Access professional dental care that treats your toothache at the source
Toothache Sunset Hills, MO: an extremely common dental ailment that we all dread and fear. Luckily, the Sunset Hills, MO dental profession has made significant advances in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
When you need relief from your toothache in Sunset Hills, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals around Sunset Hills, MO, we provide quality dental services that are effective against dental ailments like toothaches for patients of all ages throughout the Greater Sunset Hills, MO region. Find out more on our Sunset Hills, MO area dental services or schedule your toothache treatment today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but the quality and type of pain can vary–in addition to the other symptoms–and are based on the origin of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Sunset Hills, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums surrounding the tooth
- Red appearance around the affected area
- Production of pus from the infected tooth
- An unpleasant taste or smell coming from the tooth
Sunset Hills, MO Toothache Causes
Many different conditions and occurrences can cause a toothache. Teeth are actually made up of soft tissue on the inside, filled with a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or detectable. However, when cavities are unaddressed, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities have the potential to break or move out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Sunset Hills, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. An abscess-related toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth in their sleep or when stressed. The grinding causes the nerves inside the tooth to become irritated, causing a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that it leaves tooth roots exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Sunset Hills, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – Many of us must have our wisdom teeth removed because of the risk of impaction. Impaction applies pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth based on their location and orientation.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You could be suffering from a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Rather, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection that creates pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, it is best to first receive medical attention for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Sunset Hills, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is to maintain your oral care and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. Though sometimes a toothache can be resolved without professional care, there are several effective treatments your Sunset Hills, MO dentist can provide that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Sunset Hills, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. During a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it as an access point to clear out all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while removing the infected areas and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Sunset Hills, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. The Sunset Hills, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center can perform the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your Sunset Hills, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. An infection may be managed with antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Sunset Hills, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Sunset Hills, MO begins by} understanding the source of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Sunset Hills, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center provides families across the Sunset Hills, MO area quality dental services, including treatments to address toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.