Access professional dental care that treats your toothache at the source
Toothache St. Louis County, MO: an extremely common dental condition that we all dread and fear. Luckily, the St. Louis County, MO dental profession has made significant advances in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Just as with any other dental care you receive in St. Louis County, MO, it is important that you seek to receive treatment in a comfortable environment with a skilled dentist you can count on.
If you are suffering from a toothache in St. Louis County, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. As leaders among dental providers in the St. Louis County, MO area, we provide excellent dental work and procedures that work to target dental ailments like toothaches for all dental patients in the Greater St. Louis County, MO area. Learn more about our St. Louis County, MO area dental services or book your first appointment and get relief from your toothache today by simply calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but the quality and type of pain can vary–as well as the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the origin of the toothache. When you have a toothache in St. Louis County, MO, you may experience the following:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums surrounding the tooth
- Red appearance around the affected area
- Production of pus from the infected tooth
- A foul taste or smell coming from the tooth
St. Louis County, MO Causes of Toothache
You could develop a toothache many different ways. Teeth are filled with soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, which consists of a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extraordinarily sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – When cavities first form, they are minute–barely visible or discernible, but if left untreated, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities have the potential to crack or shift out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Chipped and cracked teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in St. Louis County, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can spread to the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. This type of toothache usually come with swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism refers to grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth in their sleep or when stressed. The grinding causes the nerves inside the tooth to become irritated, causing a toothache.
- Tooth roots that are exposed – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a St. Louis County, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – Many of us must have our wisdom teeth removed because of the risk of impaction. This puts pressure on other teeth and can cause toothache pain in a combination of different teeth based on their location and orientation.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You may experience a toothache without any of the above dental problems. Rather, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection that creates pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, you should first seek the proper medical treatment for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments St. Louis County, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is to practice proper oral care and safety when playing sports. Unfotunately, though, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. Though certain toothache causes may not require professional care, your St. Louis County, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your St. Louis County, MO dentist can address the issue with a new tooth filling or a crown, which caps the top of the tooth. Both work against a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. A toothache related to gum disease or exposed roots can be addressed with tooth scaling and root planing. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. In a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to remove all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while removing the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This St. Louis County, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. The St. Louis County, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center is qualified to provide a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. In some cases, your toothache dentist in St. Louis County, MO may identify that your tooth pain may benefit from additional remedies. An infection could be treated by taking antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Restoration
- Tooth Fillings
- Family Dentistry
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Dental Bonding Procedure
- Dentist Office
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dentistry for Children
- Professional Teeth Whitening
Dental Care for Your Toothache St. Louis County, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in St. Louis County, MO begins by} identifying the source of your pain and discomfort. The experienced St. Louis County, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center offers families across the St. Louis County, MO area quality dental services, including treatments for toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.