Composite Fillings Warson Woods, MO
Composite Fillings in Warson Woods, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your smile and enhance your self-esteem. At Plaza Dental, we specialize in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Warson Woods, MO tooth-colored fillings that no one will be able to tell are not your natural teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or just need a nearby Warson Woods, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made from powdered glass quartz particles that are added to a resin base. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’re becoming the number one option over dental amalgam fillings for people in Warson Woods, MO who need a cavity filled because they appear more natural, are more affordable, and amalgam fillings contain trace amounts of mercury, which can be hazardous for some patients.
In addition to cavities, composite fillings can enhance your Warson Woods, MO smile by treating:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Warson Woods, MO dentist will typically start by scrupulously cleaning the damaged area and then employing a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you need your composite filling because of decay, your dentist will remove the decayed parts of the tooth. After, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. Between layers, your dentist in Warson Woods, MO will harden the composite filling with a visible or ultraviolet light — technically called photopolymerization — in order for the next layer can be applied.
After the entire composite filling is in place, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to match the rest of your teeth, remove any excess, and lastly polish the tooth. While the numbness may not wear off for 4 or 5 hours, and you may experience some slight sensitivity to temperature changes for a little while after that, generally, once the composite fillings have been polished, both the appearance and functionality of the filling is immediately equal to that of your natural teeth.
Advantages to Composite Fillings
Apart from composite fillings, there are other types of fillings, such as also various metals or ceramic. While an obvious benefit of composite is the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many Warson Woods, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is much easier to manipulate, which means it can can fill smaller chips and crevices and you do not have to remove as much of your actual tooth.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it perfect for treating cracks and spaces between teeth.
- The material does not react to temperature, so it you won’t have to deal with persistent tooth sensitivity.
- It affixes to your existing tooth, so it will not fall out, and it helps protect the sensitive tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as simple as applying new layers, so modest damage does not lead to a brand new filling like it would for other fillings.
- It can usually be completed in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings require a mold to be made and then sent to a lab.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One drawback to composite fillings is that they do not last as long other kinds of fillings. While metal fillings can last between 10 and 15 years, the average composite filling will need to be replaced between 5 and 10 years.
When Do I Need a Composite Filling?
While a worn tooth can be seen by anybody, especially if it’s one of your front teeth, other dental problems are not as obvious. Some signs you may need composite fillings in Warson Woods, MO are:
- Swelling, redness, or bleeding of the gums may be a sign of gingivitis or another gum disease, which can result in tooth decay and a host of other problems if you do not promptly seek treatment.
- Tooth pain or constant toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see broken teeth in the back of your mouth.
- Continual bad breath, scientifically called halitosis, can often be a sign of serious dental conditions in addition to tooth decay.
While your Warson Woods, MO dentist at Plaza Dental specializes in the treatment of numerous dental problems, they’ll always advocate observing good oral hygiene and tooth decay prevention such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dentist twice a year.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Warson Woods, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Warson Woods, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that having damaged teeth can affect how you see yourself, which is why we’ve dedicated our practice to helping Warson Woods, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. Regardless of the extent of the damage to your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to get them looking great and hopes that when you leave our office you’ll be beaming everywhere. We have a special interest in treating Warson Woods, MO residents who are anxious about sitting in the dentist’s chair, as we believe a radiant smile and healthy mouth are something everyone should have. If you need composite fillings in Warson Woods, MO, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.