll want to contact your Sunset Hills, MO dentist immediately for the following reasons:
- Bleeding of the gums may be a sign of gingivitis or another gum disease, which can cause tooth decay and a host of other problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or continual toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see broken teeth in the back of your mouth.
- Consistent bad breath, scientifically referred to as halitosis, can occasionally be an indication of severe dental conditions including tooth decay.
While your Sunset Hills, MO dentist at Plaza Dental can help you with myriad dental problems, they’ll always advise following good oral hygiene and tooth decay prevention such as brushing and flossing and investing in professional cleanings and polishings every six months.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Sunset Hills, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Sunset Hills, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that when your smile isn’t what you want it to be it can affect your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve committed our practice to helping Sunset Hills, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. Whatever the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a particular interest in helping Sunset Hills, MO residents who are nervous about sitting in the dentist’s chair, as we believe a great smile and healthy mouth are something everyone is entitled to. If you need composite fillings in Sunset Hills, MO, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.