Quality St. Louis, MO dental care that treats your toothache at the source
Toothache St. Louis, MO: an extremely common dental issue that we all dread and fear. Luckily, St. Louis, MO dentistry has made significant advances in the treatment and diagnosis of toothaches from the classic bandage wrapped around a swollen face. Just as with any other dental care you receive in St. Louis, MO, it is important that you put your toothache treatment in the hands of a dentist you can trust from a practice where you feel comfortable.
If you are suffering from a toothache in St. Louis, MO, Plaza Dental Center can provide the toothache pain relief you desire. Armed by a team of caring and talented dental providers in the St. Louis, MO area, we provide quality dental treatments and procedures that are effective against dental ailments like toothaches for all dental patients in the Greater St. Louis, MO area. Find out more about the dental care we provide in the St. Louis, MO area or book your first appointment and get relief from your toothache today by calling us at 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online.
With a toothache, inevitably, comes pain, but the quality and type of pain can be different–as well as the accompanying symptoms–and are based on the cause of the toothache. If you suffer from a toothache in St. Louis, MO, you may feel one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain – throbbing, sharp, stabbing, dull, or aching pain that can be constant, intermittent, or only when you bite or eat
- Tingling sensation
- Swelling of the gums around the tooth
- Red appearance in the affected area
- Production of pus near the infected tooth
- A bad taste or smell coming from the tooth
St. Louis, MO Causes of Toothache
A toothache can have various causes. Teeth are filled with soft tissue underneath the hard outer surface, filled with a bundle of nerves and blood vessels. These particular nerves are extremely sensitive, so you can expect to experience significant toothache pain any time those nerves are irritated or inflamed.
- Cavities and damaged fillings – A cavity begins as something that is very small and barely noticeable. However, when cavities are unaddressed, they can cause a toothache as the cavity continues to grow. Old fillings used to treat previous cavities can crack or shift out of place which also exposes the cavity and leads to a toothache.
- Cracked and chipped teeth – Trauma that occurs when playing sports or getting in some kind of accident can cause a tooth to break, chip, or crack. The broken tooth leaves the sensitive inner tissue exposed, leading to a toothache in St. Louis, MO.
- Dental abscess – An abscess, or an infection, can form in the root of the tooth and can spread to the surrounding mouth and jaw areas. This type of toothache typically brings along symptoms like swelling, heat, pus, or even a fever. Abscesses often form due to tooth decay that is left untreated
- Bruxism – Bruxism is the dental term for grinding or clenching of the teeth. Some people unknowingly grind their teeth in their sleep or when stressed. Habitual grinding can irritate the nerves in the tooth and causes a toothache.
- Exposed tooth roots – Severe gum disease can cause gums to recede so much that it leaves tooth roots exposed. The exposed roots are sensitive and lead to a St. Louis, MO toothache.
- Wisdom teeth – If not removed in time, wisdom teeth can become impacted. Impaction puts pressure on other teeth and can manifest as a toothache with pain affecting multiple teeth depending on how the teeth are oriented and affected.
A toothache isn’t always a strictly dental condition. You may experience toothache symptoms without any of the above dental problems. Instead, your toothache could be caused by a sinus infection that creates pressure in the upper back part of your mouth, certain types of headaches, diabetes, and other conditions. In those cases, it is best to first receive the proper medical treatment for the underlying condition.
Toothache Treatments St. Louis, MO
The best defense against toothaches is to practice proper oral care and safety during potentially dangerous settings such as playing sports. However, even those of us who brush and floss religiously can fall victim to a toothache at one point or another. Though sometimes a toothache can be resolved without professional care, your St. Louis, MO dentist at Plaza Dental Center can perform several treatments that will help you experience relief from your toothache pain.
Fillings and Crowns. When a cavity or damaged filling is the source of your toothache pain, your St. Louis, MO dentist will likely perform a new tooth filling or a crown, which sits over the top of the tooth. They contain a toothache by providing the sensitive tissue within the tooth a layer of protection against contact with air, saliva, and food.
Scaling and Planing. Tooth scaling and root planing are deep cleaning dental tools that address gum disease. Plaque on the surface of our teeth builds up and hardens, becoming tartar. This allows bacteria to flourish on the roots and other parts of the tooth the roots and other parts of the tooth become the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. This often leads to infection and tooth decay. Together, scaling and planing are a deep cleaning method that can prevent and address toothache pain due to gum disease.
Root Canal. If you’re dealing with an abscessed tooth causing your toothache, you can turn to your Plaza Dental Center dentist for a root canal procedure. In a root canal, the infected soft tissue inside the tooth is removed. Your dentist will drill a small opening in the top of the tooth and use it as an access point to remove all of the infected soft tissue from the top of the tooth down into the root. With a root canal, you are able to keep the cosmetic appearance of a healthy tooth while getting rid of the infection and protecting your gums, jaws, and bloodstream from infection too.
Extractions. If your affected tooth is significantly damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, we may need to use an extraction procedure to treat your toothache. This St. Louis, MO toothache treatment is also used for wisdom teeth. Extractions range from a simple procedure using only a local anesthetic to complete oral surgery. The St. Louis, MO toothache treatment team at Plaza Dental Center is qualified to provide a safe and effective extraction for a tooth that is beyond repair or a wisdom tooth that has no room to grow.
Other Toothache Remedies. Your St. Louis, MO toothache dentist might suggest additional toothache remedies. An infection may be treated with antibiotics. A mouth guard can help when the toothache is caused by grinding or an injury. By following the treatment advice of your dentist for removing wisdom teeth, you may be able to avoid potential toothaches.
Plaza Dental Center is ready to provide any general, restorative, or cosmetic dental care you need, such as:
- Dental Emergency
- Gum Contouring
- Broken Tooth Repair
- Tooth Pain Relief
- Periodontal Treatment
- Composite Fillings
- Tooth Pain
- Gingivitis Treatment
- Dentist Near Me
Dental Care for Your Toothache St. Louis, MO | Plaza Dental Center
Quality dental treatment for your toothache in St. Louis, MO begins by} understanding the cause of your pain and discomfort. Plaza Dental Centers talented St. Louis, MO team of dental care professionals offers families across the St. Louis, MO area quality dental care, including a range of treatment strategies to address toothache pain. With our services, you can experience true toothache pain relief. When you experience a toothache that causes you pain you can’t ignore, contact us as soon as possible by calling 314-361-1818 or requesting an appointment online right away.