Dental Bridges in Dellwood, MO
Dental bridges in Dellwood, MO. When gaps in your teeth are affecting your self-esteem and how your teeth function, dental bridges could be your answer. Dental bridges are a specialty within cosmetic dentistry where dental covers are placed over a gap in your tooth. They provide form and security to your teeth and gumline after the loss of a tooth. Dental bridges must be custom-fitted, and they get your smile back to those pearly whites. Consider an appointment with Plaza Dental Center to learn if dental bridges are right for you. Call Plaza today at (314)-361-1818 or contact us online. Become proud of your smile again.
What Are Dental Bridges?
When you’ve either lost a tooth or have had a tooth removed, your other teeth will move to fill in the gap. This can cause other complications for your gum health and teeth. One of the most optimal solutions you can seek to remedy this is to have dental bridges that literally bridge the gap between your existing teeth. When you go for a dental bridge, your Dellwood, MO dentist will cement caps on the teeth adjacent to the gap, known as abutment teeth. These crowns act as the anchor for the “bridge” that fills in the gap. Dental bridges are made of a few different materials:
- Porcelain — Porcelain is a favorite among many because it it can be painted to match the color of your natural teeth. Porcelain is also resistant to stains and is durable.
- Metal — Metal dental bridges are made from alloys that are strong and durable. They are often used for back teeth that require to be more durable for chewing.
- Composite resin — Composite resin is also the color of natural teeth, and it’s cemented to the remaining teeth to offer more support. It’s weaker than other materials but can be used for front teeth where look is more important than function.
- Zirconia — Zirconia has just started being used for dental bridges, and it’s durable and has a natural color. It is often used for both front and back teeth.
- Gold — These dental bridges do not erode as much as other bridges. Gold dental bridges also have antibacterial properties.
Types of Dental Bridges in Dellwood, MO
While dental bridges are a frequently-requested answer to many dental problems, different mouths require different approaches. Your Dellwood, MO dentist will be able to tell you which type is best for you. There are four main types of dental bridges:
- Traditional dental bridges — This type of bridge involves making a crown for the teeth on either side of the missing tooth, with a pontic (artificial tooth) bridging the gap between. This is the most common type of dental bridge and is often used when the patient still has teeth on either side of the gap.
- Cantilever dental bridges — These are similar to traditional bridges, with the exception that the bridge is connected to only one abutment tooth instead of two.
- Maryland dental bridges — These involving placing wings on each side of the back of the artificial tooth and bonding them to the adjacent teeth. These are particularly useful when you are trying to replace one of your front teeth.
- Implant-supported dental bridges — Rather than using natural teeth as anchors, implant-supported bridges are anchored by dental implants, which are titanium screws that fuse with your jawbone after being surgically implanted. Implant-supported bridges are common when you have numerous missing teeth next to each other. These can lost longer than other kinds of bridges but requires healthy gums and a strong jawbone for the posts to be implanted.
Which type of dental bridge you need will depend on where in your mouth the gaps in the teeth are and any other dental work your mouth may need. If you’d like to discuss what type may be best for you, request an appointment through our website to consult with a professional Dellwood, MO dentist.
Procedure for Getting a Dental Bridge in Dellwood, MO
Getting dental bridges in Dellwood, MO is an easy process, however it does take place in multiple appointments. Below is the usual procedure in Dellwood, MO:
- First consultation with the dentist — Your dentist will evaluate your dental health and determine if a dental bridge is the best option for you. They’ll also go over the various types of dental bridges and help you select the best option for your specific needs.
- Preparation of the teeth for the bridge — If you are getting a traditional or cantilever bridge, the tooth or teeth to the side of the gap will need to be prepped by removing part of the enamel and dentin. This allows for space for the caps to comfortable fit over.
- Tooth impression — Your dentist will then make a model of your tooth. We’ll then send that model to a dental laboratory, where the bridge is custom-made to fit your mouth.
- Temporary bridge — Your Dellwood, MO dentist may place a temporary bridge while your custom bridge is being created in a dental laboratory. This will help safeguard your teeth and gums until you’re waiting for your permanent bridge.
- Fitting and adjustment of the bridge — In your next appointment the permanent bridge will be implanted by your dentist, and adjusted as necessary. The dentist will work to ensure that the bridge fits nicely into your teeth and gums.
- Follow-up appointments and care — After your dental bridge is placed, you’ll need follow-up appointments to make sure that the bridge is functioning properly and your gums and teeth are healthy.
At Plaza Dental Center in Dellwood, MO, we understand that not everyone loves being in the dentists’ chair, especially for multiple procedures and appointments. That’s why Dr. Joseph Cutrona is especially interested in breaking down barriers and getting apprehensive Dellwood, MO patients the great dental care they need. Whatever your comfort level at the dentist is, we can help.
How Dental Bridges Can Help You in Dellwood, MO
When dental bridges are installed by a professional and experienced Dellwood, MO dentist, the structure and function of your teeth will go back to their natural form. There are several benefits to this:
- Improved oral health — Dental bridges can help prevent your natural teeth from shifting out of position. When there’s a gap in your teeth, the remaining teeth can move from their natural positions, causing problems with your bite and leading to gum disease and tooth decay.
- Better appearance — Dental bridges offer a smile makeover that can restore your smile and help boost your confidence. They are custom-made to match the color and shape of your natural teeth, so no one will be able to notice the difference.
- It’s easier to chew and talk — Dental bridges can help with any speech or eating issues you may have. When in there are gaps in your teeth, chewing can be challenging, which can lead to digestive problems. Dental bridges can restore your ability to chew and speak normally, allowing you to eat any food and reducing problems you may have had with speech.
- Preventing further damage to the remaining teeth — Dental bridges can help your mouth remain strong by distributing the pressure evenly. When you have gaps between your teeth, your existing teeth have to bear more weight when you chew and speak. This can lead to broken teeth like chips and other damage. Dental bridges distribute the pressure evenly around your teeth.
Caring for Your Dental Bridges
With proper oral hygiene, most dental bridges won’t need to be replaced 10 years or more. However, inadequate oral hygiene may lead to a much shorter lifespan for your bridges. Keeping good care of your dental bridges is important to maintain their longevity and functionality. Much of the care needed is keeping your natural teeth healthy and strong so they can keep supporting the bridge. Here is some general advice for making sure your bridges in Dellwood, MO last as long as possible:
- Brush and floss every day — Every dentist will recommend that you brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss once every day. Make sure to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Use a floss threader or interdental brush to get the spots under the bridge and between the teeth.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash — Rinse your mouth with a fluoride mouthwash after brushing and flossing to help prevent tooth decay.
- Avoid sticky and hard foods — It’s a good idea to avoid eating sticky or hard foods that could cause harm to your dental bridges. Examples include chewy candies, hard nuts, and ice.
- Visit your dentist regularly — You should visit your dentist for regular dental examinations and cleanings and polishings every six months. Your dentist will make sure your dental bridges still fit and perform optimally and make adjustments as they see fit.
- Consider a nightguard — If you grind or clench your teeth when you go to bed, it may be a good idea to invest in a nightguard.
By following these tips, you can help ensure the lovely smiled you’ve regained is here to stay.
Call Plaza Dental Center for Your Dental Bridges in Dellwood, MO
Missing teeth can affect how your mouth feels, looks, and functions. Fortunately, dental bridges provide an effective solution regardless of the current condition of your dental health. If you want to get your functional and pearly white smile back, Plaza Dental Center in Dellwood, MO is here to help. Call us today at (314)-361-1818 or schedule an appointment online for your dental bridges in Dellwood, MO.