Dental Bridges in Ferguson, MO
Dental bridges in Ferguson, MO. When your smile is in need of improvement, dental bridges could be your answer. Dental bridges are a form of cosmetic dentistry where a crown, anchored by teeth on either side of the gap, is placed over the gap. They help you regain function and appearance after tooth loss or other dental problems. Dental bridges must be custom-fitted, and they return your smile back to those pearly whites. Plaza Dental Center can help you decide if dental bridges are right for you. Call Plaza today at (314)-361-1818 or contact us online. We can help you create the exact smile that you want.
What Are Dental Bridges?
When you’ve either lost a tooth or have had a tooth removed, your other teeth can move to make up for the loss in your bite. This can lead to other issues with your teeth and gums. One of the most optimal solutions you can seek to remedy this is to have dental bridges that literally bridge the gap between your natural teeth. If you get a dental bridge, your Ferguson, MO dentist will place crowns on the teeth on either side of the gap, referred to as abutment teeth. These crowns act as the anchor for the “bridge” that covers over the gap in your teeth. Dental bridges are made of several different materials:
- Porcelain — Porcelain is a favorite among many as it can be color-matched to the surrounding teeth, making it appear like it’s one of your original teeth. Porcelain is also resistant to stains and is durable.
- Alloy — Metal dental bridges are made from alloys that are strong and durable. They are often used for molars or teeth near the back of your mouth as they need more strength for chewing.
- Composite resin — Composite resin is a tooth-colored material that is cemented to the remaining teeth to support the bridge. It’s weaker than other materials but can be used for front teeth as they don’t need to be as resilient.
- Zirconia — Zirconia is a newer material used for dental bridges, and it’s durable and has a natural shade. It’s known for not irritating the mouth.
- Gold — These dental bridges do not erode as much as other bridges. Gold dental bridges are kinder to the gums as they have an antibacterial effect.
Types of Dental Bridges in Ferguson, MO
While dental bridges are a popular solution to dental problems such as tooth loss, different mouths require different approaches. Your Ferguson, MO dentist will recommend what type you need. There are four chief types of dental bridges:
- Traditional dental bridges — This type of bridge involves making a crown for the teeth on either side of the missing tooth, with a pontic (a false tooth) bridging the gap between. There are the most popular, and are often used when the patient still has teeth on both sides of the missing tooth.
- Cantilever dental bridges — These are similar to traditional bridges, with the exception that the bridge is anchored by only one abutment tooth instead of two.
- Maryland dental bridges — This type of bridge uses a metal or porcelain wings that are attached to the back of the teeth on either side of the missing tooth. This is commonly used when you are missing one of your front teeth.
- Implant-supported dental bridges — Instead of being supported by natural teeth, these bridges are anchored by dental implants, which are titanium screws that are surgically placed into the jawbone. Implant-supported bridges are a good option when several teeth in a row are missing. This is a more permanent solution for missing teeth but requires healthy gums and sufficient bone density for the posts to be implanted.
The type of dental bridge best for you will be based on the overall health of your mouth and where the gap is located. If you’d like to know which type of dental bridge you may be suitable for, make an appointment through our website to ask with an experienced Ferguson, MO dentist.
Steps for Getting Dental Bridges in Ferguson, MO
Getting dental bridges in Ferguson, MO is an easy process, however it does take place in multiple appointments. Below are the typical steps involved in getting a dental bridge in Ferguson, MO:
- Initial appointment at the dentist’s office — Your dentist will evaluate your dental health and determine if you’re a good candidate for dental bridges. They will also discuss the four types of dental bridges and which might be best for you.
- Tooth Preparation — If you are getting a traditional or cantilever bridge, the two adjacent teeth will need to be prepped by drilling off some of the enamel and dentin. This is done to make room for the dental crowns that will be placed over the teeth to support the bridge.
- Impression of the teeth — An impression of the teeth will be made to create a model for the bridge and pontic. This model is sent to a dental laboratory, where a bridge will be custom-made for your unique mouth.
- Temporary bridge — At the same appointment your Ferguson, MO dentist may place a temporary bridge to keep things in place while you wait for your unique bridge. This will help safeguard your mouth until you’re waiting for your permanent bridge.
- Fitting and adjustment of the bridge — In your next appointment the permanent bridge will be implanted by your dentist, and adjusted as needed. The dentist will make adjustments to ensure that the bridge feels comfortable in your mouth.
- Follow-up appointments and care — Once your unique dental bridge is implanted, you’ll need follow-up appointments to make sure that the bridge is functioning properly and your gums and teeth are healthy.
At Plaza Dental Center in Ferguson, MO, we understand that not everyone loves being in the dentists’ chair, especially for multiple procedures and appointments. That’s why Dr. Joseph Cutrona is especially interested in breaking down barriers and getting apprehensive Ferguson, MO patients the great dental care they need. Whatever your comfort level at the dentist is, we can help.
Benefits of Dental Bridges in Ferguson, MO
When dental bridges are installed by a professional and experienced Ferguson, MO dentist, the structure and function of your teeth will go back to their natural form. There are several benefits to this:
- Improved oral health — Dental bridges can help maintain the natural shape of your face. When there’s a gap in your teeth, the remaining teeth can move from their natural positions, causing problems with your bite and leading to gum disease and tooth decay.
- Improved appearance — Dental bridges offer a smile makeover that can restore your smile and help boost your confidence. They look exactly like your natural teeth, so no one will be able to notice the difference.
- It’s easier to chew and talk — Dental bridges can improve your ability to chew and speak properly. When in there are gaps in your teeth, chewing can be challenging, which can lead to digestive issues. Dental bridges can restore your ability to chew and speak normally, allowing you to eat any food and communicate with others.
- Preventing further damage to your other teeth — Dental bridges can help your mouth remain strong by distributing the pressure evenly. When you have missing teeth, your natural teeth take on more of the pressure when you chew and speak. This can cause broken teeth like cracks or even entire fractures. Dental bridges distribute the pressure evenly throughout your mouth.
Taking Care of Your Dental Bridges
With adequate oral hygiene, most dental bridges can last 10 years or more. However, inadequate oral hygiene may lead you to need a replacement after just a few short years. Caring for dental bridges is important to you get to keep your brand new smile. A lot of what you need to do is keep your existing teeth healthy and strong so they can keep supporting the bridge. The following are some tips for making sure your bridges in Ferguson, MO last as long as possible:
- Brush and floss consistently — Every dentist will recommend that you brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss once every day. It may be a good idea to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Use a floss threader or interdental brush to clean out the plaque and bacteria under the bridge and between the teeth.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash — Rinse your mouth with a fluoride mouthwash after brushing and flossing to help prevent tooth decay.
- Avoid sticky and hard foods — It’s best to avoid eating sticky or hard foods that can cause harm to your dental bridges. This includes chewy candies, hard nuts, and ice.
- Visit your dentist regularly — As with everyone, you should have dental examinations and cleanings and polishings every six months. Your dentist will be able to check the condition of your dental bridges and make any necessary adjustments.
- Consider a nightguard — If you grind or clench your teeth at night, it may be best to invest in a nightguard.
By following these tips, you can help ensure the longevity and functionality of your dental bridges.
Contact Plaza Dental Center for Your Dental Bridges in Ferguson, MO
Gaps in your teeth can affect how your mouth feels, looks, and functions. Fortunately, dental bridges are a proven solution no matter how many teeth are missing. If you want to get your functional and beautiful smile back, Plaza Dental Center in Ferguson, MO is standing by. Call us today at (314)-361-1818 or contact us online for your dental bridges in Ferguson, MO.