Composite Fillings University City, MO
Composite Fillings in University City, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your smile and improve your self-esteem. At Plaza Dental, we are wizards in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in University City, MO tooth-colored fillings that are indistinguishable from their natural teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or are just looking for a nearby University City, MO dentist for your examination, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made of glass and quartz with resin that combine to produce a tooth colored material. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’ve come to be the preferred choice over dental amalgam fillings for University City, MO residents who need a cavity filled because of their natural appearance, their relative affordability, and the fact that amalgam fillings contain the chance of ingesting a trace amount of mercury vapor.
In addition to cavities, composite fillings can enhance your University City, MO smile by treating:
How Your Composite Fillings Appointment Will Go
Your University City, MO dentist will typically begin your appointment by thoroughly cleaning the damaged area and then putting on a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you need your composite filling in order to treat a cavity, your dentist will remove the decayed parts of the tooth. Then, the soft composite filling will be applied in layers. After each layer, your dentist in University City, MO will reinforce the composite filling using a UV light — technically called photopolymerization — in order for the next layer can be applied.
After all the layers have been applied, your dentist at Plaza Dental will shape it to match the rest of your teeth, take off any excess, and finally polish the filling. While your mouth may stay numb for 4 or 5 hours, and you may feel some slight sensitivity to temperature changes for a little while after that, generally, once you leave the dentist’s office, both the appearance and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Advantages to Composite Fillings
Beyond composite fillings, there are other categories of fillings, for example also metal or ceramic. While an obvious benefit of composite is the natural look, we’ve found that many University City, MO residents prefer composite because:
- It is more pliable, which means it can be used to fill smaller cavities and less of your actual, non-decayed tooth has to be chipped away to make room for it.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it perfect for fixing cracks and gaps between teeth.
- The material isn’t affected by temperature, so it won’t cause persistent tooth sensitivity.
- It bonds to your existing tooth, so it will not fall out, and it helps shield the tender tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as easy as applying new layers, so slight damage does not lead to a full replacement like it would for other materials.
- It can usually be completed in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need a mold to be made and then sent to a lab.
How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?
One drawback to composite fillings is that they do not last as long other varieties of fillings. While some other fillings can last up to 15 years, the average composite filling will need to be replaced in as little as half that time.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a broken tooth can be seen by anybody, especially if it’s one of your front teeth, other dental problems can usually only be diagnosed by a professional. You’ll want to contact your University City, MO dentist immediately for the following reasons:
- Inflammation, redness, or bleeding of the gums may mean that you have gingivitis or another gum disease, which can cause tooth decay and much more severe problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or nonstop toothaches are often signs that your teeth are suffering from decay.
- Constant bad breath, officially known as halitosis, can often be an indication of severe dental problems including tooth decay.
While your University City, MO dentist at Plaza Dental is an expert in addressing a lot of dental problems, your best option is always to observe good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and going to professional cleanings and polishings every six months.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in University City, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in University City, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that if you’re not proud of your smile it can affect your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve committed our practice to helping University City, MO residents get that perfect alignment and those pearly whites. No matter the extent of the damage to your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a special interest in treating University City, MO residents who are worried about sitting in the dentist’s chair, as we believe a brilliant smile and healthy teeth are something everyone should have. If you need composite fillings in University City, MO, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.