Access professional dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO: an extremely common dental condition that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO dentistry has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Just as with any other dental care you receive in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO, it is important that you put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals in the Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO area, we provide excellent dental treatments and procedures that are effective against dental issues of all types, including toothaches, for all dental patients in the Greater Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO area. Learn more on the dental care we provide in the Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO area or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but exactly what that pain feels like can differ–in addition to the other symptoms–and are based on the source of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums around the tooth
- Red appearance around the affected area
- Pus or drainage around the infected tooth
- A foul taste or smell coming from the tooth
Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO Causes of Toothache
Many different conditions and occurrences can cause a toothache. Our teeth are filled with soft tissue on the inside, which consists of a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extremely sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or noticeable. However, when cavities are untreated, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can break or move out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. This type of toothache typically brings along symptoms like swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it at night or when stressed. Repetitive grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – Many of us must have our wisdom teeth removed because of the risk of impaction. Impaction puts pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You may experience a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Instead, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection that creates pressure in the top back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, you should first seek medical attention for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is to practice proper oral hygiene and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. Unfotunately, though, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. Though sometimes a toothache can be resolved without professional care, your Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO dentist may recommend a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. Both work against a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. In a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to remove all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while getting rid of the infection and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. The Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center can perform a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection may be managed with antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Restoration
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
Dental Care for Your Toothache Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO begins by} determining the origin of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center provides families across the Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO area quality dental care, including a range of treatment strategies to address toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.