Quality Woodson Terrace, MO dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Woodson Terrace, MO: an extremely common dental condition that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, the Woodson Terrace, MO dental profession has come a long way in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Just as with any other dental care you receive in Woodson Terrace, MO, it is important that you seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in Woodson Terrace, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental providers around Woodson Terrace, MO, we bring excellent dental services that effectively address toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for all dental patients in the Greater Woodson Terrace, MO area. Learn more about our Woodson Terrace, MO area dental services or book your first appointment and get relief from your toothache today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but exactly what that pain feels like can vary–in addition to the other symptoms–depending on the origin of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Woodson Terrace, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums surrounding the tooth
- Redness around the affected area
- Production of pus around the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Woodson Terrace, MO Causes of Toothache
A toothache can have various causes. Our teeth are filled with soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extraordinarily sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is very small and barely detectable, but if left unaddressed, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities can break or shift out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Woodson Terrace, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. This type of toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth at night or when stressed. The grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that tooth roots may become exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Woodson Terrace, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. This applies pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth based on their location and orientation.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You could be suffering from a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Instead, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection putting pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Woodson Terrace, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to maintain your oral health and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. Though certain toothache causes may not require treatment by a dental professional, there are several effective treatments your Woodson Terrace, MO dentist can provide that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your Woodson Terrace, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. Both contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. In a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it as an access point to clear out all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while getting rid of the infected areas and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Woodson Terrace, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. The Woodson Terrace, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center is qualified to provide the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Woodson Terrace, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. For example, an infected tooth may be managed with antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Woodson Terrace, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Woodson Terrace, MO begins by} identifying the origin of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Woodson Terrace, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center offers families across the Woodson Terrace, MO area quality dental care, including a range of treatment strategies to address toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.