Access professional dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache Black Jack, MO: an extremely common dental plight that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, the Black Jack, MO dental profession has come a long way from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Black Jack, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals in the Black Jack, MO area, we provide quality dental work and procedures that are effective against toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for all dental patients in the Greater Black Jack, MO area. Get more information about the dental care we provide in the Black Jack, MO area or book your first appointment and get relief from your toothache today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but exactly what that pain feels like can be different–in addition to the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the origin of the toothache. Developing a toothache in Black Jack, MO can cause various sensations, such as:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums surrounding the tooth
- Red appearance in the affected area
- Production of pus near the infected tooth
- A foul taste or smell coming from the tooth
Black Jack, MO Toothache Causes
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Our teeth are filled with soft tissue on the inside, filled with nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extraordinarily sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is very small and barely discernible, but if left untreated, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities have the potential to break or shift out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Black Jack, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. An abscess-related toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it in their sleep or when stressed. Habitual grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Black Jack, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – Many of us must have our wisdom teeth removed because of the risk of impaction. This introduces pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You may experience toothache symptoms without any of the above dental problems. Instead, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection putting pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek the proper medical treatment for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Black Jack, MO
The best defense against toothaches is preventative care, including practicing oral care and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. While certain toothache causes may not require professional care, your Black Jack, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Black Jack, MO dentist may recommend a new tooth filling or a crown, which covers the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. During a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to remove all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while getting rid of the infected areas and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Black Jack, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. The Black Jack, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center can perform a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Black Jack, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection may be treated with antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Restoration
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
Dental Care for Your Toothache Black Jack, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Black Jack, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Black Jack, MO begins by} identifying the source of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented Black Jack, MO team of dental care professionals provides families across the Black Jack, MO area quality dental care, including treatments for toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.