Dental Bridges in Bel-Ridge, MO
Dental bridges in Bel-Ridge, MO. When gaps in your teeth are affecting your confidence and how your teeth function, dental bridges may be an option you should consider. Dental bridges are a type of cosmetic dentistry where a crown, anchored by teeth on either side of the gap, is placed over the gap. They help you regain function and appearance after the loss of a tooth. Dental bridges must be custom-fitted, and they get your smile and jaw health back to their original form. Consider a consultation with Plaza Dental Center to see if dental bridges are right for you. Call Plaza today at (314)-361-1818 or contact us online. Be proud of your smile again.
What Are Dental Bridges?
When you’ve either lost a tooth or have had a tooth removed, your existing teeth will move to fill in the gap. This can lead to other dental problems. A good way to remedy this is to have dental bridges inserted over your existing teeth. When you go for a dental bridge, your Bel-Ridge, MO dentist will post caps on the teeth on either side of the gap, referred to as abutment teeth. These crowns anchor the “bridge” that fills in the gap. Dental bridges are made of a few different materials:
- Porcelain — Porcelain is a favorite among many as it can be color-matched to the surrounding teeth, making it look natural. Porcelain is also relatively sturdy and stain-resistant.
- Alloy — Metal dental bridges are known for their strength and resilience. They are often used for back teeth that require to be more durable for eating.
- Composite resin — Composite resin is also the color of natural teeth, and it’s bonded to the abutment teeth to support the bridge. It is not as durable as other materials but can be used for front teeth as they don’t need to be as resilient.
- Zirconia — Zirconia has recently started being used for dental bridges, and it’s durable and has a natural color. It is often used for both front and back teeth.
- Gold — These dental bridges do not erode as much as other bridges. Gold dental bridges also have antibacterial properties.
Types of Dental Bridges in Bel-Ridge, MO
While dental bridges are a common solution to many dental problems, different mouths require different approaches. Your Bel-Ridge, MO dentist will be able to tell you which type is best for you. There are four main types of dental bridges:
- Traditional dental bridges — This type of bridge involves making a cap for the teeth on either side of the missing tooth, with a pontic (a false tooth) in between. This is the most common type of dental bridge and is often used when the patient still has teeth on either side of the missing tooth.
- Cantilever dental bridges — These are similar to traditional bridges, but they only need one natural tooth or implant to support the pontic. In this case, you only need one natural tooth next to the gap.
- Maryland dental bridges — These involving placing wings on each side of the back of the artificial tooth and bonding them to the adjacent teeth. These are particularly useful when the gap is in your front teeth.
- Implant-supported dental bridges — Rather than being connected to natural teeth, these bridges are supported by dental implants, which are surgically implanted titanium posts. Implant-supported bridges are a good option when several teeth in a row are missing. These can lost longer than other kinds of bridges but requires healthy gums and adequate bone density for the screws to be implanted.
The type of dental bridge best for you will depend on where in your mouth the gaps in the teeth are and any other dental work your mouth may need. If you think dental bridges may be right for you, request an appointment through our website to consult with a knowledgeable Bel-Ridge, MO dentist.
Procedure for Getting a Dental Bridge in Bel-Ridge, MO
Getting dental bridges in Bel-Ridge, MO is an easy process, however it does take place in several steps. Here is the usual procedure in Bel-Ridge, MO:
- First consultation with the dentist — Your dentist carry out an examination of your mouth and determine if a dental bridge is the best option for you. They will also discuss the different types of dental bridges and which might be best for you.
- Teeth Preparation — If your dentist recommended a traditional or cantilever bridge, the two adjacent teeth will need to be prepped by removing part of the enamel and dentin. This is done to make room for the dental crowns that will be placed over the teeth to anchor the bridge.
- Tooth impression — An impression of the teeth will be made to create a model for the bridge and pontic. This model is sent to a dental laboratory, where a bridge will be custom-manufactured for your unique mouth.
- Temporary bridge — At the same appointment your Bel-Ridge, MO dentist may place a temporary bridge to give you form and function while you wait for your unique bridge. This will help protect your mouth until you’re waiting for your permanent bridge.
- Fitting and adjustment of the bridge — When you’re permanent bridge arrives, it will be fitted and adjusted to ensure a proper fit. The dentist will work to ensure that the bridge fits nicely into your teeth and gums.
- Follow-up appointments and care — Once your permanent dental bridge is implanted, you’ll need follow-up appointments to ensure that there are no unanticipated issues.
At Plaza Dental Center in Bel-Ridge, MO, we understand that not everyone loves being in the dentists’ chair, especially for multiple procedures and appointments. That’s why Dr. Joseph Cutrona is especially interested in breaking down barriers and getting apprehensive Bel-Ridge, MO patients the great dental care they need. Whatever your comfort level at the dentist is, we can help.
Benefits of Dental Bridges in Bel-Ridge, MO
Dental bridges implanted by an experienced Bel-Ridge, MO can return the structure and function of your teeth like you never thought possible. Dental bridges offer a lot of benefits:
- Improved oral health — Dental bridges can help maintain the natural shape of your face. When there’s a gap in your teeth, the remaining teeth can shift out of place, causing problems with your bite and leading to gum disease and tooth decay.
- Improved appearance — Dental bridges can give you a smile makeover that can restore your smile and help boost your confidence. They look exactly like your natural teeth, so no one will be able to tell the difference.
- It’s easier to chew and talk — Dental bridges can help with any speech or eating problems you may have. When in there are gaps in your teeth, chewing can be challenging, which can lead to digestive problems. Dental bridges can help you regain natural ways of chewing and speaking, allowing you to eat any food and reducing problems you may have had with speech.
- Preventing further damage to the remaining teeth — Dental bridges can help prevent further damage to your remaining teeth by distributing the pressure evenly. When you have gaps between your teeth, your natural teeth have to bear more weight when you chew and speak. This can lead to broken teeth like cracks and other damage. Dental bridges distribute the pressure evenly around your teeth.
Caring for Your Dental Bridges
With adequate oral hygiene, most dental bridges can last over a decade. However, not taking care of them properly could lead you to need a replacement after just a few short years. Caring for dental bridges is essential to make sure the benefits don’t go away. A lot of what you need to do is keep your existing teeth and gums healthy and strong so they can keep supporting the bridge. The following is some general advice for taking care of your dental bridges in Bel-Ridge, MO:
- Brush and floss every day — Every dentist will recommend that you brush your teeth twice daily and floss once every day. Make sure to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Use a floss threader or interdental brush to clean out the plaque and bacteria under the bridge and between the teeth.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash — Rinse your mouth with a fluoride mouthwash after brushing and flossing to help prevent tooth decay.
- Avoid sticky and hard foods — It’s a good idea to avoid eating sticky or hard foods that could damage your dental bridges. Examples include chewy candies, hard nuts, and ice.
- Don’t forget your regular dental appointments — As with anyone else, you should have dental examinations and cleanings and polishings every six months. Your dentist will be able to check the condition of your dental bridges and make any necessary adjustments.
- Consider a nightguard — If you grind or clench your teeth at night, it may be best to invest in a nightguard.
By following these tips, you can help ensure the lovely smiled you’ve restored is here to stay.
Contact Plaza Dental Center for Your Dental Bridges in Bel-Ridge, MO
Missing teeth can cause discomfort, embarrassment, and can even affect a person’s ability to eat and speak properly. Fortunately, dental bridges are a proven solution no matter how many teeth are missing. If you want to get your functional and beautiful smile back, Plaza Dental Center in Bel-Ridge, MO is here to help. Call us today at (314)-361-1818 or contact us online for your dental bridges in Bel-Ridge, MO.