Composite Fillings Crestwood, MO
Composite Fillings in Crestwood, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help brighten your pearly whites and enhance your self-image. At Plaza Dental, we are experts in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Crestwood, MO tooth-colored fillings that are identical to their natural teeth. If you have teeth that are decayed or worn out, or are just looking for a nearby Crestwood, MO dentist for your examination, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made from powdered glass quartz particles that are added to a resin base. Our dentist team can customize the fillings so they match your teeth. They’ve come to be the number one option over dental amalgam fillings for people in Crestwood, MO who need a cavity filled because of their natural appearance, their relative price, and the fact that amalgam fillings carry the chance of inhaling a trace amount of mercury vapor.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also enhance your Crestwood, MO smile by addressing:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Crestwood, MO dentist will usually start by providing an in-depth cleaning to the damaged area and then applying a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you are getting a composite filling in order to fix a cavity, your dentist will remove unhealthy bits of the tooth with a drill. After, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. After each layer, your dentist in Crestwood, MO will reinforce the composite filling using a UV light — technically called photopolymerization — and will continue applying layers one at a time until the entire tooth is repaired.
Once the entire composite filling is in place, your dentist at Plaza Dental will shape it to match the rest of your teeth, trim off any surplus filling, and finally polish the tooth. While the numbness may not wear off for several hours, and you may experience some slight sensitivity to temperature changes at first, generally, once the composite fillings have been polished, both the look and functionality of the filling is immediately identical to that of your natural teeth.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
In addition to composite fillings, there are other varieties of fillings, such as also various metals or ceramic. In addition to cost and the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many Crestwood, MO residents prefer composite because:
- It is more pliable, which means it can be used to fill smaller cavities and less of your actual, non-decayed tooth has to be chipped away to make room for it.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it by far the best option for eliminating cracks and gaps between teeth.
- The material is immune to changes due to temperature, so it doesn’t lead to chronic tooth sensitivity.
- It binds to your natural tooth, it’s incredibly unlikely that it will fall out, and it helps insulate the sensitive tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as simple as applying new layers, so a small chip will not lead to a full replacement like it would for other materials.
- It can usually be completed in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings require one appointment to mold your teeth, then a second appointment once the filling has been made in a lab.
How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?
One disadvantage to composite fillings is that they will need to be replaced sooner than other types of fillings. While metal fillings can last between 10 and 15 years, the average composite filling will need to be replaced in as little as half that time.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a worn tooth is easily viewable, other underlying problems are not as obvious. Some signs you may need composite fillings in Crestwood, MO are:
- Bleeding of the gums may be an indication of gingivitis or another gum disease, which can lead to tooth decay and much more serious problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or constant toothaches can mean that your teeth are starting to decay.
- Continual bad breath, technically referred to as halitosis, can at times be a sign of serious dental conditions including tooth decay.
While your Crestwood, MO dentist at Plaza Dental can help you with myriad dental problems, your best option is always to practice good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and getting professional cleanings and polishings biannually.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Crestwood, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Crestwood, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that if you’re not proud of your smile it can affect how you see yourself, which is why we’ve devoted our practice to helping Crestwood, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. Whatever the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a specific interest in treating Crestwood, MO residents who are anxious about having someone working on their mouth, as we believe a brilliant smile and healthy mouth are something everyone is entitled to. If you need composite fillings in Crestwood, MO, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.