Periodontal Treatment Dellwood, MO
Periodontal Treatment in Dellwood, MO. Periodontal disease, otherwise known as gum disease, is a common condition. While it can cause anything from mild redness to tooth and bone loss, it can affect our daily lives and limit how much we want to smile. If your gums have become irritated, daily tasks like eating are painful, or you are experiencing more serious issues like teeth falling out, do not wait to get periodontal treatment in Dellwood, MO. Plaza Dental Center is comprised of a caring and friendly staff that treats every patient as if they were part of our family in order to break down barriers for apprehensive patients. For periodontal treatment in Dellwood, MO, or just a regular cleaning with a friendly dentist, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.
Stages of Periodontal Disease | Dellwood, MO Periodontal Treatment
According to data from the CDC, 47.2% of adults over 30 have periodontal disease, and almost three-quarters of adults over 65 have it. Periodontal infections are broken down into two distinct categories: gingivitis as it first starts, and periodontitis if you don’t seek treatment in a timely fashion:
- Gingivitis — Gingivitis is a mild and common form of periodontal disease that is the result of plaque building up on your teeth. If the plaque is not removed through proper oral health care, it becomes tartar which is a hard calcified deposit that contributes to decay, and can only be removed by a dentist. If the tartar is allowed to accumulate, the gingiva, or the the tissue that surrounds the base of the teeth, it causes irritation, redness, and swelling, leading to the development of gingivitis. Common symptoms of gingivitis include:
- Bad Breath that won’t go away
- Receding gums
- Sensitive gums
- Pain when eating
- New teeth sensitivity to temperature in your mouth
- Blood on your toothbrush
- Periodontitis — Periodontitis is an advanced gum disease that occurs when gingivitis is not treated. This creating pockets between your teeth and gums where more bacteria will collect. If still left untreated, periodontitis can cause tooth loss and even damage to your jaw bone. Symptoms include:
- Deep red gums
- Gums that bleed easily
- Gaps between your teeth and gums
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- Loose teeth
- Tooth loss
- A change in in your bite marks
At the first sign of periodontitis, reach out to a Dellwood, MO dentist for periodontal treatment immediately, and call Plaza Dental Center for emergency dental services if a tooth is loose or falls out.
Periodontitis Risk Factors
For the most part, we can prevent gingivitis and other periodontal conditions ourselves. We can all practice good oral health that will lower the risk of having to seek out periodontal treatment. Known risk factors include:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Lack of regular professional dental care
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Old age
- Poor nutrition
- Conditions that decrease immunity
- Specific prescription drugs
- Certain viral or fungal infections
- Teeth grinding
While we don’t have responsibility over every risk factor, basic dental health habits such as brushing and flossing and biannually cleanings and polishings stop the development of gum disease. Biannual dental examinations at a professional dentist office will will diagnose and treat gingivitis before it develops into periodontitis.
Periodontal Treatment Methods in Dellwood, MO
While prevention and care often stave off gingivitis and periodontitis, sometimes it’s too little too late. Once gum disease has begins, your Dellwood, MO dentist may implement one or more of the following treatments:
- Antibiotics — In gingivitis’s early stages, antibiotics are usually the easiest and least invasive approach. Antibiotics can be given with topical gels applied between your teeth and gums or medicated mouthwash.
- Deep scaling and root planning — Tartar adheres most strongly to the hardest spots of the enamel on our teeth. Deep scaling refers to a dentist removing plaque and tartar from the periodontal pocket with a laser or ultrasonic scaler. After deep scaling, your dentist will perform root planning, which smooths tooth surfaces, promoting proper healing.
- LANAP or Laser Assisted Regeneration — LANAP is a dental technology which uses a laser to to single out and remove damaged tissue and germs. Once the harmful tissue and bacteria is gone, your Dellwood, MO dentist will use the laser again to reduce the gap between your teeth and gums.
- Maxillofacial surgery — Commonly known as oral surgery, this can include osseous surgery, a procedure that removes damages tissue and encloses the gum back around the tooth. Your dentist may also perform soft tissue grafts from your palate to replace damaged tissue, or a bone graft if your roots or jaw bone have been damaged.
- Other treatment options — Other methods may be guided tissue regeneration, which stimulates the growth of bone affected by gum disease. Your Dellwood, MO dentist may also implement a topical gel on a diseased tooth root that stimulates the growth of healthy bone and tissue.
- Dental implants — If you’re seeking periodontal treatment because you’ve already lost a tooth, the Plaza Dental Center team can insert dental implants to permanently replace those teeth. Your Dellwood, MO dentist will insert a titanium screw into your gums and jaw bone to act as an artificial tooth root, and then cap it with a tooth-colored porcelain crown.
Plaza Dental Center’s Dr. Joseph Cutrona had the unique opportunity to deal with large, complex cases while pursuing his residency at the University of Michigan. This means he has extensive experience with all dental problems and procedures in Dellwood, MO. We are especially interested in patients are nervous about having dental work done. If you have serious gum disease partially caused by anxiety sitting in the dentist’s chair, we’ll ensure you feel calm, confident, and comfortable so you can get back to optimum dental health.
See what other services we offer in Dellwood, MO by clicking on the links below:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dellwood, MO Periodontal Treatment | Plaza Dental Center
Whether you’re looking for periodontal treatment to relieve redness and swelling and prevent further buildup, or need to completely restore your smile, Plaza Dental Centers dedicated, compassionate, and capable Dellwood, MO team will get you smiling as you leave our office in no time. Everyone deserves a smile they feel confident with, and a healthy mouth that makes things like chewing and brushing pain-free. For the highest quality periodontal treatment in Dellwood, MO, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.