Composite Fillings Florissant, MO
Composite Fillings in Florissant, MO. Treating cavities and other tooth damage with composite fillings can help bring back your your pearly whites and boost your self-image. At Plaza Dental, we are masters in restorative and cosmetic dentistry to give people in Florissant, MO tooth-colored fillings that no one will be able to tell are not your natural teeth. If you have damaged teeth, or are just looking for a nearby Florissant, MO dentist for your examination, reach out to Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or make an appointment online.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings made from powdered glass quartz particles that are added to a resin base. Our dentist team will color the fillings so they look natural alongside your other teeth. They’ve come to be an increasingly popular alternative to dental amalgam fillings for Florissant, MO residents who need a cavity filled because they appear more natural, are cheaper, and amalgam fillings carry the risk of ingesting a small amount of mercury vapor.
While cavities are the main reason people get composite fillings, they can also improve your Florissant, MO smile by addressing:
How Your Composite Fillings Appointment Will Go
Your Florissant, MO dentist will generally start by providing an in-depth cleaning to the damaged area and then employing a local anesthetic to numb the gums and tooth. If you need your composite filling because of decay, your dentist will remove the decayed parts of the tooth. After, the soft composite filling will be applied in layers. Between layers, your dentist in Florissant, MO will harden the composite filling using a UV light — a process referred to as photopolymerization — and will continue applying layers one at a time until the entire tooth is fixed.
After that process is finished, your dentist at Plaza Dental will manipulate the filling to match the rest of your teeth, cut out any residue, and then polish the filling. While your mouth may stay numb for several hours, and you may experience some slight sensitivity to temperature changes at first, generally, once you leave the dentist’s office, both the appearance and functionality of the filling is immediately identical to that of your natural teeth.
Benefits of Composite Fillings
Beyond composite fillings, there are other categories of fillings, for example also various metals or glass ionomer. In addition to cost and the natural look, we’ve found that many Florissant, MO residents prefer composite because:
- It is much easier to manipulate, which means it can be used to fill smaller cavities and you do not have to remove as much of your actual tooth.
- Its versatility makes it perfect for fixing cracks and gaps between teeth.
- The material does not react to temperature, so it doesn’t lead to chronic tooth sensitivity.
- It bonds to your existing tooth, it’s incredibly unlikely that it will fall out, and it helps protect the sensitive tooth underneath the filling.
- It’s easily repaired, so mild damage does not result in needing a brand new filling like it would for other fillings.
- It can usually be completed in one appointment with your St. Louis dentist, while other fillings need one appointment to mold your teeth, then a second appointment once the filling has been made in a lab.
How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?
One drawback to composite fillings is that they do not last as long other kinds of fillings. While gold fillings can last up to 15 years, the average composite filling will need to be replaced in as little as half that time.
When Do I Need a Composite Filling?
While a chipped tooth can be seen by anybody, especially if it’s one of your front teeth, other dental problems are not as obvious. You’ll want to make an appointment with your Florissant, MO dentist immediately for the following reasons:
- Inflammation, redness, or bleeding of the gums may be an indication of gingivitis or another gum disease, which can lead to tooth decay and a host of other problems if untreated.
- Tooth pain or nonstop toothaches can mean that your teeth are starting to decay.
- Continual bad breath, officially known as halitosis, can occasionally be a sign of severe dental problems in addition to tooth decay.
While your Florissant, MO dentist at Plaza Dental can help you with myriad dental problems, your best option is always to practice good oral hygiene and preventive care such as brushing and flossing and going to professional cleanings and polishings every six months.
Check out the links below to see some of the other services we offer in Florissant, MO:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Composite Fillings in Florissant, MO | Dental Plaza
We know that having damaged teeth can have an impact on your appearance and confidence, which is why we’ve committed our practice to helping Florissant, MO residents achieve the smile of their dreams. Whatever the the current condition of your teeth, Plaza Dental is here to get them looking great and hopes that when you leave our office you’ll be beaming everywhere. We have a special interest in treating Florissant, MO residents who are worried about going to the dentist, as we believe a great smile and healthy mouth are something everyone has a right to. If you need composite fillings in Florissant, MO, call Plaza Dental today at 314-361-1818 or contact us online.