Quality St. John, MO dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache St. John, MO: an extremely common dental ailment that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, St. John, MO dentistry has made significant advances in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in St. John, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental providers around St. John, MO, we bring quality dental services that are effective against toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for patients of all ages throughout the Greater St. John, MO region. Find out more on our St. John, MO area dental services or schedule an appointment to address your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but exactly what that pain feels like can be different–as well as the other symptoms–depending on the cause of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in St. John, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums surrounding the tooth
- Redness around the affected area
- Production of pus from the infected tooth
- An unpleasant taste or smell coming from the tooth
St. John, MO Toothache Causes
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Teeth are filled with soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, which consists of nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extraordinarily sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is minute–barely visible or noticeable. However, when cavities are untreated, they can progress and grow, leading to a toothache. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities can crack or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in St. John, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can spread to the jaw, gums, and mouth around it. An abscess-related toothache is often accompanied by swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it at night or when stressed. The grinding can turn into a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a St. John, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. This introduces pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You may experience toothache symptoms without any of the above dental problems. Rather, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection putting pressure in the top back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek the proper medical treatment for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments St. John, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to practice proper oral health and safety when playing sports. However, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. While certain toothache causes may not require treatment by a dental professional, your St. John, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your St. John, MO dentist may recommend a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. Both work against a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. During a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it to clear out all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while removing the infection and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This St. John, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. The St. John, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center is qualified to provide the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your St. John, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. An infection could be managed with antibiotics. A toothache due to grinding or from an injury could be helped by wearing a mouth guard. Following your dentist’s recommendations on removing wisdom teeth can prevent various toothache causes.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Restoration
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
Dental Care for Your Toothache St. John, MO | Plaza Dental Center
The key to successful dental care for your toothache in St. John, MO is dental treatment for your toothache in St. John, MO begins by} determining the source of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented St. John, MO team of dental care professionals offers families across the St. John, MO area quality dental care, including treatments to address toothache pain. You do not have to live with ongoing toothache pain. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.