Periodontal Treatment Hazelwood, MO
Periodontal Treatment in Hazelwood, MO. Periodontal disease, the technical term for gum disease, is is a common, yet serious condition. While cases can range from mild discomfort to significant dental problems, it can affect our daily lives and limit how much we want to smile. If your gums have become irritated, daily activities like brushing your teeth lead to bleeding, or you are experiencing more serious issues like significant gaps between your teeth and gums, it is time to seek periodontal treatment in Hazelwood, MO. Plaza Dental Center is comprised of a caring and friendly staff that treats everyone who walks through our doors as family to they feel comfortable when getting the care they need. For periodontal treatment in Hazelwood, MO, or just a regular cleaning with an expert dentist, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.
Stages of Periodontal Disease | Hazelwood, MO Periodontal Treatment
According to data compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, periodontal disease affects almost half of adults older than 30, and almost three-quarters of seniors suffer from it. Periodontal infections are viewed through two distinct categories: gingivitis as it first starts, and periodontitis if the disease is allowed to progress:
- Gingivitis — Gingivitis is a mild and common form of periodontal disease that is the result of plaque building up on your teeth. If you do not follow good oral health like brushing and flossing, it becomes tartar which can only be removed by a professional dental cleaning. If the tartar is allowed to accumulate, the gingiva, or the the tissue that surrounds the base of the teeth, it causes inflammation, the condition known as gingivitis. You may have gingivitis if you experience:
- Chronic bad breath
- Receding gums
- Sensitive gums
- Painful chewing
- New teeth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Bleeding when brushing
- Periodontitis — Periodontitis is a serious gum disease that occurs when the bacteria which tartar collects and protects spreads deeper into your gums. This creates gaps between your teeth and gums, called periodontal pockets, which becomes a safe have for more bacteria to collect and grow. If you do not immediately seek periodontal therapy, periodontitis can destroy the bone that supports your teeth. Symptoms include:
- Deep red gums
- Gums that bleed easily
- Gaps between your teeth and gums
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- Wobbly teeth
- Tooth loss
- A change in in your bite marks
If you are worried you might have periodontitis, find a qualified Hazelwood, MO dentist for periodontal treatment right away, and call Plaza Dental Center for emergency dental services if a tooth is loose or falls out.
Periodontitis Risk Factors
The development of gingivitis and other periodontal disease is not random. We can make a decision to lower the risk of needing periodontal treatment. Associated risk factors include:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Not going to twice yearly dental cleanings
- Smoking or otherwise using tobacco
- Old age
- Vitamin C deficiency
- Diseases that decrease immunity
- Certain medications
- Certain viral or fungal infections
- Teeth grinding
While we don’t have responsibility over every risk factor, simple and practical steps such as brushing and flossing and twice yearly cleanings and polishings stop the development of gum disease. Twice yearly dental examinations at a professional dental office will spot early warning signs and treat gingivitis before it worsens.
Periodontal Treatment for Gum Disease in Hazelwood, MO
While prevention and care often stave off gum disease, sometimes something happens beyond our control. Once gum disease has progressed, there are a variety of treatment options your Hazelwood, MO dentist can pursue depending on the severity of the disease:
- Antibiotics — In gum disease’s early stages, antibiotics are usually a first recourse for non-invasive procedures. Antibiotics can be applied with antiseptics applied on your periodontal pockets or prescription mouthwash.
- Deep scaling and root planning — Tartar sticks the most to tooth roots. Deep scaling involves using a laser to scrape below gums and remove tartar. Scaling can leave the tooth surface rough, so it is usually followed by root planning, which smooths tooth surfaces, preventing further buildup.
- LANAP or Laser Assisted Regeneration — LANAP is a dental technology which uses a laser to to single out and remove damaged tissue and germs. After exploding and removing damaged tissue, your Hazelwood, MO dentist will use the laser again to create a seal around the tooth which allows gum and bone tissue to regenerate.
- Maxillofacial surgery — Commonly known as oral surgery, this can include osseous surgery, or pocket reduction surgery, to remove bacteria and diseased gum tissue, smooth any damaged bone, and stitches your gum back to the tooth. Your dentist may also perform soft tissue grafts from the roof of your mouth to replace diseased tissue, or a bone graft if the bone at the root of your teeth has been destroyed.
- Other treatment options — Other methods can include guided tissue regeneration, which stimulates the growth of bone affected by periodontal disease. Your Hazelwood, MO dentist may also implement a special gel on a diseased tooth root that also encourages healthy tissue regeneration.
- Dental implants — If you’re seeking periodontal treatment because you’ve already lost a tooth, your dentist implement dental implants, which look, feel, and act just like natural teeth.
Our lead dentist Dr. Joseph Cutrona was met with large, complex cases early on in his dental education. This means he can help Hazelwood, MO residents with mild to severe dental problems. Anxious patients are of particular concern to us. If you have serious gum disease partially caused by anxiety sitting in the dentist’s chair, we’ll do everything possible to make you feel comfortable so you can get the dental care you need.
See what other services we offer in Hazelwood, MO by clicking on the links below:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Hazelwood, MO Periodontal Treatment | Plaza Dental Center
Whether you’re seeking periodontal treatment to relieve redness and swelling and remove tartar, or need to completely restore your smile, Plaza Dental Centers committed, empathetic, and expert Hazelwood, MO team will get you smiling as you leave our office as soon as humanly possible. Everyone deserves a smile they feel confident with, and a healthy mouth that makes things like chewing and brushing pain-free. To make an appointment with the leaders of Hazelwood, MO periodontal treatment, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.