Access professional dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache St. Ann, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental complaint that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, St. Ann, MO dentistry has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
When you need relief from your toothache in St. Ann, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental providers in the St. Ann, MO area, we provide excellent dental services that are effective against dental issues of all types, including toothaches, for all dental patients in the Greater St. Ann, MO region. Get more information on our St. Ann, MO area dental services or schedule your toothache treatment today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but the quality and type of pain can differ–as well as the other symptoms–and are based on the origin of the toothache. Developing a toothache in St. Ann, MO can cause various sensations, such as:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums surrounding the tooth
- Red appearance in the affected area
- Pus or drainage near the infected tooth
- An unpleasant taste or smell coming from the tooth
St. Ann, MO Causes of Toothache
A toothache can have various causes. Our teeth are actually made up of soft tissue on the inside, which consists of nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extraordinarily sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or detectable, but if left untreated, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities have the potential to break or move out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in St. Ann, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can spread to the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. An abscess-related toothache usually come with swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it at night or when stressed. Repetitive grinding causes the nerves inside the tooth to become irritated, causing a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that tooth roots may become exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a St. Ann, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – It is common for wisdom teeth to become impacted as they begin to come in. This applies pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth based on their location and orientation.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental issue. You could be suffering from a toothache that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Instead, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection that creates pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, you should first seek medical attention for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments St. Ann, MO
The best defense against toothaches is preventative care, including practicing oral care and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. While sometimes a toothache can be resolved without treatment by a dental professional, your St. Ann, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your St. Ann, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which caps the top of the tooth. Both contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. In a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it to remove all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while getting rid of the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This St. Ann, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center St. Ann, MO toothache treatment team can perform the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in St. Ann, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. For example, an infected tooth may be treated with antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Restoration
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
Dental Care for Your Toothache St. Ann, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in St. Ann, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in St. Ann, MO begins by} identifying the cause of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented St. Ann, MO team of dental care professionals offers families across the St. Ann, MO area access to skilled dental services, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. You do not have to live with ongoing toothache pain. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.