Quality Black Jack, MO dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Black Jack, MO: an extremely common dental ailment that we all hope we can avoid. Luckily, the Black Jack, MO dental profession has made significant advances in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Black Jack, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals in the Black Jack, MO area, we bring quality dental work and procedures that effectively address dental issues of all types, including toothaches, for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Black Jack, MO area. Learn more on the dental care we provide in the Black Jack, MO area or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but exactly what that pain feels like can vary–as well as the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the origin of the toothache. When you have a toothache in Black Jack, MO, you may experience the following:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums surrounding the tooth
- Redness around the affected area
- Production of pus near the infected tooth
- An unpleasant taste or smell coming from the tooth
Black Jack, MO Causes of Toothache
A toothache can have various causes. Our teeth are actually made up of soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extraordinarily sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are very small and barely noticeable, but if left unaddressed, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities can crack or shift out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Black Jack, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can spread to the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. An abscess-related toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it in their sleep or when stressed. Repetitive grinding can turn into a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Black Jack, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – Many of us must have our wisdom teeth removed because of the risk of impaction. This puts pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental issue. You could be suffering from a toothache that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Rather, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection putting pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek the proper medical treatment for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Black Jack, MO
The best defense against toothaches is preventative care, including practicing oral hygiene and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. While certain toothache causes may not require professional care, your Black Jack, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your Black Jack, MO dentist may recommend a new tooth filling or a crown, which caps the top of the tooth. Both contain a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. In a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it as an access point to remove all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while getting rid of the infected areas and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Black Jack, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. The Black Jack, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center is qualified to provide a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Black Jack, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection could be managed with antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Black Jack, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Black Jack, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Black Jack, MO begins by} determining the cause of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Black Jack, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center offers families across the Black Jack, MO area access to skilled dental care, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. You do not have to live with ongoing toothache pain. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.