Access professional dental care that treats your toothache at the source
Toothache Bridgeton, MO: it is a commonly occurring dental condition that we all dread and fear. Fortunately, the Bridgeton, MO dental profession has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Just as with any other dental care you receive in Bridgeton, MO, it is important that you seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
When you need relief from your toothache in Bridgeton, MO, Plaza Dental Center has the skills and solutions to give you relief. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals around Bridgeton, MO, we provide excellent dental services that effectively address dental issues of all types, including toothaches, for all dental patients in the Greater Bridgeton, MO region. Learn more on the dental care we provide in the Bridgeton, MO area or book your first appointment and get relief from your toothache today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but exactly what that pain feels like can vary–as well as the other symptoms–and are based on the source of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in Bridgeton, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums around the tooth
- Redness in the affected area
- Production of pus from the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
Bridgeton, MO Toothache Causes
A toothache can have various causes. Teeth are filled with soft tissue on the inside, filled with a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extraordinarily sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is minute–barely visible or noticeable, but if left unaddressed, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities have the potential to break or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. This can expose the sensitive part of the tooth and lead to a toothache in Bridgeton, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can spread to the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. An abscess-related toothache usually come with swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth in their sleep or when stressed. Habitual grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – When gum disease is severe enough, the gums can recede to such a degree that tooth roots may become exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a Bridgeton, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – Many of us must have our wisdom teeth removed because of the risk of impaction. Impaction puts pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental issue. You may experience toothache symptoms that does not come from a dental condition like those listed above. Rather, you may have a toothache that comes from something like a sinus infection putting pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, it is best to first receive medical attention for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments Bridgeton, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is preventative care, including practicing oral health and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. While certain toothache causes may not require professional care, your Bridgeton, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your Bridgeton, MO dentist may recommend a new tooth filling or a crown, which caps the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. During a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to clear out all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while removing the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This Bridgeton, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center Bridgeton, MO toothache treatment team can perform a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in Bridgeton, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. For example, an infected tooth could be treated with antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache Bridgeton, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in Bridgeton, MO begins by} identifying the cause of your pain and discomfort. The experienced Bridgeton, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center provides families across the Bridgeton, MO area access to skilled dental services, including a range of treatment strategies to address toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. While we hope to never experience the pain of a toothache, if you or a family develop one, come to us for help by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.