Composite Fillings Bel-Nor, MO
Composite Fillings in Bel-Nor, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your pearly whites and boost your self-esteem. At Plaza Dental, we are wizards in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Bel-Nor, MO tooth-colored fillings that are indistinguishable from their natural teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or just need a local Bel-Nor, MO dentist for your examination, reach out to Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made from powdered glass quartz particles that are added to a resin base. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’ve come to be the preferred choice over dental amalgam fillings for people in Bel-Nor, MO who need a cavity filled because of their natural appearance, their relative cost, and the fact that amalgam fillings carry the risk of ingesting a small amount of mercury vapor.
In addition to cavities, composite fillings can enhance your Bel-Nor, MO smile by fixing:
How Your Composite Fillings Appointment Will Go
Your Bel-Nor, MO dentist will typically begin your appointment by scrupulously cleaning the affected area and then applying a local anesthetic to numb the region of your mouth that they’ll be working on. If you are getting a composite filling in order to fix a cavity, your dentist will remove unwanted bits of the tooth with a drill. Then, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. Between layers, your dentist in Bel-Nor, MO will coagulate the composite filling with a UV light — a process referred to as photopolymerization — so that the next layer can be applied.
Once that process is finished, your dentist at Plaza Dental will shape it to match the rest of your teeth, cut out any residue, and lastly polish the filling. While the numbness may not wear off for several hours, and you may feel some slight sensitivity to temperature changes at first, generally, once the procedure is over, both the look and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
Beyond composite fillings, there are other varieties of fillings, such as also gold, silver amalgam or ceramic. In addition to cost and the natural look, we’ve found that many Bel-Nor, MO residents prefer composite because:
- It is more malleable, which means it can can fill smaller chips and crevices and less of your actual, non-decayed tooth has to be chipped away to make room for it.
- Its versatility makes it by far the best option for fixing cracks and gaps between teeth.
- The material is immune to changes due to temperature, so it doesn’t lead to persistent tooth sensitivity.
- It binds to your existing tooth, it’s incredibly unlikely that it will fall out, and it helps shield the sensitive tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as simple as applying new layers, so a small chip will not result in needing a brand new filling like it would for other materials.
- A composite filling can usually be applied in one visit to your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need one appointment to mold your teeth, then a second appointment once the filling has been made in a lab.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One downside to composite fillings is that they will need to be replaced sooner than other types of fillings. While gold fillings can last between 10 and 15 years, the average composite filling will need to be replaced between 5 and 10 years.
When Do I Need a Composite Filling?
While a broken tooth can be seen by anybody, especially if it’s one of your front teeth, other underlying problems can usually only be diagnosed by a professional. You’ll want to make an appointment with your Bel-Nor, MO dentist immediately for the following reasons:
- Bleeding of the gums may mean that you have gingivitis or another gum disease, which can cause tooth decay and much more severe problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or constant toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see broken teeth in the back of your mouth.
- Persistent bad breath, scientifically known as halitosis, can at times be an indication of serious dental problems and tooth decay.
While your Bel-Nor, MO dentist at Plaza Dental specializes in the treatment of numerous dental problems, your best option is always to observe good oral hygiene and tooth decay prevention such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dentist every six months.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Bel-Nor, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Bel-Nor, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that having damaged teeth can have an impact on your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve committed our practice to helping Bel-Nor, MO residents get that perfect alignment and those pearly whites. No matter the extent of the damage to your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a special interest in treating Bel-Nor, MO residents who are nervous about having someone working on their mouth, as we believe a great smile and healthy teeth are something everyone should have. If you need composite fillings in Bel-Nor, MO, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.