Composite Fillings Velda Village, MO
Composite Fillings in Velda Village, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your smile and enhance your confidence. At Plaza Dental, we are experts in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Velda Village, MO tooth-colored fillings that are identical to their other teeth. If you have teeth that are decayed or broken, or are just looking for a nearby Velda Village, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, get in touch with Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings are made of quartz and plastic resin and a filler of finely ground, glass-like particles. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’ve come to be an increasingly popular alternative to dental amalgam fillings for Velda Village, MO residents who need a cavity filled because of their natural appearance, their relative cost, and the fact that amalgam fillings carry the chance of ingesting a small amount of mercury vapor.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also enhance your Velda Village, MO smile by fixing:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Velda Village, MO dentist will generally begin your appointment by providing an in-depth cleaning to the affected area and then employing a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you are getting a composite filling in order to fix a cavity, your dentist will scrape away the decayed parts of the tooth. Then, the soft composite filling will be applied in layers. Between layers, your dentist in Velda Village, MO will coagulate the composite filling using a UV light — technically called photopolymerization — and will continue applying layers one at a time until the entire tooth is fixed.
After the entire composite filling is in place, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to look the same as the rest of your teeth, remove any excess, and lastly polish the filling. While you might not regain full sensation in your mouth for several hours, and you may experience some brief sensitivity to temperature changes for a little while after that, generally, once the composite fillings have been polished, both the appearance and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
Beyond composite fillings, there are other categories of fillings, such as also various metals or ceramic. While an obvious benefit of composite is the fact that it’s tooth-colored, we’ve found that many Velda Village, MO residents prefer composite because:
- It is much easier to manipulate, which means it can can fill smaller chips and crevices and less of your actual, non-decayed tooth has to be chipped away to make room for it.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it ideal for fixing cracks and spaces between teeth.
- The material isn’t affected by temperature, so it won’t cause chronic tooth sensitivity.
- It fastens to your existing tooth, so it will not fall out, and it helps shield the delicate tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as simple as applying new layers, so a small chip will not lead to a full replacement like it would for other materials.
- A composite filling can usually be applied in one visit to your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need a mold to be made and then sent to a lab.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One downside to composite fillings is that they will need to be replaced sooner than other types of fillings. While gold fillings can last up to 15 years, composite fillings will generally last between 5 and 10 years.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a chipped tooth is easily viewable, other dental problems are not as obvious. Some signs you may need composite fillings in Velda Village, MO are:
- Bleeding of the gums may mean that you have gingivitis or another gum disease, which can cause tooth decay and much more serious problems if you do not promptly seek treatment.
- Tooth pain or continual toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see broken teeth in the back of your mouth.
- Continual bad breath, scientifically called halitosis, can sometimes be an indication of serious dental problems and tooth decay.
While your Velda Village, MO dentist at Plaza Dental can help you with numerous dental problems, your best option is always to practice good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dental office every six months.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Velda Village, MO:
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office
- Pediatric Dentist
- Dental Restoration
Composite Fillings in Velda Village, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that when your smile isn’t what you want it to be it can have an impact on your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve dedicated our practice to helping Velda Village, MO residents get that perfect alignment and those pearly whites. Regardless of the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to get them looking great and hopes that when you leave our office you’ll be beaming everywhere. We have a special interest in treating Velda Village, MO residents who are anxious about having someone working on their mouth, as we believe a brilliant smile and healthy teeth are something everyone is entitled to. If you need composite fillings in Velda Village, MO, reach out to Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.