Composite Fillings Riverview Gardens, MO
Composite Fillings in Riverview Gardens, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help brighten your smile and improve your confidence. At Plaza Dental, we are experts in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Riverview Gardens, MO tooth-colored fillings that are indistinguishable from their other teeth. If you have teeth that are decayed or broken, or are just looking for a local Riverview Gardens, MO dentist for your examination, reach out to Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings are a mix of quartz and plastic resin and a filler of finely ground, glass-like particles. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’re becoming the number one option over dental amalgam fillings for Riverview Gardens, MO residents who need a cavity filled because of their natural appearance, their relative affordability, and the fact that amalgam fillings carry the possibility of inhaling a small amount of mercury vapor.
In addition to cavities, composite fillings can enhance your Riverview Gardens, MO smile by addressing:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Riverview Gardens, MO dentist will generally begin your appointment by meticulously cleaning the affected area and then putting on a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you need your composite filling in order to fix a cavity, your dentist will scrape away the decayed parts of the tooth. After, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. After each layer, your dentist in Riverview Gardens, MO will solidify the composite filling using a UV light — technically called photopolymerization — and will continue applying layers one at a time until the entire tooth is repaired.
After that process is finished, your dentist at Plaza Dental will shape it to bear a resemblance to rest of your teeth, trim off any residue, and lastly polish the filling. While the numbness may not wear off for several hours, and you may feel some slight sensitivity to temperature changes at first, generally, once the composite fillings have been polished, both the look and functionality of the filling is immediately identical to that of your natural teeth.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
In addition to composite fillings, there are other varieties of fillings, such as also gold, silver amalgam or glass ionomer. While an obvious benefit of composite is the natural look, we’ve found that many Riverview Gardens, MO residents prefer composite because:
- It is more pliable, which means it can be used to fill smaller cavities and less of your actual, non-decayed tooth has to be chipped away to make room for it.
- Its versatility makes it perfect for fixing cracks and gaps between teeth.
- The material is immune to changes due to temperature, so it you won’t have to deal with chronic tooth sensitivity.
- It binds to your existing tooth, so it will not fall out, and it helps defend the delicate tooth underneath the filling.
- It’s easily repaired, so a small chip will not lead to a brand new filling like it would for other fillings.
- It can usually be completed in one visit to your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings require one appointment to mold your teeth, then a second appointment once the filling has been made in a lab.
How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?
One drawback to composite fillings is that they will need to be replaced sooner than other types of fillings. While gold fillings can last up to 15 years, composite fillings will generally last in about 7 years.
When Do I Need a Composite Filling?
While a chipped tooth can be seen by anybody, especially if it’s one of your front teeth, other underlying problems are not as obvious. Some signs you may need composite fillings in Riverview Gardens, MO are:
- Bleeding of the gums may mean that you have gingivitis or another gum disease, which can cause tooth decay and much more serious problems if you do not promptly seek treatment.
- Tooth pain or continual toothaches can indicate decay or hard-to-see broken teeth in the back of your mouth.
- Consistent bad breath, scientifically called halitosis, can often be a sign of serious dental problems and tooth decay.
While your Riverview Gardens, MO dentist at Plaza Dental is an expert in addressing numerous dental problems, they’ll always endorse following good oral hygiene and tooth decay prevention such as brushing and flossing and making cleaning and polishing appointments with your dental office every six months.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Riverview Gardens, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Riverview Gardens, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that when your smile isn’t what you want it to be it can affect your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve devoted our practice to helping Riverview Gardens, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. Regardless of the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to get them looking great and hopes that when you leave our office you’ll be beaming everywhere. We have a particular interest in seeing Riverview Gardens, MO residents who are anxious about having someone working on their mouth, as we believe a brilliant smile and healthy teeth are something everyone deserves. If you need composite fillings in Riverview Gardens, MO, reach out to Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.