Composite Fillings Normandy, MO
Composite Fillings in Normandy, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help brighten your smile and improve your self-esteem. At Plaza Dental, we are experts in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Normandy, MO tooth-colored fillings that no one will be able to tell are not your natural teeth. If you have teeth that are decayed or broken, or just need a local Normandy, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made of glass and quartz with resin that combine to produce a tooth colored material. Our dentist team can customize the fillings so they match your teeth. They’ve come to be an increasingly popular alternative to dental amalgam fillings for Normandy, MO residents who need a cavity filled because of their natural appearance, their relative affordability, and the fact that amalgam fillings contain trace amounts of mercury, which can be hazardous for some patients.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also improve your Normandy, MO smile by fixing:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Normandy, MO dentist will generally begin your appointment by providing an in-depth cleaning to the damaged area and then putting on a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you are getting a composite filling because of decay, your dentist will remove the decayed parts of the tooth. Then, the soft composite filling will be applied in layers. After each layer, your dentist in Normandy, MO will coagulate the composite filling using a visible or ultraviolet light — technically called photopolymerization — in order for the next layer can be applied.
After the entire composite filling is in place, your dentist at Plaza Dental will shape it to match the rest of your teeth, trim off any surplus filling, and then polish the filling. While you might not regain full sensation in your mouth for several hours, and you may experience some brief sensitivity to temperature changes for a little while after that, generally, once the composite fillings have been polished, both the look and functionality of the filling is immediately identical to that of your natural teeth.
Advantages to Composite Fillings
Beyond composite fillings, there are other types of fillings, such as also various metals or glass ionomer. While an obvious benefit of composite is the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many Normandy, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is more pliable, which means it can be used to fill smaller cavities and you do not have to drill away as much of your actual tooth.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it by far the best option for eliminating cracks and gaps between teeth.
- The material is immune to changes due to temperature, so it doesn’t lead to long-term tooth sensitivity.
- It fastens to your existing tooth, so it will not fall out, and it helps defend the sensitive tooth underneath the filling.
- It’s easily repaired, so modest damage does not result in needing a full replacement like it would for other fillings.
- A composite filling can usually be applied in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings require one appointment to mold your teeth, then a second appointment once the filling has been made in a lab.
How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?
One drawback to composite fillings is that they tend to be less durable than other kinds of fillings. While gold fillings can last up to 15 years, the average composite filling will need to be replaced in about 7 years.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a chipped tooth is easily viewable, other dental problems are not as obvious. Some signs you may need composite fillings in Normandy, MO are:
- Bleeding of the gums may be a sign of gingivitis or another gum disease, which can cause tooth decay and a host of other problems if you do not promptly seek treatment.
- Tooth pain or consistent toothaches can mean that your teeth are starting to decay.
- Constant bad breath, officially known as halitosis, can often be an indication of significant dental problems as well as tooth decay.
While your Normandy, MO dentist at Plaza Dental can help you with numerous dental problems, they’ll always endorse following good oral hygiene and tooth decay prevention such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dental office twice a year.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Normandy, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Normandy, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that when your smile isn’t what you want it to be it can affect your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve committed our practice to helping Normandy, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. No matter the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to get them looking great and hopes that when you leave our office you’ll be beaming everywhere. We have a specific interest in helping Normandy, MO residents who are anxious about going to the dentist, as we believe a great smile and healthy mouth are something everyone deserves. If you need composite fillings in Normandy, MO, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.