Quality Bridgeton, MO dental care to address the source of your toothache
Toothache Bridgeton, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental complaint that we all dread and fear. Fortunately, the Bridgeton, MO dental profession has come a long way from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
When you need relief from your toothache in Bridgeton, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals in the Bridgeton, MO area, we provide excellent dental treatments and procedures that effectively address toothaches and all manners of other dental problems for all dental patients in the Greater Bridgeton, MO area. Find out more about the dental care we provide in the Bridgeton, MO area or book your first appointment and get relief from your toothache today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
A toothache is a painful experience, but the quality and type of pain can differ–in addition to the other symptoms–depending on the source of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Bridgeton, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums surrounding the tooth
- Redness around the affected area
- Production of pus around the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Bridgeton, MO Toothache Causes
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Our teeth are actually made up of soft tissue on the inside, filled with nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extraordinarily sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is minute–barely visible or discernible. However, when cavities are unaddressed, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can crack or shift out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in Bridgeton, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can spread to the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. This type of toothache usually come with swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it in their sleep or when stressed. The grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that it leaves tooth roots exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a Bridgeton, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – Many of us must have our wisdom teeth removed because of the risk of impaction. This introduces pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You may experience a toothache that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Rather, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection that creates pressure in the top back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, it is best to first receive the proper medical treatment for the condition causing your pain.
Toothache Treatments Bridgeton, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is preventative care, including practicing oral care and safety when playing sports. However, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. Though sometimes a toothache can be resolved without treatment by a dental professional, your Bridgeton, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that can effectively address your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your Bridgeton, MO dentist can address the issue with a new tooth filling or a crown, which covers the top of the tooth. Both work against a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. During a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it to remove all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while removing the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This Bridgeton, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Bridgeton, MO toothache treatment team is qualified to provide the extraction you need, whether it is for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your Bridgeton, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. An infection could be managed with antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
- Emergency Dentistry
Dental Care for Your Toothache Bridgeton, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Bridgeton, MO begins by} identifying the source of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented Bridgeton, MO team of dental care professionals offers families across the Bridgeton, MO area access to skilled dental services, including treatments for toothache pain. You do not have to live with ongoing toothache pain. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.