Dental Bridges in Hazelwood, MO
Dental bridges in Hazelwood, MO. When gaps in your teeth are affecting your confidence and how speak and chew, dental bridges could be your answer. Dental bridges are a type of cosmetic dentistry where dental covers are placed over a gap in your tooth. They help you regain function and appearance after the loss of a tooth. Dental bridges are custom-tailored to your specific teeth and mouth, and they return your smile back to those pearly whites. Consider an appointment with Plaza Dental Center to learn if dental bridges are an appropriate solution for your needs. Call Plaza today at (314)-361-1818 or contact us online. Become proud of your smile again.
What Are Dental Bridges?
When you’ve either lost a tooth or have had a tooth removed, your existing teeth will move to fill in the gap. This can lead to further dental problems. A good way to fix this is to have dental bridges inserted over your existing teeth. When you go for a dental bridge, your Hazelwood, MO dentist will place crowns on the teeth on either side of the gap, referred to as abutment teeth. These crowns act as the anchor for the “bridge” that covers over the gap in your teeth. Dental bridges can be made from several different materials:
- Porcelain — Porcelain is a favorite among many as it can be color-matched to the surrounding teeth, making it appear like it’s one of your original teeth. Porcelain is also relatively durable and stain-resistant.
- Alloy — Metal dental bridges are known for their strength and resilience. They are often used for back teeth that need to be more durable for biting.
- Composite resin — Composite resin is also the color of natural teeth, and it’s cemented to the abutment teeth to offer more support. It is not as durable as other materials but can be used for front teeth where aesthetics are important.
- Zirconia — Zirconia has just started being used for dental bridges, and it’s durable and has a natural tint. It’s known for not irritating the mouth.
- Gold — These dental bridges do not erode as much as other bridges. Gold dental bridges also have antibacterial properties.
Types of Dental Bridges in Hazelwood, MO
Even though dental bridges are a frequently-requested answer to many dental problems, different mouths require different approaches. Your Hazelwood, MO dentist will be able to tell you which type is best for you. There are four main categories of dental bridges:
- Traditional dental bridges — This type of bridge involves making a cap for the abutment teeth, with a pontic (artificial tooth) in between. There are the most common, and are best when there are natural teeth on either side of the missing tooth.
- Cantilever dental bridges — These are similar to traditional bridges, but they only require one natural tooth or implant to support the pontic. In this case, you only need one natural tooth next to the gap.
- Maryland dental bridges — These involving placing wings on each side of the back of the artificial tooth and bonding them to the teeth on either side. These are especially useful when the gap is in your front teeth.
- Implant-supported dental bridges — Instead of being supported by natural teeth, implant-supported bridges are supported by dental implants, which are surgically implanted titanium posts. Implant-supported bridges are most often used when several teeth in a row are missing. These can lost longer than other types of bridges but requires healthy gums and adequate bone density for the posts to be implanted.
Which type of dental bridge you need will be based on where in your mouth the gaps in the teeth are and any other dental work your mouth may need. If you’d like to know which type of dental bridge you may be suitable for, make an appointment online to consult with a knowledgeable Hazelwood, MO dentist.
Procedure for Getting a Dental Bridge in Hazelwood, MO
Getting dental bridges in Hazelwood, MO is an easy process, however it does take place in several steps. Here are the typical steps involved in getting a dental bridge in Hazelwood, MO:
- Initial appointment at the dentist’s office — Your dentist will evaluate your dental health and ascertain if a dental bridge is the best option for you. They will also discuss the various types of dental bridges and which you might be suitable for.
- Teeth Preparation — If your dentist recommended a traditional or cantilever bridge, the two adjacent teeth will need to be prepped by drilling off part of the enamel and dentin. This allows for space for the caps to comfortable fit over.
- Tooth impression — Your dentist will then make a model of your tooth. We’ll then send that impression to a dental laboratory, where a bridge will be custom-made for your unique mouth.
- Temporary bridge — Your Hazelwood, MO dentist may place a temporary bridge while your custom bridge is being created in a dental laboratory. This will help safeguard your teeth and gums until your permanent bridge is ready.
- Fitting and adjustment of the bridge — Once the bridge is made, it will be implanted by your dentist, and adjusted as necessary. The dentist will make adjustments to ensure that you and your mouth feel comfortable.
- Follow-up appointments and care — After your dental bridge is placed, you will need to return to your dentist for follow-up appointments to make sure that the bridge is functioning properly and your gums and teeth are healthy.
At Plaza Dental Center in Hazelwood, MO, we understand that not everyone loves being in the dentists’ chair, especially for multiple procedures and appointments. That’s why Dr. Joseph Cutrona is especially interested in breaking down barriers and getting apprehensive Hazelwood, MO patients the great dental care they need. Whatever your comfort level at the dentist is, we can help.
Benefits of Dental Bridges in Hazelwood, MO
Dental bridges implanted by an experienced Hazelwood, MO can do wonders for your mouth. Dental bridges offer a lot of benefits:
- Better oral health — Dental bridges can help maintain the natural shape of your face. If you’re missing a tooth, the remaining teeth can move from their natural positions, causing problems with your bite and leading to gum disease and tooth decay.
- Better appearance — Dental bridges can give you a smile makeover that can restore your smile and help boost your confidence. They are custom-made to match the color and shape of your natural teeth, so they blend seamlessly into your smile.
- Better ability to eat and talk — Dental bridges can improve your ability to chew and speak properly. When you have missing teeth, it can be difficult to chew your food properly, leading to digestive problems. Dental bridges can help you regain natural ways of chewing and speaking, allowing you to eat any food and reducing problems you may have had with speech.
- Preventing further damage to your natural teeth — Dental bridges can help prevent further damage to your remaining teeth by distributing the pressure evenly. When you have gaps between your teeth, your natural teeth take on more of the pressure when you chew and speak. This can lead to broken teeth like chips and other damage. Dental bridges distribute the pressure evenly around your teeth.
Caring for Your Dental Bridges
With proper oral hygiene, most dental bridges can last over a decade. However, not taking care of them properly could lead you to need a replacement after just a few short years. Caring for dental bridges is essential to you get to keep your brand new smile. A lot of what you need to do is keep your existing teeth and gums healthy and strong so they can keep supporting the bridge. The following is some general advice for taking care of your dental bridges in Hazelwood, MO:
- Brush and floss consistently — Every dentist will recommend that you brush your teeth twice daily and floss once daily. Make sure to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Use a floss threader or interdental brush to clean under the bridge and between the teeth.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash — Use fluoride mouthwash after brushing and flossing to help prevent tooth decay.
- Avoid sticky and hard foods — Try to avoid eating sticky or hard foods that could cause harm to your dental bridges. Some foods to avoid are chewy candies, hard nuts, and ice.
- Don’t forget your biannual dental appointments — As with everyone, you should have dental examinations and cleanings and polishings twice a year. Your dentist will be able to check the condition of your dental bridges and make adjustments as they see fit.
- Consider a nightguard — If you grind or clench your teeth at night, you may need a nightguard to protect your dental bridges and natural teeth from damage.
By following these tips, you can help ensure the longevity and functionality of your dental bridges.
Trust in Plaza Dental Center for Your Dental Bridges in Hazelwood, MO
Gaps in your teeth can affect how your mouth feels, looks, and functions. Fortunately, dental bridges are a proven solution no matter how many teeth are missing. If you want to get your functional and pearly white smile back, Plaza Dental Center in Hazelwood, MO is standing by. Speak to a team member today at (314)-361-1818 or contact us through our website for your dental bridges in Hazelwood, MO.