Access professional dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache St. John, MO: an extremely common dental plight that we all dread and fear. Luckily, St. John, MO dentistry has made significant advances in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Just as with any other dental care you receive in St. John, MO, it is important that you seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in St. John, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental providers in the St. John, MO area, we bring excellent dental care that are effective against toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for all dental patients in the Greater St. John, MO region. Learn more on the dental care we provide in the St. John, MO area or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but exactly what that pain feels like can vary–in addition to the accompanying symptoms–depending on the origin of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in St. John, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums around the tooth
- Red appearance around the affected area
- Pus or drainage around the infected tooth
- A foul taste or smell coming from the tooth
St. John, MO Toothache Causes
A toothache can have various causes. Our teeth are filled with soft tissue on the inside, which consists of nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or discernible, but if left unaddressed, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities have the potential to break or shift out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in St. John, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can spread to the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. This type of toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it in their sleep or when stressed. Habitual grinding causes the nerves inside the tooth to become irritated, causing a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a St. John, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – It is common for wisdom teeth to become impacted as they begin to come in. Impaction puts pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You may experience toothache symptoms that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Rather, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection putting pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek the proper medical treatment for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments St. John, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to maintain your oral health and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. However, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. While certain toothache causes may not require treatment by a dental professional, there are several effective treatments your St. John, MO dentist can provide that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your St. John, MO dentist can address the issue with a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. During a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it to clear out all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while getting rid of the infection and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This St. John, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center St. John, MO toothache treatment team can perform the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your St. John, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. An infection may be treated by taking antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache St. John, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in St. John, MO begins by} understanding the source of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented St. John, MO team of dental care professionals provides families across the St. John, MO area access to skilled dental care, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.