Access professional dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache University City, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental issue that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, the University City, MO dental profession has made significant advances in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Just as with any other dental care you receive in University City, MO, it is important that you seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
When you need relief from your toothache in University City, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. As leaders among dental providers around University City, MO, we provide excellent dental treatments and procedures that effectively address dental ailments like toothaches for all dental patients in the Greater University City, MO region. Find out more on our University City, MO area dental services or book your first appointment and get relief from your toothache today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but the quality and type of pain can differ–in addition to the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the origin of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in University City, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums surrounding the tooth
- Red appearance in the affected area
- Pus or drainage near the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
University City, MO Toothache Causes
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Teeth are actually made up of soft tissue on the inside, filled with a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extremely sensitive, so any amount of inflammation or irritation can produce excruciating toothache pain.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is minute–barely visible or detectable, but if left unaddressed, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities have the potential to crack or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in University City, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can spread to the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. An abscess-related toothache usually come with swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it in their sleep or when stressed. Habitual grinding can turn into a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that tooth roots may become exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a University City, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – It is common for wisdom teeth to become impacted as they begin to come in. Impaction puts pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental issue. You could be suffering from a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Rather, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection that creates pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek medical attention for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments University City, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is to practice proper oral care and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. Though certain toothache causes may not require treatment by a dental professional, your University City, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your University City, MO dentist can address the issue with a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. In a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it as an access point to clear out all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while getting rid of the infected areas and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This University City, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Some extractions are brief and simple procedures that require nothing more than a local anesthetic, while others are more involved procedures that require complete oral surgery. The University City, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center is qualified to provide the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in University City, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection could be managed with antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Restoration
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
Dental Care for Your Toothache University City, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in University City, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in University City, MO begins by} identifying the source of your pain and discomfort. The experienced University City, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center offers families across the University City, MO area quality dental services, including a range of treatment strategies to address toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.