Composite Fillings Bridgeton, MO
Composite Fillings in Bridgeton, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help brighten your smile and boost your self-image. At Plaza Dental, we are wizards in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Bridgeton, MO tooth-colored fillings that no one will be able to tell are not your natural teeth. If you have teeth that are decayed or broken, or are just looking for a nearby Bridgeton, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made of glass and quartz with resin that combine to produce a tooth colored material. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’re becoming the number one option over dental amalgam fillings for Bridgeton, MO residents who need a cavity filled because of their natural appearance, their relative affordability, and the fact that amalgam fillings carry the risk of inhaling a small amount of mercury vapor.
In addition to cavities, composite fillings can enhance your Bridgeton, MO smile by fixing:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Bridgeton, MO dentist will typically start by providing an in-depth cleaning to the affected area and then administering a local anesthetic to numb the region of your mouth that they’ll be working on. If you need your composite filling because of decay, your dentist will scrape away the decayed parts of the tooth. Then, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. Between layers, your dentist in Bridgeton, MO will solidify the composite filling using a UV light — technically called photopolymerization — and will continue applying layers one at a time until the entire tooth is fixed.
After all the layers have been applied, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to match the rest of your teeth, cut out any residue, and finally polish the filling. While the numbness may not wear off for 4 or 5 hours, and you may feel some brief sensitivity to temperature changes for a little while after that, generally, once you leave the dentist’s office, both the look and functionality of the filling is immediately identical to that of your natural teeth.
Advantages to Composite Fillings
In addition to composite fillings, there are other categories of fillings, such as also metal or ceramic. In addition to cost and the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many Bridgeton, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is more pliable, which means it can can fill smaller chips and crevices and you do not have to remove as much of your actual tooth.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it ideal for fixing cracks and spaces between teeth.
- The material isn’t affected by temperature, so it doesn’t lead to long-term tooth sensitivity.
- It binds to your existing tooth, it’s incredibly unlikely that it will fall out, and it helps defend the tender tooth underneath the filling.
- It’s easily repaired, so a small chip will not result in needing a brand new filling like it would for other materials.
- It can usually be completed in one visit to your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need a mold to be made and then sent to a lab.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One disadvantage to composite fillings is that they will need to be replaced sooner than other varieties of fillings. While some other fillings can last for over a decade, the average composite filling will need to be replaced in as little as half that time.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a worn tooth is easily viewable, other underlying problems can usually only be diagnosed by a professional. Some signs you may need composite fillings in Bridgeton, MO are:
- Bleeding of the gums may be an indication of gingivitis or another gum disease, which can lead to tooth decay and a host of other problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or persistent toothaches can mean that your teeth are starting to decay.
- Continual bad breath, scientifically called halitosis, can at times be a sign of serious dental conditions in addition to tooth decay.
While your Bridgeton, MO dentist at Plaza Dental can help you with numerous dental problems, they’ll always endorse following good oral hygiene and tooth decay prevention such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dental office twice a year.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Bridgeton, MO:
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office
- Pediatric Dentist
- Dental Restoration
Composite Fillings in Bridgeton, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that when your smile isn’t what you want it to be it can affect your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve devoted our practice to helping Bridgeton, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. No matter the extent of the damage to your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a specific interest in helping Bridgeton, MO residents who are anxious about sitting in the dentist’s chair, as we believe a brilliant smile and healthy teeth are something everyone deserves. If you need composite fillings in Bridgeton, MO, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.