Quality Brentwood, MO dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Brentwood, MO: an extremely common dental plight that we all hope we can avoid. Luckily, Brentwood, MO dentistry has come a long way in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Brentwood, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals around Brentwood, MO, we provide quality dental work and procedures that work to target toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Brentwood, MO area. Get more information about our Brentwood, MO area dental services or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but exactly what that pain feels like can differ–in addition to the other symptoms–and are based on the cause of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Brentwood, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums surrounding the tooth
- Redness in the affected area
- Production of pus near the infected tooth
- An unpleasant taste or smell coming from the tooth
Brentwood, MO Causes of Toothache
Many different conditions and occurrences can cause a toothache. Teeth are filled with soft tissue on the inside, which consists of a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or discernible, but if left untreated, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can break or shift out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Brentwood, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. An abscess-related toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it at night or when stressed. The grinding causes the nerves inside the tooth to become irritated, causing a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that tooth roots may become exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Brentwood, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. This introduces pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental condition. You may experience toothache symptoms without any of the above dental problems. Rather, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection putting pressure in the top back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek medical attention for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Brentwood, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to practice proper oral care and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. Unfotunately, though, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. While certain toothache causes may not require professional care, your Brentwood, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Brentwood, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. In a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it as an access point to clear out all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while removing the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Brentwood, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. The Brentwood, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center can perform the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Brentwood, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection may be treated by taking antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Restoration
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
Dental Care for Your Toothache Brentwood, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Brentwood, MO begins by} understanding the origin of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Brentwood, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center offers families across the Brentwood, MO area quality dental services, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.