Quality St. Louis County, MO dental care to stop your toothache at its source
Toothache St. Louis County, MO: an extremely common dental problem that we all hope we can avoid. Fortunately, the St. Louis County, MO dental profession has made significant advances from the image of the swollen-cheek patient with gauze tied around their head when it comes to toothache diagnosis and treatment. Dental care is important, and you should be able to put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
If you are suffering from a toothache in St. Louis County, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental professionals in the St. Louis County, MO area, we provide excellent dental services that are effective against dental ailments like toothaches for patients of all ages throughout the Greater St. Louis County, MO region. Find out more on the dental care we provide in the St. Louis County, MO area or schedule your toothache treatment today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but the quality and type of pain can differ–in addition to the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the source of the toothache. Developing a toothache in St. Louis County, MO can cause various sensations, such as:
- Pain – either constant, recurring, or eating-related pain characterizes as throbbing, stabbing, sharp, dull, or aching
- Tingling sensation
- Swollen gums around the tooth
- Red appearance around the affected area
- Production of pus around the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
St. Louis County, MO Toothache Causes
A toothache can have various causes. Teeth are actually made up of soft tissue on the inside, filled with nerves and blood vessels. The nerves inside our teeth are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is minute–barely visible or visible. However, when cavities are untreated, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Over many years, fillings placed over cavities can crack or move out of place, leaving the cavitiy again exposed and at risk of developing a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – When force of an object during sports or other types of accidents can crack, chip, or otherwise break a tooth. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in St. Louis County, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess is an infection that starts in the root of the tooth and can spread to the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. An abscess-related toothache usually come with swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses are commonly caused by untreated tooth decay
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Often people with bruxism aren’t consciously aware of their grinding habit and many do it at night or when stressed. Habitual grinding causes the nerves inside the tooth to become irritated, causing a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that it leaves tooth roots exposed. With no protection from the gums, the sensitive roots lead to a St. Louis County, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – Many of us must have our wisdom teeth removed because of the risk of impaction. Impaction applies pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
Sometimes the cause of a toothache isn’t even a dental issue. You may experience toothache symptoms without any of the above dental problems. Rather, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection putting pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, some types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. If that is true for you, you should first seek the proper medical treatment for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments St. Louis County, MO
The best method for warding off a toothache is preventative care, including practicing oral hygiene and safety when playing sports. However, a toothache can form even in those of us to consistently brush, floss, and take care of our teeth as directed. Though certain toothache causes may not require professional care, your St. Louis County, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. For a toothache caused by a growing new cavity or a broken filling, your St. Louis County, MO dentist may recommend a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. Both work against a toothache by protecting the sensitive nerves from contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. When plaque builds up and hardens over time, turning into tartar, the roots and other parts of the tooth become a bacterial breeding ground. It is easy for infection and tooth decay to follow. Together, scaling and planing work to thoroughly clean tooth surfaces and block and prevent gum disease-related toothache pain.
Root Canal. A toothache caused by an abscessed tooth can be treated by your Plaza Dental Center dentist with a root canal procedure. In a root canal, your dentist removes the infected tissue within the tooth. This is accomplished by drilling a very small hole in the top of the tooth and using it as an access point to remove all of the infected tissue throughout the tooth. This toothache treatment method preserves the look of the natural tooth while removing the infection and preventing it from spreading to your gums, jaws, and bloodstream.
Extractions. For a badly damaged tooth that your dentist can not restore, an extraction may be the toothache remedy for you. This St. Louis County, MO toothache treatment is also a way to relieve toothaches and other issues related to impacted wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. Your Plaza Dental Center St. Louis County, MO toothache treatment team is qualified to provide a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your St. Louis County, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. An infection may be treated by taking antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache St. Louis County, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in St. Louis County, MO begins by} identifying the cause of your pain and discomfort. The experienced St. Louis County, MO dental team at Plaza Dental Center provides families across the St. Louis County, MO area access to skilled dental services, including a range of treatment strategies for toothache pain. Relief from toothache pain is possible with the proper dental care. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.