Composite Fillings Ferguson, MO
Composite Fillings in Ferguson, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your pearly whites and enhance your confidence. At Plaza Dental, we are wizards in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Ferguson, MO tooth-colored fillings that no one will be able to tell are not your natural teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or are just looking for a nearby Ferguson, MO dentist for your examination, reach out to Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made of glass and quartz with resin that combine to produce a tooth colored material. Our dentist team can customize the fillings so they match your teeth. They’re becoming the preferred choice over dental amalgam fillings for people in Ferguson, MO who need a cavity filled because they appear more natural, are cheaper, and amalgam fillings contain trace amounts of mercury, which can be dangerous for some patients.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also enhance your Ferguson, MO smile by fixing:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Ferguson, MO dentist will usually begin your appointment by providing an in-depth cleaning to the affected area and then administering a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you need your composite filling because of decay, your dentist will remove the decayed parts of the tooth. Then, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. After each layer, your dentist in Ferguson, MO will coagulate the composite filling using a UV light — technically called photopolymerization — so that the next layer can be applied.
After the entire composite filling is in place, your dentist at Plaza Dental will shape it to bear a resemblance to rest of your teeth, take off any surplus filling, and lastly polish the filling. While your mouth may stay numb for several hours, and you may feel some slight sensitivity to temperature changes at first, generally, once you leave the dentist’s chair, both the appearance and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Advantages to Composite Fillings
In addition to composite fillings, there are other categories of fillings, such as also metal or ceramic. In addition to cost and the natural look, we’ve found that many Ferguson, MO residents prefer composite because:
- It is more malleable, which means it can be used to fill smaller cavities and you do not have to drill away as much of your actual tooth.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it ideal for treating cracks and spaces between teeth.
- The material isn’t affected by temperature, so it you won’t have to deal with chronic tooth sensitivity.
- It fastens to your natural tooth, which makes it much less likely to fall out, and it helps defend the sensitive tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as simple as applying new layers, so modest damage does not lead to a brand new filling like it would for other materials.
- It can usually be completed in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need a mold to be made and then sent to a lab.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One disadvantage to composite fillings is that they do not last as long other types of fillings. While some other fillings can last between 10 and 15 years, the average composite filling will need to be replaced in as little as half that time.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a broken tooth is easily viewable, other underlying problems can usually only be diagnosed by a professional. Some signs you may need composite fillings in Ferguson, MO are:
- Inflammation, redness, or bleeding of the gums may be an indication of gingivitis or another gum disease, which can lead to tooth decay and much more serious problems if you do not promptly seek treatment.
- Tooth pain or nonstop toothaches are often signs that your teeth are suffering from decay.
- Persistent bad breath, technically known as halitosis, can often be an indication of serious dental problems and tooth decay.
While your Ferguson, MO dentist at Plaza Dental is an expert in addressing numerous dental problems, they’ll always recommend practicing good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dental office every six months.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Ferguson, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Ferguson, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that if you’re not proud of your smile it can have an impact on how you see yourself, which is why we’ve devoted our practice to helping Ferguson, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. No matter the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a specific interest in helping Ferguson, MO residents who are anxious about going to the dentist, as we believe a brilliant smile and healthy teeth are something everyone has a right to. If you need composite fillings in Ferguson, MO, contact Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.