Composite Fillings Webster Groves, MO
Composite Fillings in Webster Groves, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your smile and enhance your confidence. At Plaza Dental, we specialize in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Webster Groves, MO tooth-colored fillings that no one will be able to tell are not your natural teeth. If you have teeth that are decayed or worn out, or are just looking for a nearby Webster Groves, MO dentist for your examination, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made of glass and quartz with resin that combine to produce a tooth colored material. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’ve come to be an increasingly popular alternative to dental amalgam fillings for Webster Groves, MO residents who need a cavity filled because they look more natural, are cheaper, and amalgam fillings contain the possibility of inhaling a small amount of mercury vapor.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also improve your Webster Groves, MO smile by treating:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Webster Groves, MO dentist will generally begin your appointment by thoroughly cleaning the affected area and then applying a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you need your composite filling because of decay, your dentist will remove unhealthy bits of the tooth with a drill. After, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. After each layer, your dentist in Webster Groves, MO will coagulate the composite filling with a UV light — technically called photopolymerization — and will continue applying layers one at a time until the entire tooth is repaired.
After all the layers have been applied, your dentist at Plaza Dental will shape it to match the rest of your teeth, trim off any excess, and finally polish the tooth. While your mouth may stay numb for 4 or 5 hours, and you may feel some minimal sensitivity to temperature changes for a little while after that, generally, once the procedure is over, both the appearance and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Advantages to Composite Fillings
Apart from composite fillings, there are other varieties of fillings, including also various metals or glass ionomer. In addition to cost and the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many Webster Groves, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is more pliable, which means it can can fill smaller chips and crevices and less of your actual, non-decayed tooth has to be chipped away to make room for it.
- Its versatility makes it perfect for fixing cracks and gaps between teeth.
- The material is immune to changes due to temperature, so it doesn’t lead to chronic tooth sensitivity.
- It binds to your natural tooth, it’s incredibly unlikely that it will fall out, and it helps protect the tender tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as simple as applying new layers, so a small chip will not lead to a full replacement like it would for other materials.
- A composite filling can usually be applied in one visit to your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need one appointment to mold your teeth, then a second appointment once the filling has been made in a lab.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One drawback to composite fillings is that they will need to be replaced sooner than other kinds of fillings. While some other fillings can last between 10 and 15 years, the average composite filling will need to be replaced in about 7 years.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a broken tooth can be seen by anybody, especially if it’s one of your front teeth, other dental problems can usually only be diagnosed by a professional. You’ll want to contact your Webster Groves, MO dentist immediately for the following reasons:
- Bleeding of the gums may mean that you have gingivitis or another gum disease, which can result in tooth decay and a host of other problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or constant toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see broken teeth in the back of your mouth.
- Persistent bad breath, technically referred to as halitosis, can sometimes be an indication of significant dental conditions and tooth decay.
While your Webster Groves, MO dentist at Plaza Dental specializes in the treatment of numerous dental problems, your best option is always to practice good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dental office twice a year.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Webster Groves, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Webster Groves, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that if you’re not proud of your smile it can affect your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve committed our practice to helping Webster Groves, MO residents get that perfect alignment and those pearly whites. No matter the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a special interest in treating Webster Groves, MO residents who are anxious about having someone working on their mouth, as we believe a brilliant smile and healthy teeth are something everyone should have. If you need composite fillings in Webster Groves, MO, reach out to Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.