Dental Bridges in Warson Woods, MO
Dental bridges in Warson Woods, MO. When gaps in your teeth are affecting your self-esteem and how your teeth function, dental bridges may be an option you should consider. Dental bridges are a type of cosmetic dentistry where a crown, anchored by teeth on either side of the gap, is placed over the gap. They help you regain function and appearance if you’ve suffered tooth loss or other dental problems. Dental bridges are custom-tailored to your specific teeth and mouth, and they return your smile back to those pearly whites. Consider an appointment with Plaza Dental Center to see if dental bridges are an appropriate solution for your needs. Speak to a team member today at (314)-361-1818 or contact us online. We can help you create the exact smile that you want.
How Do Dental Bridges Work?
Whether you lost a tooth in an accident or had one attracted, your existing teeth can move to make up for the loss in your bite. This can cause other complications for your gum health and teeth. One of the most optimal solutions you can seek to remedy this is to have dental bridges inserted over your existing teeth. When you go for a dental bridge, your Warson Woods, MO dentist will post crowns on the teeth on either side of the gap, referred to as abutment teeth. These crowns act as the anchor for the “bridge” that fills in the gap. Dental bridges are made of several different materials:
- Porcelain — Porcelain is a favorite among many because it it can be painted to match the color of your natural teeth. Porcelain is also relatively strong and stain-resistant.
- Metal — Metal dental bridges are known for their strength and resilience. They are often used for molars or teeth near the back of your mouth as they need more strength for eating.
- Composite resin — Composite resin is a tooth-colored material that is cemented to the abutment teeth to support the bridge. It’s weaker than other materials but can be used for front teeth as they aren’t needed for chewing.
- Zirconia — Zirconia has just started being used for dental bridges, and it’s durable and has a natural tint. It’s known for not irritating the mouth.
- Gold — These dental bridges are resistant to wear and erosion. Gold dental bridges are kinder to the gums as they have an antibacterial effect.
Types of Dental Bridges in Warson Woods, MO
Even though dental bridges are a popular answer to many dental problems, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Your Warson Woods, MO dentist will be able to tell you which type is best for you. There are four chief types of dental bridges:
- Traditional dental bridges — Also known as a conventional bridge, this involves making a cap for the teeth on either side of the missing tooth, with a pontic (a false tooth) bridging the gap between. This is the most common type of dental bridge and is best when there are natural teeth on either side of the gap.
- Cantilever dental bridges — These are similar to traditional bridges, but they only require one natural tooth or implant to support the pontic. In this case, you only need one natural tooth next to the gap.
- Maryland dental bridges — These involving placing wings on each side of the back of the artificial tooth and bonding them to the abutment teeth. This is commonly used when you are trying to replace one of your front teeth.
- Implant-supported dental bridges — Instead of being connected to natural teeth, implant-supported bridges are anchored by dental implants, which are titanium screws that fuse with your jawbone after being surgically implanted. Implant-supported bridges are common when several teeth in a row are missing. These can lost longer than other kinds of bridges but requires healthy gums and a strong jawbone for the screws to be implanted.
The type of dental bridge best for you will depend on where in your mouth the gaps in the teeth are and any other dental work your mouth may need. If you’d like to know which type of dental bridge you may be suitable for, make an appointment through our website to speak with with an experienced Warson Woods, MO dentist.
Procedure for Getting a Dental Bridge in Warson Woods, MO
Getting a dental bridge generally involves several steps and may require multiple visits to your Warson Woods, MO dentist. The following are the typical steps involved in getting a dental bridge in Warson Woods, MO:
- Initial appointment at the dentist’s office — Your dentist will evaluate your dental health and determine if you’re a good candidate for dental bridges. They’ll also walk you through the four types of dental bridges and which you might be suitable for.
- Teeth Preparation — If your dentist recommended a traditional or cantilever bridge, the two adjacent teeth will need to be prepped by drilling off part of the enamel and dentin. This allows for space for the caps to easily fit over.
- Impression of the teeth — Your dentist will then make an impression of your tooth. This model is sent to a dental laboratory, where a bridge will be custom-made for your unique teeth.
- Temporary bridge — At the same appointment your Warson Woods, MO dentist may fit you with a temporary bridge while your custom bridge is being created in a dental laboratory. This will help safeguard your teeth and gums until your permanent bridge is ready.
- Fitting and adjustment of the bridge — In your next appointment the permanent bridge will be fitted and adjusted to ensure a proper fit. The dentist will make adjustments to ensure that you and your mouth feel comfortable.
- Follow-up appointments and care — Once your permanent dental bridge is implanted, you’ll need follow-up appointments to make sure that the bridge is functioning properly and your gums and teeth are healthy.
At Plaza Dental Center in Warson Woods, MO, we understand that not everyone loves being in the dentists’ chair, especially for multiple procedures and appointments. That’s why Dr. Joseph Cutrona is especially interested in breaking down barriers and getting apprehensive Warson Woods, MO patients the great dental care they need. Whatever your comfort level at the dentist is, we can help.
How Dental Bridges Can Help You in Warson Woods, MO
When dental bridges are installed by a professional and experienced Warson Woods, MO dentist, the natural form and function of your teeth will return. Dental bridges offer a lot of benefits:
- Improved oral health — Dental bridges can help prevent your remaining teeth from shifting out of position. When there’s a gap in your teeth, the remaining teeth can move from their natural positions, causing dental problems that can lead to gum disease and tooth decay.
- Better appearance — Dental bridges can give you a smile makeover that can bring back your confidence. They look exactly like your natural teeth, so they blend seamlessly into your smile.
- It’s easier to chew and talk — Dental bridges can help with any speech or eating problems you may have. When you have missing teeth, chewing can be challenging, which can lead to digestive issues. Dental bridges can restore natural ways of chewing and speaking, allowing you to eat any food and reducing problems you may have had with speech.
- Preventing further damage to your other teeth — Dental bridges can help prevent further damage to your remaining teeth by distributing the pressure evenly. When you have missing teeth, your natural teeth take on more of the pressure when you chew and speak. This can cause broken teeth like chips or even entire fractures. Dental bridges distribute the pressure evenly throughout your mouth.
How to Care for Your Dental Bridges
With adequate oral hygiene, most dental bridges won’t need to be replaced 10 years or more. However, inadequate oral hygiene may lead to a much shorter lifespan for your bridges. Caring for dental bridges is essential to make sure the benefits don’t go away. A lot of what you need to do is keep your natural teeth healthy and strong so they are durable enough to anchor the bridge. Below are some tips for taking care of your dental bridges in Warson Woods, MO:
- Brush and floss consistently — Every dentist will recommend that you brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss once a day. It may be a good idea to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Use a floss threader or interdental brush to clean under the bridge and between the teeth.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash — Fluoride mouthwash is the most proficient at preventing tooth decay.
- Avoid sticky and hard foods — It’s a good idea to avoid eating sticky or hard foods that could cause harm to your dental bridges. Some foods to avoid are chewy candies, hard nuts, and ice.
- Don’t forget your twice-yearly dental appointments — As with anyone else, you should have dental examinations and cleanings and polishings twice a year. Your dentist will be able to check the condition of your dental bridges and make any necessary adjustments.
- Consider a nightguard — If you grind or clench your teeth at night, it may be best to invest in a nightguard.
By following these tips, you can help ensure the lovely smiled you’ve regained is here to stay.
Trust in Plaza Dental Center for Your Dental Bridges in Warson Woods, MO
Missing teeth can affect how your mouth feels, looks, and functions. Fortunately, dental bridges provide an effective solution to replace one or more missing teeth. If you want to get your functional and beautiful smile back, Plaza Dental Center in Warson Woods, MO is here to help. Call us today at (314)-361-1818 or contact us through our website for your dental bridges in Warson Woods, MO.