Quality Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental problem that we all dread and fear. Luckily, Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO dentistry has come a long way from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Just as with any other dental care you receive in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO, it is important that you seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
When you need relief from your toothache in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental providers around Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO, we bring excellent dental treatments and procedures that are effective against toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for all dental patients in the Greater Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO region. Get more information about the dental care we provide in the Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO area or schedule your toothache treatment today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but the quality and type of pain can vary–in addition to the other symptoms–depending on the source of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums around the tooth
- Redness in the affected area
- Pus or drainage around the infected tooth
- An unpleasant taste or smell coming from the tooth
Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO Toothache Causes
Many different conditions and occurrences can cause a toothache. Teeth are filled with soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extraordinarily sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is very small and barely discernible. However, when cavities are untreated, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can break or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. An abscess-related toothache typically brings along symptoms like swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth in their sleep or when stressed. Repetitive grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that tooth roots may become exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. This puts pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth based on their location and orientation.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental issue. You could be suffering from a toothache that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Instead, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection that creates pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, it is best to first receive the proper medical treatment for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is to practice proper oral health and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. However, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. Though certain toothache causes may not require treatment by a dental professional, your Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO dentist may recommend a new tooth filling or a crown, which caps the top of the tooth. Both contain a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. During a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to remove all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while removing the infected areas and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. The Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center is qualified to provide the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. An infection may be managed by taking antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO begins by} identifying the cause of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center provides families across the Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO area access to skilled dental care, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.