Access professional dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache Brentwood, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental problem that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, the Brentwood, MO dental profession has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
When you need relief from your toothache in Brentwood, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. As leaders among dental professionals in the Brentwood, MO area, we provide quality dental treatments and procedures that effectively address dental issues of all types, including toothaches, for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Brentwood, MO area. Get more information on the dental care we provide in the Brentwood, MO area or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but exactly what that pain feels like can vary–as well as the accompanying symptoms–depending on the source of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Brentwood, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums surrounding the tooth
- Redness in the affected area
- Pus or drainage around the infected tooth
- An unpleasant taste or smell coming from the tooth
Brentwood, MO Toothache Causes
A toothache can have various causes. Our teeth are actually made up of soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extraordinarily sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or detectable, but if left untreated, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities have the potential to crack or move out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Brentwood, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. This type of toothache typically brings along symptoms like swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth in their sleep or when stressed. Habitual grinding can turn into a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that tooth roots may become exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Brentwood, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. This applies pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental issue. You could be suffering from toothache symptoms without any of the above dental problems. Rather, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection that creates pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, it is best to first receive medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Brentwood, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to practice proper oral care and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. While sometimes a toothache can be resolved without treatment by a dental professional, your Brentwood, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your Brentwood, MO dentist can address the issue with a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. They work against a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. In a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to remove all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while getting rid of the infection and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Brentwood, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. The Brentwood, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center can perform the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Brentwood, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. For example, an infected tooth may be managed with antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Brentwood, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in Brentwood, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in Brentwood, MO begins by} understanding the source of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented Brentwood, MO team of dental care professionals offers families across the Brentwood, MO area quality dental services, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.