Composite Fillings Dellwood, MO
Composite Fillings in Dellwood, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your pearly whites and enhance your self-image. At Plaza Dental, we are wizards in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Dellwood, MO tooth-colored fillings that are identical to their natural teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or just need a nearby Dellwood, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, reach out to Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made from powdered glass quartz particles that are added to a resin base. Our dentist team can customize the fillings so they match your teeth. They’re becoming the number one option over dental amalgam fillings for Dellwood, MO residents who need a cavity filled because they appear more natural, are more affordable, and amalgam fillings contain trace amounts of mercury, which can be harmful to some patients.
In addition to cavities, composite fillings can enhance your Dellwood, MO smile by treating:
- Bruxism, or tooth grinding
- Chipped teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Worn teeth
- Other tooth decay
How Dentists Apply Composite Fillings
Your Dellwood, MO dentist will generally begin your appointment by meticulously cleaning the damaged area and then administering a local anesthetic to numb the part of your mouth that they’ll be working on. If you need your composite filling because of decay, your dentist will scrape away the decayed parts of the tooth. After, the soft composite filling will be applied in layers. Between layers, your dentist in Dellwood, MO will coagulate the composite filling with a visible or ultraviolet light — technically called photopolymerization — in order for the next layer can be applied.
Once the entire composite filling is in place, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to bear a resemblance to rest of your teeth, cut out any residue, and then polish the tooth. While the numbness may not wear off for 4 or 5 hours, and you may feel some minimal sensitivity to temperature changes at first, generally, once you leave the dentist’s chair, both the look and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
Beyond composite fillings, there are other categories of fillings, for example also various metals or glass ionomer. In addition to cost and the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many Dellwood, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is much easier to manipulate, which means it can be used to fill smaller cavities and you do not have to remove as much of your actual tooth.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it by far the best option for treating cracks and spaces between teeth.
- The material isn’t affected by temperature, so it you won’t have to deal with persistent tooth sensitivity.
- It affixes to your existing tooth, it’s incredibly unlikely that it will fall out, and it helps insulate the delicate tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as simple as applying new layers, so modest damage does not lead to a brand new filling like it would for other materials.
- It can usually be completed in one visit to your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings require multiple appointments.
How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?
One disadvantage to composite fillings is that they do not last as long other varieties of fillings. While gold fillings can last between 10 and 15 years, composite fillings will generally last between 5 and 10 years.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a chipped tooth is easily viewable, other underlying problems can usually only be diagnosed by a professional. Some signs you may need composite fillings in Dellwood, MO are:
- Bleeding of the gums may mean that you have gingivitis or another gum disease, which can lead to tooth decay and a host of other problems if you do not promptly seek treatment.
- Tooth pain or constant toothaches can mean that your teeth are starting to decay.
- Constant bad breath, scientifically referred to as halitosis, can at times be a sign of severe dental conditions in addition to tooth decay.
While your Dellwood, MO dentist at Plaza Dental is an expert in addressing myriad dental problems, they’ll always recommend observing good oral hygiene and tooth decay prevention such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dentist biannually.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Dellwood, MO:
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office
- Pediatric Dentist
Composite Fillings in Dellwood, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that having damaged teeth can have an impact on your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve devoted our practice to helping Dellwood, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. Whatever the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a specific interest in treating Dellwood, MO residents who are nervous about sitting in the dentist’s chair, as we believe a great smile and healthy mouth are something everyone is entitled to. If you need composite fillings in Dellwood, MO, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.