Dental Bridges in Hanley Hills, MO
Dental bridges in Hanley Hills, MO. When gaps in your teeth are affecting your self-esteem and how your teeth function, dental bridges could be your answer. Dental bridges are a form of cosmetic dentistry where dental covers are placed over a gap in your tooth. They provide form and security to your teeth and gumline if you’ve experienced tooth loss or other dental problems. Dental bridges are custom-tailored to your specific needs, and they return your smile back to those pearly whites. Consider an appointment with Plaza Dental Center to learn if dental bridges are an appropriate solution for your needs. Call Plaza today at (314)-361-1818 or contact us online. Be proud of your smile again.
How Do Dental Bridges Work?
When you’ve either lost a tooth or have had a tooth removed, your other teeth can move to compensate for the loss in your bite. This can cause other complications for your gum health and teeth. A good way to remedy this is to have dental bridges that literally bridge the gap between your natural teeth. If you get a dental bridge, your Hanley Hills, MO dentist will place crowns on the teeth adjacent to the gap, called abutment teeth. These crowns anchor the “bridge” that fills in the gap. Dental bridges can be made from several different materials:
- Porcelain — Porcelain is a favorite among many as it can be color-matched to the surrounding teeth, making it appear like it’s one of your original teeth. Porcelain is also resistant to stains and is durable.
- Metal — Metal dental bridges are made from alloys that are strong and durable. They are often used for molars or teeth near the back of your mouth as they require more strength for biting.
- Composite resin — Composite resin is also the color of natural teeth, and it’s cemented to the existing teeth to support the bridge. It’s weaker than other materials but can be used for front teeth as they aren’t needed for chewing.
- Zirconia — Zirconia is a newly developed material used for dental bridges, and it’s durable and has a natural look. It’s known for not irritating the mouth.
- Gold — These dental bridges are resistant to wear and erosion. Gold dental bridges also have antibacterial properties.
Types of Dental Bridges in Hanley Hills, MO
Even though dental bridges are a popular solution to many dental problems, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Your Hanley Hills, MO dentist will be able to tell you which type is best for you. There are four main types of dental bridges:
- Traditional dental bridges — Also known as a conventional bridge, this involves creating a crown for the abutment teeth, with a pontic (artificial tooth) in between. There are the most common, and are often used when the patient still has teeth on either side of the gap.
- Cantilever dental bridges — These are similar to traditional bridges, with the exception that the bridge is connected to only one abutment tooth instead of two.
- Maryland dental bridges — These involving placing wings on each side of the back of the artificial tooth and bonding them to the teeth on either side. These are particularly useful when you are trying to replace one of your front teeth.
- Implant-supported dental bridges — Instead of using natural teeth as anchors, these bridges are supported by dental implants, which are titanium screws that are surgically placed into the jawbone. Implant-supported bridges are a good option when you have more than one missing teeth next to each other. This is a longer lasting solution for missing teeth but requires healthy gums and a strong jawbone for the screws to be implanted.
Which type of dental bridge you require will be based on the overall health of your mouth and where the gap is located. If you think dental bridges may be right for you, schedule an appointment through our website to consult with a professional Hanley Hills, MO dentist.
Steps for Getting Dental Bridges in Hanley Hills, MO
Getting a dental bridge usually involves several steps and may require multiple visits to your Hanley Hills, MO dentist. Below are the typical steps involved in getting a dental bridge in Hanley Hills, MO:
- Initial consultation with the dentist — Your dentist carry out an examination of your mouth and ascertain if you’re a good candidate for dental bridges. They will also discuss the four types of dental bridges and which might be best for you.
- Teeth Preparation — If your dentist recommended a traditional or cantilever bridge, the abutment tooth or teeth will need to be prepared by drilling off some of the enamel and dentin. This is done to make room for the dental crowns that will be placed over the teeth to support the bridge.
- Tooth impression — An impression of the teeth will be made to create a model for the bridge and artificial cap. This model is sent to a dental laboratory, where the bridge is custom-made to fit your mouth.
- Temporary bridge — Your Hanley Hills, MO dentist may place a temporary bridge to give you form and function while you wait for your unique bridge. This will help protect your teeth and gums until your permanent bridge is ready.
- Fitting and adjustment of the bridge — Once the bridge is made, it will be implanted by your dentist, and adjusted as necessary. The dentist will make adjustments to ensure that the bridge fits nicely into your teeth and gums.
- Follow-up appointments and care — Once your unique dental bridge is implanted, you’ll need follow-up appointments to ensure that there are no unanticipated problems.
At Plaza Dental Center in Hanley Hills, MO, we understand that not everyone loves being in the dentists’ chair, especially for multiple procedures and appointments. That’s why Dr. Joseph Cutrona is especially interested in breaking down barriers and getting apprehensive Hanley Hills, MO patients the great dental care they need. Whatever your comfort level at the dentist is, we can help.
How Dental Bridges Can Help You in Hanley Hills, MO
When dental bridges are installed by a professional and experienced Hanley Hills, MO dentist, the natural form and function of your teeth will return. There are several benefits to this:
- Improved oral health — Dental bridges can help prevent your remaining teeth from shifting out of position. If you’re missing a tooth, the remaining teeth can move from their natural positions, causing problems with your bite and leading to gum disease and tooth decay.
- Improved appearance — Dental bridges offer a smile makeover that can bring back your confidence. They are custom-made to match the color and shape of your natural teeth, so they blend seamlessly into your smile.
- Better ability to bite and speak — Dental bridges can help with any speech or eating issues you may have. When you have missing teeth, chewing can be challenging, which can lead to digestive problems. Dental bridges can restore natural ways of chewing and speaking, allowing you to eat any food and communicate with others.
- Preventing further damage to the remaining teeth — Dental bridges can help your mouth remain strong by distributing the pressure evenly. When you have missing teeth, your existing teeth take on more of the pressure when you chew and speak. This can result in broken teeth like chips and other damage. Dental bridges distribute the pressure evenly around your teeth.
Caring for Your Dental Bridges
With proper oral hygiene, most dental bridges won’t need to be replaced over a decade. However, not taking care of them properly could lead to a much shorter lifespan for your bridges. Keeping good care of your dental bridges is important to make sure the benefits don’t go away. A lot of what you need to do is keep your existing teeth and gums healthy and strong so they are durable enough to anchor the bridge. Here are some tips for making sure your bridges in Hanley Hills, MO last as long as possible:
- Brush and floss consistently — You should brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss once a day. It may be a good idea to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Use a floss threader or interdental brush to clean out the plaque and bacteria under the bridge and between the teeth.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash — Use fluoride mouthwash after brushing and flossing to help prevent tooth decay.
- Avoid sticky and hard foods — It’s best to avoid eating sticky or hard foods that can cause harm to your dental bridges. Examples include chewy candies, hard nuts, and ice.
- Visit your dentist regularly — As with everyone, you should have dental examinations and cleanings and polishings twice a year. Your dentist will make sure your dental bridges still fit and function optimally and make any necessary adjustments.
- Consider a nightguard — If you suffer from tooth grinding when you sleep, you may need a nightguard to protect your dental bridges and natural teeth from damage.
By following these tips, you can help ensure the longevity and functionality of your dental bridges.
Trust in Plaza Dental Center for Your Dental Bridges in Hanley Hills, MO
Missing teeth can affect how your mouth feels, looks, and functions. Fortunately, dental bridges provide an effective solution no matter how many teeth are missing. If you want to get your functional and beautiful smile back, Plaza Dental Center in Hanley Hills, MO is here to help. Call us today at (314)-361-1818 or schedule an appointment throughout for your dental bridges in Hanley Hills, MO.