Composite Fillings Hazelwood, MO
Composite Fillings in Hazelwood, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help brighten your smile and enhance your self-esteem. At Plaza Dental, we are wizards in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Hazelwood, MO tooth-colored fillings that no one will be able to tell are not your natural teeth. If you have teeth that are decayed or otherwise damaged, or just need a local Hazelwood, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, contact Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made from powdered glass quartz particles that are added to a resin base. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’ve come to be the preferred choice over dental amalgam fillings for people in Hazelwood, MO who need a cavity filled because of their natural appearance, their relative affordability, and the fact that amalgam fillings contain trace amounts of mercury, which can be hazardous for some patients.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also improve your Hazelwood, MO smile by fixing:
How Dentists Apply Composite Fillings
Your Hazelwood, MO dentist will typically start by scrupulously cleaning the affected area and then administering a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you are getting a composite filling because of decay, your dentist will remove unhealthy bits of the tooth with a drill. Then, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. After each layer, your dentist in Hazelwood, MO will solidify the composite filling using a UV light — technically called photopolymerization — and will continue applying layers one at a time until the entire tooth is fixed.
Once that process is finished, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to match the rest of your teeth, take off any excess, and lastly polish the filling. While the numbness may not wear off for 4 or 5 hours, and you may feel some slight sensitivity to hot and cold foods and beverages at first, generally, once the composite fillings have been polished, both the look and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
Beyond composite fillings, there are other varieties of fillings, including also gold, silver amalgam or ceramic. In addition to cost and the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many Hazelwood, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is more pliable, which means it can can fill smaller chips and crevices and less of your actual, non-decayed tooth has to be chipped away to make room for it.
- Its versatility makes it perfect for treating cracks and spaces between teeth.
- The material is immune to changes due to temperature, so it doesn’t lead to long-term tooth sensitivity.
- It affixes to your existing tooth, which makes it much less likely to fall out, and it helps shield the delicate tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as easy as applying new layers, so a small chip will not lead to a brand new filling like it would for other fillings.
- It can usually be completed in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need one appointment to mold your teeth, then a second appointment once the filling has been made in a lab.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One disadvantage to composite fillings is that they do not last as long other kinds of fillings. While gold fillings can last for over a decade, composite fillings will generally last in about 7 years.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a broken tooth is easily viewable, other underlying problems are not as obvious. Some signs you may need composite fillings in Hazelwood, MO are:
- Inflammation, redness, or bleeding of the gums may mean that you have gingivitis or another gum disease, which can lead to tooth decay and much more severe problems if you do not promptly seek treatment.
- Tooth pain or constant toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see cracks in the back of your mouth.
- Continual bad breath, technically referred to as halitosis, can at times be an indication of serious dental conditions as well as tooth decay.
While your Hazelwood, MO dentist at Plaza Dental is an expert in addressing any number of dental problems, they’ll always recommend practicing good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and investing in professional cleanings and polishings biannually.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Hazelwood, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Hazelwood, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that when your smile isn’t what you want it to be it can affect how you see yourself, which is why we’ve devoted our practice to helping Hazelwood, MO residents get that perfect alignment and those pearly whites. Whatever the extent of the damage to your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a particular interest in treating Hazelwood, MO residents who are anxious about going to the dentist, as we believe a brilliant smile and healthy mouth are something everyone deserves. If you need composite fillings in Hazelwood, MO, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.