Composite Fillings Jennings, MO
Composite Fillings in Jennings, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help brighten your pearly whites and improve your self-image. At Plaza Dental, we are masters in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Jennings, MO tooth-colored fillings that no one will be able to tell are not your natural teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or are just looking for a nearby Jennings, MO dentist for your standard cleaning, contact Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made from powdered glass quartz particles that are added to a resin base. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’ve come to be the preferred choice over dental amalgam fillings for Jennings, MO residents who need a cavity filled because of their natural appearance, their relative cost, and the fact that amalgam fillings contain trace amounts of mercury, which can be hazardous for some patients.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also improve your Jennings, MO smile by fixing:
The Composite Fillings Procedure
Your Jennings, MO dentist will typically begin your appointment by providing an in-depth cleaning to the affected area and then putting on a local anesthetic to numb the region of your mouth that they’ll be working on. If you need your composite filling in order to treat a cavity, your dentist will scrape away the decayed parts of the tooth. Then, they will add the soft composite filling to your teeth in layers. Between layers, your dentist in Jennings, MO will solidify the composite filling using a UV light — technically called photopolymerization — and will continue applying layers one at a time until the entire tooth is repaired.
After the entire composite filling is in place, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to look the same as the rest of your teeth, remove any excess, and then polish the tooth. While your mouth may stay numb for 4 or 5 hours, and you may feel some slight sensitivity to hot and cold foods and beverages at first, generally, once the procedure is over, both the look and functionality of your teeth are immediately restored.
Advantages to Composite Fillings
Beyond composite fillings, there are other varieties of fillings, such as also various metals or glass ionomer. In addition to cost and the natural look, we’ve found that many Jennings, MO residents also choose composite because:
- It is more malleable, which means it can can fill smaller chips and crevices and less of your actual, non-decayed tooth has to be chipped away to make room for it.
- Its flexibility before being hardened makes it perfect for eliminating cracks and gaps between teeth.
- The material does not react to temperature, so it doesn’t lead to long-term tooth sensitivity.
- It binds to your natural tooth, it’s incredibly unlikely that it will fall out, and it helps shield the sensitive tooth underneath the filling.
- Repairing it is as easy as applying new layers, so a small chip will not lead to a brand new filling like it would for other materials.
- A composite filling can usually be applied in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings require multiple appointments.
How Durable Are Composite Fillings?
One downside to composite fillings is that they will need to be replaced sooner than other types of fillings. While gold fillings can last between 10 and 15 years, the average composite filling will need to be replaced in about 7 years.
Signs You May Need a Composite Filling
While a worn tooth can be seen by anybody, especially if it’s one of your front teeth, other underlying problems are not as obvious. You’ll want to make an appointment with your Jennings, MO dentist immediately for the following reasons:
- Bleeding of the gums may be a sign of gingivitis or another gum disease, which can lead to tooth decay and a host of other problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or consistent toothaches can mean that your teeth are starting to decay.
- Constant bad breath, officially called halitosis, can at times be an indication of serious dental conditions and tooth decay.
While your Jennings, MO dentist at Plaza Dental specializes in the treatment of myriad dental problems, they’ll always recommend observing good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and getting professional cleanings and polishings twice a year.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Jennings, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Jennings, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that when your smile isn’t what you want it to be it can have an impact on your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve dedicated our practice to helping Jennings, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. Regardless of the extent of the damage to your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to restore them along with your self-image. We have a special interest in seeing Jennings, MO residents who are anxious about going to the dentist, as we believe a great smile and healthy teeth are something everyone deserves. If you need composite fillings in Jennings, MO, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.