Quality St. Ann, MO dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache St. Ann, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental plight that we all dread and fear. Luckily, St. Ann, MO dentistry has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
If you are suffering from a toothache in St. Ann, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. As leaders among dental providers in the St. Ann, MO area, we provide excellent dental treatments and procedures that are effective against toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for patients of all ages throughout the Greater St. Ann, MO region. Get more information about our St. Ann, MO area dental services or book your first appointment and get relief from your toothache today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but the quality and type of pain can be different–in addition to the other symptoms–depending on the origin of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in St. Ann, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums around the tooth
- Red appearance in the affected area
- Pus or drainage near the infected tooth
- A foul taste or smell coming from the tooth
St. Ann, MO Toothache Causes
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Teeth are filled with soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, which consists of a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is minute–barely visible or discernible. However, when cavities are untreated, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can break or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in St. Ann, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can develop to affect the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. An abscess-related toothache typically brings along symptoms like swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it at night or when stressed. The grinding causes the nerves inside the tooth to become irritated, causing a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that tooth roots may become exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a St. Ann, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. This puts pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental issue. You could be suffering from a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Instead, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection that creates pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek the proper medical treatment for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments St. Ann, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to maintain your oral hygiene and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. While sometimes a toothache can be resolved without treatment by a dental professional, your St. Ann, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your St. Ann, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which covers the top of the tooth. They work against a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. During a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it to remove all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while removing the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This St. Ann, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center St. Ann, MO toothache treatment team can perform the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your St. Ann, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. An infection could be managed with antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
- Dental Office
- Pediatric Dentist
Dental Care for Your Toothache St. Ann, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in St. Ann, MO begins by} determining the origin of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented St. Ann, MO team of dental care professionals offers families across the St. Ann, MO area quality dental care, including a range of treatment strategies to address toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.